Sponsored by:

GT3 Competitiveness in TTS with NASA

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:59 AM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Ace - try not to drive one. I did and now got rid of my 04 C5Z in favor of 6GT3. It is awesome!!!
...too late...

I've had a bad case of GT3itis for a couple of years, came very close to pulling the trigger on a White '05 last year (drove it all day and it was a blessing/curse), but it had issues and a bad past. Now, I've a local GT3 haunting my dreams, when I"m able to fall asleep, and I don't think I can resist any longer.
My C5Z is a pure beast, almost perfect for me, but I haven't had the "connected" feeling with it, or my past magnacharged Z, as I've had with other vehicles...'05 Elise was purely telepathic but too slow and cramped.
I believe the 6GT3 will be the dance partner I've been searching for all this time. Say a little prayer for me and I should be joining this forum as more than a lurker...

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Clearly I don't have a clue about corvette susp hehe..
Perhaps, but after watching your video, you know enough about how to hustle that RS around a track!!!!

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
However if you like the sensation of driving then it's hard to like corvettes but if you want to go really fast it's hard to ignore them.
You know, overall, the C5Z is great car and that's driven by many factors....super wide rubberability, very adjustable suspension, endlessly moddable engine, light (relatively), but unless one does an extensive suspension overhaul (monoballs/bushings/coilovers/sways) then the car just doesn't "feel" the same as other trackable cars. I hear you, and that same "sensation" is what causes many to label the Vette as "numb" or "disconnected". I also believe a major part of that is with the steering feel, even my prior STI had better steering feel, and there's no way a car with a big 'ol V8 up front is gonna approach the level of connectedness/response as a car with the engine behind (or WAY behind) the seats.

I'm done trying to be the fastest. Now it's all about the fun and sharing that fun with my students.

Be good,
TomK

Last edited by ace996; 02-25-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just found out I'm racing against the 'Nationals' STU (camaro) winner next weekend in his ST2/TTS Corvette at Cal Speedway. He's very fast and kicks *** in T1 with the Corvette. We've never run against each other before so this should be really interesting. CS favors the high HP Vette, but the Porsche should outbrake him and hopefully handle better on the infield. Tires get very hot on the banking, my Yokohama Patron-Cup slicks should last longer than his DOT Hoosier's, R or A compounds. I'm really looking forward to the matchup....
Old 02-27-2011, 12:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Good luck JR. We'll be waiting for your updates and results.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:56 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

complete coverage JR please
Old 02-27-2011, 06:43 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Hell I'm nervous about it already. I just switched to Clubsports and went to softer springs (550/700) so I have no idea what I'm bringing to the table. Test-n-tune on Friday should be interesting....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 02-27-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice - waiting to hear back.

I missed out on Yoko slicks, by the time I called them it was all over which is too bad!! Sticking to Hoosiers for now.

I continue to have very bad thoughts about gutting the car and putting a cage in it to go ST2. Just can't bring myself up to really make that call. Need to spend more time behind the wheel and get used to it. Good thing there is no rush.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Hell I'm nervous about it already. I just switched to Clubsports and went to softer springs (550/700) so I have no idea what I'm bringing to the table. Test-n-tune on Friday should be interesting....
What prompted the change in spring rate?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by va122
What prompted the change in spring rate?
A couple of things. I just tried going stiffer at my last race from 700/900 to 900/1100. The car was very harsh and unforgiving. It may or may not have been faster, but it wasn't any fun to drive at just 2600lbs. w/driver. So I thought lets go the other direction and try softer. I'll now have the cannisters to help balance the car via pressures. If I don't like it I'll go back up to 700/900 but doubt I'd ever run the stiffer springs again....
Old 02-28-2011, 02:38 AM
wanna911
Race Car

To get a GT3 to the level of those Vette's would take a lot of money. They are on the very edge of the class, with custom gearboxes, and some of them are getting extra HP to add by running 275 rear tires so they are actually 8.4:1 weight/power ratio. Don't know if that's feasable on a GT3.

You'd basically have to get your car to early 996 Cup prep, then you could beat them.

Hoosier R's are not competitive vs the faster cars. A's don't last long, but then again, you don't need them to. Once you are fast you will catch traffic in a couple of laps anyways. If you can win in your region and there are enough entries, you could win some more tires and save money.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wanna911
To get a GT3 to the level of those Vette's would take a lot of money. They are on the very edge of the class, with custom gearboxes, and some of them are getting extra HP to add by running 275 rear tires so they are actually 8.4:1 weight/power ratio. Don't know if that's feasable on a GT3.

You'd basically have to get your car to early 996 Cup prep, then you could beat them.

Hoosier R's are not competitive vs the faster cars. A's don't last long, but then again, you don't need them to. Once you are fast you will catch traffic in a couple of laps anyways. If you can win in your region and there are enough entries, you could win some more tires and save money.

The fastest 2 cars in TTS at Miller last fall were a RX7 and a Honda Civic. The fastest Corvette, who won in 09', was a 1/2 second back. In 09', Corvettes did win first and second with the Honda in 3rd. I'm fairly confident I would have won had I run as my fastest ST2 race lap was faster than the fastest TTS lap (same class parameters).

As I said at he beginning of this thread, a well driven GT3, set up light and at the class limits, can beat a TTS Corvette. They're close in weight and HP, and the GT3 with proper suspension should handle better and out-brake the Corvette so why wouldn't the GT3 win? And a GT3 could run 275's square if someone wanted to experiment. Big wing, full stiif front, full soft rear, now that might be a hoot.....
Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
The fastest 2 cars in TTS at Miller last fall were a RX7 and a Honda Civic. The fastest Corvette, who won in 09', was a 1/2 second back. In 09', Corvettes did win first and second with the Honda in 3rd. I'm fairly confident I would have won had I run as my fastest ST2 race lap was faster than the fastest TTS lap (same class parameters).

As I said at he beginning of this thread, a well driven GT3, set up light and at the class limits, can beat a TTS Corvette. They're close in weight and HP, and the GT3 with proper suspension should handle better and out-brake the Corvette so why wouldn't the GT3 win? And a GT3 could run 275's square if someone wanted to experiment. Big wing, full stiif front, full soft rear, now that might be a hoot.....

The fastest TTS Corvettes were not at Miller. They WILL be at Mid Ohio.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:53 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wanna911
The fastest TTS Corvettes were not at Miller. They WILL be at Mid Ohio.
Good, me too. I Hope they run ST2 with me....
Old 02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
va122
Drifting

Show them who's boss JR
Old 02-28-2011, 07:14 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Jr had a good comparison versus Ken's times year before. Ken's car is pretty damn quick. Either way this should be a very good ST2 field and I most certainly hope Jr will have a great result. I'll be there for the Spec E30 race, so I'll be on the sideline cheerleading for ya!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inverterman
Where is 4porsch in all this? He's tearing up the West Coast tracks in Dell's 6 GT3. Lots of fun turning 1:37's at Laguna in a "street car" on R compounds.

Good times

Amen!! I have been a passanger in that beast and with Joe behind the wheel long enough at that track, I could see him breaking into the low 1:36's if not the high 1:35's if the planets are all lined up.

Quick Reply: GT3 Competitiveness in TTS with NASA