Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Track / DE Chronicle!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe later this year I will go for a set of black C14 w/ some NT-01.. wa!! I don't print money like you guys!!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Modoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Maybe later this year I will go for a set of black C14 w/ some NT-01.. wa!! I don't print money like you guys!!
Eric,
Sounds like your having a great time. With your approach, I think you will be moving up thru groups faster than you think. My prediction is a new set of wheels by this winter.. . but don't rush it.
I still have this 24ft ATC just waiting for you....hahaha.
Has your wife finished her fellowship? Is she going to the track with you?

Joe

After reading your posts, I really am missing that GT3
Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Hi Joe,

Thanks for checking in. You have been most helpful. I'm still waiting for my seats so I can't use the harness and HANS Device yet, but no worry, they will be put to good use in no time!

I just finished my 2nd DE day at Lime Rock this past Saturday.. and got a few more DE days signed up already.. !!

Wife still has about 1.2 yrs to go until she is done w/ her fellowship.. ! She doesn't go w/ me to the track.. ha!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Newbie DE Chronicle continues...

2nd DE day ever.. once again at Lime Rock, so that was good.. I thought, great, I have an idea on what the track looks like this time around.. so that should help..

The day before, it started to rain.. argh.. I know DE runs rain or shine, but I didn't know if I was ready for driving in the rain yet.. oh well, what can you do, right?

At least I came prepared.. w/ foam pad and plastic sheet to put stuff on.. also brought a folding chair this time.. (last time I saw people w/ those folding chair, so monkey see, monkey do..)
Attached Images   
Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

First session the track was still wet. The wiper was on the whole time. Everyone was taking it easy. This particular DE was a "novice day" (green/yellow mostly, with very few white.. of course, a lot of instructors), so you can imagine that everyone in the green was very careful in the wet.. some, maybe too careful! (Yes, there were a few that's greener than me this time.. first time ever on track.. ! )

The rain stopped after (or during?) the 1st session. So we actually got dry session for the rest of the day. So it turned out better than I expected!

Anyway, 2nd time around, I definitely felt more confident. Decided to add in up shift to 4th in the straight and downshift back to 3rd into the program. (Last time the instructor told me to keep it in 3rd, to concentrate on the line first..) I seemed to have more "mental capacity" this time. I don't know if I'm going faster or not (time to install the Traqmate!) but it certainly felt more "normal" to be going fast, braking hard, all while having cars around me, this time around.

I also had a different instructor this time and he certainly has a different method. When I'm not steering enough, he would actually reach out and try to grab my steering wheel! He certainly let me know that I can turn harder!! (before I wasn't sure if my steering input would be too much for the tire / suspension / etc. of course, that's more from the lack of experience..) So we are hitting apex a lot more.. and generating more g-force and speed. The line is certainly a lot better (just from the fact that I now turn in earlier and turn harder on the steering wheel) so that was encouraging.

Overall, I was pretty happy w/ the day. I have no idea if I was going any faster, but definitely feel more comfortable driving on the track. We never had to point by any car that day (not once!), and catch up to many cars through out the day. At one point, the instructor told me to pull into the pit lane to let the train in front of us go by so we can have a clean track ahead. So that was pretty cool.

Of course, it was not really about me being fast -> It was mostly due to the fact that there were even less experienced people on track + GT3 = rocketship.. But you all know that already.. !
Old 04-21-2010, 12:11 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Good to heat you're more comfortable with car and yourself : ). I guess if u had a worse day then last time u be under that tarp : ). Good going. Rain certainly teaches u to be smooth- all u have to do is do the same in dry cept whole lot faster : ). Mike
Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Some self reflection on the day:

- have more mental capacity while on track - actually noticed the flag stations and people holding the flags now, for example..

- picked up a couple more reference points.. instead of the cones.. (using trees and such.. in case in the future there's no cones around the track)

- still not smooth w/ downshifting but did not chirp the tires this time and was able to downshift "okay" (not great) maybe 75% of the time.. but do find myself needing to brake earlier if I want to execute the downshift and turn in on time.. So plenty to work on there..

- knowing that I can turn harder on the steering wheel.. I think I took the 1st instructor's comment about "minimize steering input" a little bit too literally

- a lot more comfortable passing.. it was scary before because it would mess up my line but we got a lot of practice this time around w/ the slower cars, so we had to pass, and hit the apex still without having the ideal entry line. so good practice..

- still find myself following the front car sometimes. instructor had to remind me a couple of times that the car in front of us were "doing it all wrong" so just "drive your line, don't follow"

- in some turns we are generating decent g-force. I saw the instructor holding on to the door handle on the side. so I look forward to the bucket seats. it would provide the instructor with a better environment.

Conclusion?! Some improvements but still so much to learn. I still remember the sensation of being driven by an instructor last November. I'm nowhere near that. Nowhere. So just got to keep at it, I guess!! (I'm a slow learner.. !)
Old 04-21-2010, 12:21 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike.. yeah, it wasn't bad.. had another fun day and return home safely.. so it was a good day overall. I do now wish I got the Traqmate installed so I can see if I'm actually making any progress or not. Ha! But at least I do feel more comfortable driving at speed w/ other cars.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Excellent, Eric. I'm glad to hear you're having a great time out there. About that Traqmate....don't bother with it yet. It'll just distract you. Just focus on the art of driving. As you said you have so much more to learn so there is really no point in worrying about lap times. Save that for when you're consistent enough to compare different setups, tires, line choice, etc.

Cheers,
Old 04-21-2010, 01:29 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Allan,

Thanks for the feedback. The only reason I mentioned Traqmate is because I have that already. When Modoc sold me the car, he also gave me his Traqmate and ChaseCam setup. Otherwise, I agree that it won't be high on my priority at my stage of learning.

But yeah, no hurry.. but was just curious on if I am actually going faster or no between each track day..
Old 04-21-2010, 01:31 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

^listen to him and ME : ). Mike
Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

I think somebody did warn me about this "slippery slope" thing...

Anyway, received my seats (finally!) last Thursday. Spent Thursday and Friday night doing the installation myself.. I decided to go w/ a slightly different route.. I know the factory Recaro GT3 seats are popular because they are OEM but decided to go w/ a pair of Sparco Pro 2000 as they are significantly cheaper (compare to new GT3 seats price.. probably about the same as a pair of used ones once you add up the side mounts, etc.). Also, they look (my opinion only, of course) slightly better.. not as wide at the top, ha!!

Using the BK side mounts and re-use the stock manual sliders. So the install was slightly more complicated compare to a standard GT3 seats install. I had to partially disassemble the stock seats in order to remove the manual sliders, and then build it up w/ the new side mounts and the seats.

Anyway, here's the result! Put all the parts (Schroth harness + fire extinguisher) that I collected to good use now!!

Before you think that I'm in over my head (since I'm still a beginner), I think that if people (the instructors) are volunteering to teach me how to drive at speed, the least I can do is provide them w/ a safe environment w/ proper safety equipments. With the harness now, they can wear their HANS devices, for example..

It was fun doing all the work myself. Had to buy some new tools (torx socket and driver sets) but I feel like I got to know the car more now! Also, the DIY on Rennlist has been very helpful as well!
Attached Images    
Old 05-02-2010, 09:28 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Over your head? Nope. I consider seats, bar and harness to be safety equipment. Kudos to you.

When I started autocrossing my GT3 I quickly found out at the end of a long slalom that I needed better seats (as I was sliding from the door to the center console). Better seats (and harnesses) keep you "as one" with the car and you will detect the car sliding earlier. No more question if the car is moving or your butt. Sooner notice of a slide means a small correction to fix. Large corrections on a rear engined car can be futile at times.... BTDT.

Now you're almost in a free fall down that slippery slope. Enjoy the ride!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the "encouragement" (I guess?).. hee hee..

I can't wait to try it out in action this Friday.. got another DE day coming up in New Hampshire International Speedway.. it is a novice day so in the morning there's skip pad and braking exercises.. and in the afternoon there's 3 sessions on the road course.. looking forward to it.. !
Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Before you think that I'm in over my head (since I'm still a beginner), I think that if people (the instructors) are volunteering to teach me how to drive at speed, the least I can do is provide them w/ a safe environment w/ proper safety equipments. With the harness now, they can wear their HANS devices, for example..
I don't think anyone here would ever accuse you of being in over your head because you put in safety equipment! Good on ya!

It was fun doing all the work myself. Had to buy some new tools (torx socket and driver sets) but I feel like I got to know the car more now! Also, the DIY on Rennlist has been very helpful as well!
Car looks good! You will be VERY happy with your new found attachment to the car. It will make you more comfortable at speed, increase your confidence and (ultimately) make you faster.

Keep sliding down the slippery slope. We'll break your fall!

-td

Quick Reply: Newbie Track / DE Chronicle!