Newbie Track / DE Chronicle!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Newbie Track / DE Chronicle!

Hi all,

Remember this post? Can't believe I have had the GT3 for almost 9 months now. The car has been great, no problem whatsoever. Just filled up the gas and go. Put almost 4,000 miles on it so far!

Anyway, it is only natural (since I hang around the GT2/3 forum most of time) that I'm looking into driving the car on the track. (Bad influence from you guys, bad, bad!)

As mentioned before in my introductory post, I don't have any prior tracking driving experience (heck, actually have not owned a performance vehicle prior to GT3! ) so I'm literally starting at 0. So I figured that it would be kind of interesting to document the progress and lessons learned going from zero to hero.

So far I have signed up for 4 DEs in April and May. (I learned my lesson when I couldn't sign up for the last DE last year, as the green group sold out rather quickly)

So lesson #1, newbies, find out when the registration opens, and sign up right away!! (bookmark the website http://www.clubregistration.net!)

My first DE will be Lime Rock, 4/5/10! (So if any of you are attending, please stop by to say hi to the very slow #125.. !)

2nd DE will be the novice day at Lime Rock, 4/17/10.

Next one is New Hampshire Motor Speedway novice day, 5/7/10.

And then Monticello, 5/20-21 (2 days event).

All 4 events are w/ PCA (various regions, however)
Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

For the past few months, I have been collecting parts.. trying to make the GT3 "mine".. some of the stuff so far..

Fire extinguisher w/ mount
6-Point Harness (Schroth)
HANS device
Helmet
Attached Images     
Old 04-03-2010, 11:50 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

If the schroth shoulders are the 3 inch wide ones it will overlap the Hans collar- either rubs your next or overlap outside of Hans. I ordered the 2/3 ones. Mike
Old 04-03-2010, 11:52 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Some more stuff..

BK harness mounting hardware
BK seat sidemounts (for Sparco seats)
BK sub bars (not pictured)

I'm still waiting for a pair of Sparco Pro 2000 seats.. not sure when they will get here..
Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2010, 11:56 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Mike,

Yeah, they are the 3" version.. From the research I did, I thought the 3" are okay for HANS while 2" is HANS only. (Is that not correct?) So I figured that 3" is more versatile? (I have no idea if my instructor will have HANS or not, for example..)

Can always change out the shoulder belt if that's an issue, I assume.

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
If the schroth shoulders are the 3 inch wide ones it will overlap the Hans collar- either rubs your next or overlap outside of Hans. I ordered the 2/3 ones. Mike
Old 04-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Carefree
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"My first DE will be Lime Rock, 4/5/10! (So if any of you are attending, please stop by to say hi to the very slow #125.. !)"

Sorry to hear that you already know you are going to be "very slow".
Put a Kia emblem on it and maybe no one will notice..... Just give er' hell and you will be pleased.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

So it does not appear that I will have the seats in time (although ordered awhile ago) for my first DE.. no biggie.. hopefully be ready for my 2nd or 3rd.. !

Anyway, next up, take the car to get tech inspected. I made a post about this and I ended up taking it to a nearby race shop, Musante Motorsports. While there, also did an oil change and brake flush.

Some pics of the car while it is there.. ! (notice the Cup bake duct and aftermarket sway bar links from the previous owner)
Attached Images     
Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

3" will work with HANS but 2 " is the ideal size for a HANS device.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:06 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Well, the slowness does not reflect badly on the car.. people will know that it is the driver...

But I will be willing to listen and learn.. no ego here.. we all got to start somewhere, I guess.. !!

Originally Posted by Carefree
Sorry to hear that you already know you are going to be "very slow".
Put a Kia emblem on it and maybe no one will notice..... Just give er' hell and you will be pleased.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:08 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Bob,

Thanks for that info. I will run the 3" for now. If one day I become solo (that should be awhile..), I will change to 2" shoulder belt then.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
3" will work with HANS but 2" is the ideal size for a HANS device.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Good luck. Do not worry about being fast or slow just listen to your instructor.
You must start/learn a base before you can get to the top of the pyramid/pointy end.
Have fun and feel the car.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:15 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Yeah, not gonna worry about pointing by other cars..

It will be the first time driving on track for me and I know that I'm no Hurley Haywood.. so no worry.. !!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:20 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Did my first DIY w/ GT3 today.. changed out the air filter. I'm a believer in using OEM filter (instead of performance aftermarket unit) but change it at higher frequency. I plan to change the filter every 10,000 miles.

It was an easy job. Can be done in 20-30 minutes or so. (even for someone who have never worked on it before)

Notice the old filter is dirty.. ! However, it sure did its job. On the filtered side of the air box, it is virtually brand new with no sign of any dust at all!
Attached Images    
Old 04-04-2010, 12:26 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

My tip for the air filter change:

-> Keep an eye on the 2 rubber grommets where the airbox attaches to the chassis. Don't lose them.. !

-> Rotate the hose clamp so you can use a socket in the future. (see pic) Make it a lot easier compare to try to use a screwdriver in there.. not much room!
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2010, 02:29 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

Are instructor's able to drive your car? U can order Hans only for driver side only. It's just not shoulder belts but lap belts as well that are 2 inch. Lap is straight 2 inch and shoulder is 2 inch then 3 inch to buckle. I know 3 inch will work but 2 inch way more comfortable- does not rub your neck and on the track u want to be comfortable. Just a thought. Mike

Quick Reply: Newbie Track / DE Chronicle!