Wheel Recommendations for track use

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Stiggy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Recommendations for track use

Hello all,

First, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Stiggy. I've had an '04 996 GT3 for some time now. It has around 11,000 miles on it so far. The car has had some modifications done do it. All of which were done by RUF.

I've been recently getting more and more involved in track days.

I began researching various types of wheels. My main agenda is weight and durability first, style second. I found some nice carbon fiber wheels but I'm weary of them because they don't flex as well as magnesium or aluminum.

Candidates are:

1) HRE CF 40 (pricey, I know)
2) Dymag Carbon
3) BBS E88 (Forged Aluminum)
4) BBS RE RE-MG (magnesium)

I'd like to be at around 17 lbs per wheel.

Anyways, if you guys would be so kind, I have two questions:

1) What wheels would you recommend? Please include other wheels that I didn't add here.

2) Do you know how much the stock 996 GT3 wheels weigh? (the figure I found was roughly 22-24lbs per wheel and I wanted to make sure)

I realise this is my first post. However, I do appreciate the help with this either way.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Welcome.
Seven pages.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

In the 17 pound range, you're looking at magnesium. The E-88s are most probably around 19 pounds and that's pretty much the standard of light forged wheel. My CCW were 18 and 19 pounds in 18''. I had almost bought BBS one piece mag. but had herd that if you tend to ride the turtles a little bit too much, to stay away from mag wheels cause they wouldn't last long.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I think factory rears around around 28lbs. Can't remember. Weights are somewhere in the archives.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 PM
CT03911
Banned

CCW wheels
http://www.ccwheel.com/files/home.php
Many happy customers here, myself included. Light, strong, super easy to clean, wheel weights stick, priced right.
The company is a pleasure to do business with.
No affiliation, just satisfied.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I'd like to be at around 17 lbs per wheel.
Why? Unless you're a pro or racing for money, you'll never notice the difference between those and all the terrific wheels that weigh only a few pounds more, cost a lot less and last a lot longer.

Maybe they're perfectly safe, but I think you'd have to be nuts to even consider CF wheels for track use.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are much better ways to spend money making your car work better on track than wheels. Instruction for example.

That being said I have always had great luck with BBS wheels on the track

I have HREs on my gt3 and they are great. No idea what they weigh. Model 540R iirc
Old 01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to throw another option in the ring:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
18.8 lbs/front, 20.4 lbs/back

10 pages, at least.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

CCWs Used them for many years on my near-400 hp RX-7, and several years with my GT3. Light and strong.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:10 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

CCWs. Had 2 sets. Good value, outstanding customer service by John
Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I use a set of OZ Superleggera IIIs. Not the lightest but durable and relatively inexpensive.

I know of some sets from other cars that are 7 years old and still ok.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Just to throw another option in the ring:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
18.8 lbs/front, 20.4 lbs/back

10 pages, at least.
I have these, love them. super light. (Don't remember exactly like 18lb)
I also have the e88s and they are hands down the best wheel you can buy.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a set of OZ Superleggera IIIs. Not the lightest but durable and relatively inexpensive.

I know of some sets from other cars that are 7 years old and still ok
I have those on my 996TT X50 as street wheels. Relatively light, they are very strong, and look GREAT!
The Allegeritas are lighter and cheaper.

BTW, I use hollow turbo twists for the track. Works for me.
+1 on the comment about wheel weight not being discernible (particularly by someone just starting to do track events). Just get a relatively light, and strong, set of wheels.
Spend your money on suspension upgrades, sticky tires, and brakes.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:15 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bbs e88 - I have them, love them BUT they are a pain in the a$$ to keep clean.. I gave up

ccw - I bought used and they are tough and do the job

Fikse - I had profil 13s and they were fine... I lost confidence when the company was on the rocks and the doors were locked and no one was answering the phone... reportedly they are back in business under new ownership and now based in Canada

Jongbloed - I recently acquired these (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...loed-550s.html) and they are light and well built... made in USA, which I like and very good quality
Old 01-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Stiggy
Track Day

Thanks to all who replied. I am going through the links you posted and doing my due diligence on the recommended wheels.

I didn't even consider CCW, but I guess I was wrong in doing so. Looks like they have some happy customers.

I guess I should address why I am considering a set of wheels. I tend to use my car for both street and track. I know semi slicks are decent at this, but I take long trips from time to time and that would diminish the tires quickly.

I don't want to keep swapping tires on the same set of wheels either. I think I would increase the risk of damaging them. It is also a pain to go through the process every two weeks or so.

I decided to get a set of wheels for track tires. I'd probably throw some Hoosiers on there as well (but that's a different topic). I started to look at lower prices, but I kept my priorities on weight and durability. I would like the best for my car with a reasonable price tag (which is why I posted this thread).

I know the benefit of carbon wheels is minimal for a regular driver. And to be honest, the BBS E88 is leading the pack at this moment. That wheel is neither carbon nor magnesium. I still have some interest in Dymag, but I don't think I'll be able to justify the price difference.

I would like to clarify two points though:

- Although I began to track my GT3, I have frequented the track with many different cars for the past 11 years. (I'm still not that good though )

- My GT3 is tuned: Upgraded steel brake lines, RUF adjusted suspension (camber has been adjusted as well), RUF ECU upgrade, RUF exhaust, RUF headers, RUF downpipe, RUF gasket, RUF short shifter, RUF clutch

I don't plan on selling my car in the foreseeable future, so I don't mind spending a little extra to get something quality for the long term.

Thanks again for the advice guys! I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Wheel Recommendations for track use