Sponsored by:

Repaired tire and tech inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repaired tire and tech inspection

I dont suppose a flat PS2 that has been patched will pass tech for a DE will it?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, you'll get varying opinions on tracking a repaired tire. Most shops won't repair track tires, but with a street tire you get more latitude. I repaired a PS2 and ran it, no problem. But it was in the center of the tire. If it is in the outer 1/4 of the tread width (inside or outside), it should have been replaced.

All that aside, noone at the tech inspection will look that closely at your tires. You won't have any problem there.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:40 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

it will pass tech. Indeed, it could even pass tech with a plug.

You know you car better in some ways. I would not run a patched tire at the track. I have done it for autocross, but the loads at the track are too high, and the risk of that patch coming off at the wrong time is just too much for me.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
it will pass tech. Indeed, it could even pass tech with a plug.

You know you car better in some ways. I would not run a patched tire at the track. I have done it for autocross, but the loads at the track are too high, and the risk of that patch coming off at the wrong time is just too much for me.
Even if its my first DE?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
Even if its my first DE?
Then it is even more critical, as it is your first DE. Some of us are used to losing car control at the track, and know from experience how to react to that.

Personally, I have had two flat tires at the track. One of them was really scary, turn 4 at Watkins Glen doing 120 mph. I had a coolant leak on top of my driver's side rear tire at Lime Rock, I noticed the lack of grip on the downhill (driving 9/10th). Oil, gravel, water, things that will make your 911's back come in front of you.

It is very easy to reach or exceed 100 mph with a GT3 on your first DE. I tell my friends to run autocrosses, before going to the track, as they can learn car control skills at the limits and beyond the limits of grip.

A flat tire at an autocross most likely won't get you in trouble, but at the track it could put you at risk, and the drivers in front of you, and the drivers behind you.
Not worth the risk IMHO.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire Rack can get you a new tire in a couple days. It's cheap insurance.

[edit: if your tires are moderately worn, replace both on that end of the car]

Cheers,
Old 08-05-2008, 02:22 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

if you are going to start tracking it is not a good idea to get into the habit of making compromises or bad decisions...I picked up a piece of metal in a new PS2 and had to bite the bullet...it sucks but you need to keep in mind that your tires are the only contact you and your GT3 have with the track...not the place to cut corners (no pun intended), even for a DE event and especially if it is your first with this car...you will have a much better time knowing your car is well prepared...
Old 08-05-2008, 03:30 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the advice guys. A fellow extremely generous board member offered me a set of used MPSC at a ridiculous price. I dont really want to run R-Comps my first time out but i also dont want to spend another $800 on rear tires. R-Comps it is!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:52 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

you will be fine on MPSC's...

oops...thought they were new...nevermind...

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-05-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Colby, I would echo what others have said. I would NOT run a plugged tire at a DE. Two, I would NOT run r-comps for your first DE. How many heat cycles do the MPSC's have? They are toast after about 16 HC's and then it will feel like you are driving on hockey pucks coated in butter. Hate to say it, but there is NO MARKET for used MPSC's unless they weren't run or only run for 1 day.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

+1 on getting replacement tire. I had a puncture in brand new R6's and had to replace the lot. The issue for me is not so much "my tire" and "my car" but what if it fails and I collect someone else. At track events every driver is mutually dependant upon other drivers so all need to have predictable behavior and safe equipment.

Get the tire, forget about it and enjoy the event. If you like it replacing a tire will be the least of the $$$
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM
On Pole
Racer

Do not run R compound tires for your first DE please!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:28 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree with the above. I would NOT run used MPSCs for my first event. Of all of the tires I have ever used, and I've used a lot, MPSCs are the most treacherous. They can be very tricky, especially if they are over worn ( with heat cycles) or if they are cold. I think you should just get a new PS2 or 2 if they are significantly worn so you keep the tires approximately symmetric. . DEs and track driving are expensive, but much more so if you try to save money........
Old 08-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

A bigger mistake for your first DE than driving on a patched tire is using MPSC's (used or not).

I mostly agree with what other posted re patched...however, Michelin says that if the tire is patched properly it doesn't impact the speed rating. Also, I've seen the fastest guy at the track patch his tire during a track day (I think it was a Hoosier) and go back out on it with no problems (this guy is very experienced, even has written books about tracking).
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Colby --

I just started all of this madness last year and did my first five or so days on PS2s... I think this is a good idea.

They are pretty good tires but what I liked most was that they do limit you a bit... and for the first few track days, being limited is not bad.

There is so much to learn and focus on, having tires that limit your corner speed a bit, if probably a good thing...

You will spin at a lower speed with PS2s when compared to MPSC and if you are pushing it, a spin or two is likely...

I made the move to MPSC earlier this year and I am glad I waited... I had enough experience to really be able to tell the difference.

Get ready to learn and have a lot of fun

Quick Reply: Repaired tire and tech inspection