Sponsored by:

Have I made a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:38 PM
speed12sil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
6gt3 is a bad car for street. 993 is so much a better car for street. Gotta say 6gt3 lives and breathes track- nothing else. Mike
I drove mine on our "nice" city streets and interstates here in NorCal and I thought the ride was okay. Then again I find anything that rides better than a go-kart is tolerable so
Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

it's not so much the ride, but the ability to get in the 6500 - 8200rpm zone.
need mega, unpoliced room.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
where did you do this, kind sir?
there are a few in USA. but i drove it in HK
Old 04-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Chris R. can pedal his GT3 around Tremblant pretty fast as well.
Love it when he goes from third gear to second between turn four and five at Tremblant.
He promised he'd scare me when he'd take me out....Maybe this year!?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Exigent
Track Day

It's a great track car and not a bad street car as long as you can accept the compromises. Great cars are great cars but depending on how you use me some cars are greater than others.

Sounds like a 996tt would suit you well or a newer GT3 with PASM.

You didn't make a mistake, you participated in a learning experience.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:06 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
there are a few in USA. but i drove it in HK
nice work, didn't realise there were some in the u.s.
i suppose with auctions a car can be bought and shipped anywhere if you have the money and inclination.
some years ago, i once saw 2 at the same dealer, at the same time.
one touring and one cs. i was drooling quite profoundly....
Old 04-11-2013, 11:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
nice work, didn't realise there were some in the u.s.
i suppose with auctions a car can be bought and shipped anywhere if you have the money and inclination.
some years ago, i once saw 2 at the same dealer, at the same time.
one touring and one cs. i was drooling quite profoundly....
one of them belong to a swede. he used to thrash it on track. ballsy. i would not put it on track.

driving on wrong side of road for me was nervous. i often got it wrong and see oncoming traffic
Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944

I don't agree with the "only good for track" comments. Aside from the brutal suspension, the car is nimble with instant response. The power is not excessive. It's still the best tool for taking a freeway off-ramp at speed, or carving up a nice mountain road.
+1
Mine is my only car and I live in central London, I can't wait for the weekends to go for a drive. The sound, the response, the agility, love it. Totally get what you're saying though but try and give it time. Coming from a modded carrera which was very compliant on back roads to the gt3 was a shock and honestly thought the same, the car almost scared me it was so brutal on bumpy roads. Now I'm used to it and can't wait to get on those same roads.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With near stock springs and adjustable jrz's street is great. With Charles new exhaust triple loud REALLY hard to get above 7k without waking the dead. Fun.
Keep it for a yr. you won't lose much and gain lots of fun

Mike
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 57 Posts

Yes, I think you have actually. That car belongs to a driver. Sell it.....or get up it and you will love it. The middle ground is no go.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwane
Love it when he goes from third gear to second between turn four and five at Tremblant.
He promised he'd scare me when he'd take me out....Maybe this year!?
Dwane, count on it!! Well, maybe not scare you but a good, fun ride for sure.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:32 AM
BuckeyeDrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by Serge944
Maybe it's the sound. 996 GT3s don't sound good with the stock split exhaust banks. Merge the two banks together and enjoy the improved 997-esque sound. Having owned a 996 3.6, built a 4.0, and now a 997.2, this is absolutely the first mod I would make to a 996.

I don't agree with the "only good for track" comments. Aside from the brutal suspension, the car is nimble with instant response. The power is not excessive. It's still the best tool for taking a freeway off-ramp at speed, or carving up a nice mountain road.

Only 2 dissapointments for me on my 6gt3: wheels and exhaust. I do not care for the deep pitch on the 6. The exhaust note on the 7gt3 is much better (higher pitch). I changed my mufflers to Cargraphic and it is better (louder) but still not great.

I would love to get this sounding like a 7gt3. Is that a possibility without spending $5 to $8k to do it?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
I'm sort of in the same situation other then I still have my DE prepped 993 in my garage, well actually my trailer but anyway... Chuck and others have also told me once I drive the 6GT3 on the track there will be no doubt which to keep. I am going to drive both of them on the track back to back in May at Tremblant. I know the 6GT3 will be faster and allow me to hang on a bit closer to the rest of the pack of GT3's I run with but if its not that much more fun then I will be keeping the 993 and eventually letting the 6GT3 go.
Carm,

You have to keep the car between 7000-8000rpm, pedal to the floor all the time. Until I learned to do that, I couldn't get this car to settle. I agree with everyone else, its not alive until you are close to the limit....and then she will give you even more! But you have to be that kind of driver. Sunday driving won't thrill you, skid pads will get boring, slow tracks with lots of turns are excruciating, but fast off camber asphalt with long sweeps and fast turns will simply be a blast.
If you ever decide to "let it go" shoot me an email. Everytime I see Francois's car, I get pangs of regret.

Vince
Old 05-04-2013, 12:31 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
If you ever decide to "let it go" shoot me an email. Everytime I see Francois's car, I get pangs of regret.

Vince
Funny, I was kind of wondering about that every time I saw you on the track last weekend.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
Carm,

You have to keep the car between 7000-8000rpm, pedal to the floor all the time. Until I learned to do that, I couldn't get this car to settle. I agree with everyone else, its not alive until you are close to the limit....and then she will give you even more! But you have to be that kind of driver. Sunday driving won't thrill you, skid pads will get boring, slow tracks with lots of turns are excruciating, but fast off camber asphalt with long sweeps and fast turns will simply be a blast.

Vince
I wish I would have known about the 7to8k rpm thing before last Wed when I was in Tremblant. I only got it up to just over 7k while I was getting to know the car and it felt very fast and super composed. Taking turns 1 to 3 at Tremblant in the GT3 especially with that big *** wing made the car so well composed, no bumpity bump like I get with the 993. The SpeedTech Exhaust http://www.speedtechexhausts.com/ I ordered for the car should be arriving this week. It will shave 50 pounds off the rear and should give it a bit more of a growl.
So you and Francois were at Mosport some time last week?

Quick Reply: Have I made a mistake?