Sponsored by:

Considering Buying a GT3 2004 for Track Use

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,296 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I know. I don't think any of us would want to see the aftermath of racing these babies door to door.

with regard to the LSD: They come from the factory with 11 lbs. of break away torque. Too low for a car like this. But okay, that's what it comes with. After about a year or so of tracking the car, your back end will become a little loose and mostly under heavy braking. You'll also find that your later on the throttle coming out of a turn than you used to be because you don't have the same level of grip coming off said turn.

So you bring it your shop. They test it and say, "Yup, your LSD is fried". So you bring it into the dealer under warranty and they say, "Well it's at 3-6 pounds of break away torque... without our specs". You find that it's futile to argue for a new diff, so you go aftermarket and get it done better than factory. Really I'm not bitter.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I love my GT3. As of now it's got about 8000 miles on it. When I got it in the summer of 2007 it had 980 miles on it. Most of my mileage since I got it home from Chicago with about 2000 miles on it has been track.

I've got steel rotors, seats, harnesses, DAS rollbar, toe links, cup car brake cooling ducts, Pagid pads and a good alignment.

Until I am as fast as a few of the guys I run with I'm resisting any mods. I'm getting closer.

The car is durable. It has some quirks but what car doesn't? I haven't encountered LSD failure yet. When I do I'll put a more track oriented unit in place of the stock part.

I like the fact it doesn't have a sunroof, doesn't have TC and PSM and it is me drivng the car. I give it a healthy respect as the car does what you tell it to do NOW, good or bad.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

To track a 996 GT3 you need:
Cup brake ducts - RS 19 front pads, RS 14 rear pads, that way your front rotors will last 25 track days. Pads are good for 5 or so in front, double that in back.

Track alignment is a must. Search for the Kussmaul alignment I posted here years ago.

Rear toe links - they prevent the rear toe from being upset by even small bumps and costing you an alignment every time you use the car.

You will probably want R compound tires to truly appreciate the handling. Michelin Cups preferred.

Do not change gears abruptly - pause a heartbeat between shifts and the syncros will last forever. Snap shift and you'll be spending money on the transmission in short order.

I put 25,000 miles (42,000 KMs to be exact) on my 6GT3 and did not have a problem with the differential so YMMV.

The car is essentially bullet-proof and stands up to track days without complaint. Better than anything else I've seen. Change the engine oil often and the tranny fluid every ten track days and you'll have a lot of fun with no hassles.

Best,
Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 PM
lucroberts
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with you relative to the "me driving the car". The SC (as all early 911's) does not have Power Steering, TC, PSM, ABS or even LSD. It's like a go-kart with a body shell. There is no forgiving.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jetmech
The best advice....learn how to drive one before the modifications. going from your 200 HP car, you will spin this car your first time out...you don't need the mods....once you learn to drive her, your driving will tell you want you want...such as suspension, tires, etc. The car has more to offer than most people can drive. it will reward you, but again, learn to drive her slowly, and don't ever get on the gas too early... The market is great....if you feel your a mod type person....wait for one that has it all done..you will be saving money on parts and installation. pay for a good PPI from someplace you trust. There are some hack jobs out there, so be cautious...verify everything!

hope to see you out on the track some day!
In a nutshell right there, what I would have said.

I say go for it
Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
To track a 996 GT3 you need:
Cup brake ducts - RS 19 front pads, RS 14 rear pads, that way your front rotors will last 25 track days. Pads are good for 5 or so in front, double that in back.
I did about 25-30 days last year. I get longer life than Bob mentions out of my rotors and pads but I know I'm not as hard on brakes as some. Full cooldown lap really helps.

I use RS19 fronts and RS14 rears.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Only 7000 miles on car- I'll find out I guess.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 PM
lucroberts
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Bob, Chris, Pete and the other GT3 Rennlisters on this thread. You guys already convinced me.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:03 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Dell has an open invitation to come west and drive her on the track anytime.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:45 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the fact it doesn't have a sunroof, doesn't have TC and PSM and it is me drivng the car. I give it a healthy respect as the car does what you tell it to do NOW, good or bad.

Amen. That's why I love her.

Treat her with care and respect and she just might not bite you.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:47 PM
va122
Drifting

Woah! Did i read you're looking at cars that had engine damage?!? That to me is a red flag especially for a track car. Please do your due diligence
Old 12-31-2008, 12:49 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

My dealer has put in two LSD at no cost to me.
I have 59,000 miles with many track days. PCCB have be great. I did change the front rotors @ 25,000 miles and the gen II remain like new.
It is a great car and of the dozen here in Seattle they all have been soild and reliable. Just like the old Porsche tradition. Run them hard and drive home.

Originally Posted by Pete
I know. I don't think any of us would want to see the aftermath of racing these babies door to door.

with regard to the LSD: They come from the factory with 11 lbs. of break away torque. Too low for a car like this. But okay, that's what it comes with. After about a year or so of tracking the car, your back end will become a little loose and mostly under heavy braking. You'll also find that your later on the throttle coming out of a turn than you used to be because you don't have the same level of grip coming off said turn.

So you bring it your shop. They test it and say, "Yup, your LSD is fried". So you bring it into the dealer under warranty and they say, "Well it's at 3-6 pounds of break away torque... without our specs". You find that it's futile to argue for a new diff, so you go aftermarket and get it done better than factory. Really I'm not bitter.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

LSD are overworked on the track and tend to go out on a well tracked car every couple years. I have had my trans rebuilt due to previous owner working the syncros. Was for me hard to find 1st and 3rd. Fortunately this stuff was replaced under warranty on many cars.

The fact is 6GT3 is claimed to be bullet proof but there are a few little things that do go out. Like any track car, things wear out. Nothing to be too worried about.

And I pay nowhere near 1,000 per track day, but maybe my track days are much shorter. Do not get me wrong, I pay plenty but I get 3 or 4 sessions a week.

Tires, pads, alignments, misc stuff are all so common.

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Tell me more on limited slip and trans. I'm also new.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

I have had my 6GT3 since Feb. Probably around 50 track days in there 3-4 20 min sessions per day. Can't imaging that being 50K maybe more like 15K.

I forget but at least 5-7 maybe 8 sets of tires.
2 sets of Pads
1 set of Front Rotors
1 LSD
1 chin spoiler
1 trans rebuild (this does not count as the issue was from previous owner slammin gears too fast)- even cracked carbon fiber. shifting should be a soft touch
1 windshield
typical fluid changes
maybe another set of tires
Old 12-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New 996GT3 owner

Wow, lots of great information for a new 996 GT3 owner like myself, I purchased a used 2004 GT3 from Manny in Calgary this fall and plan on using it for a dedicated track car. I've been using my 07 Boxster S but felt I would like to set up a car for track use and keep the Boxster S for touring on public roads, the Boxster is a great street car. I'm new to Autocross and DE events so lots to learn as I'm just a fair driver. I have the car in the shop right now getting some items installed, Euro GT3 seats, roll bar, 5-point safety harness, track alignment and track wheels with some R888 R-compounds to start with. I plan on using the PS2 tires on the stock wheels as rain tires for now, Future mods will be ECU upgrade and some exhaust mods and rear toe links from the suggestions in this thread.

Going to PIR (Portland) on Feb 28th & Mar 1st for my first DE day with the GT3, hopefully all goes well.

Last edited by Polarporsche; 12-31-2008 at 01:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Considering Buying a GT3 2004 for Track Use