Sponsored by:

Repaired tire and tech inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
Colby, I would echo what others have said. I would NOT run a plugged tire at a DE. Two, I would NOT run r-comps for your first DE. How many heat cycles do the MPSC's have? They are toast after about 16 HC's and then it will feel like you are driving on hockey pucks coated in butter. Hate to say it, but there is NO MARKET for used MPSC's unless they weren't run or only run for 1 day.
Thanks Dell, they have around 3 days on them... I guess i'll just pony up and get a new set of PS2's. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If they have three days (probably 12 HC's) on them they are worthless, especially for somebody that has never driven on them.

FYI....I tracked my GT3 for a while on PS2's before I moved up to Nitto NT01's, then Hoosier R6, then Yokohama slicks (used). Each progression of tire was less and less forgiving with mistakes but also came with more grip. The great thing about taking the path I did is that I totally learned the car and the physics behind it and when I would move to the next tire I already was a step ahead of the car when it would get into trouble and be able to correct before it ever got into trouble (if that makes any sense ).
Old 08-05-2008, 02:26 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carn3erd, I'm going to side with those recommending PS2s. In fact, I'd say that, depending on how fast your car control skills progress (given that you're relatively new to tracking in general IIRC, as opposed to others who have had more experience prior to GT3 ownership), you may actually want to think about running PS2s for a year or more. It all depends on how fast your driving skills develop, it is not just a number of events per se. I would not go to R-comps until you are consistently reaching the limits (and able to bring it back in if you go over) of the PS2s at multiple tracks and events. While you might lap faster on R-comps at only ~80% of their potential, the real skill is to drive at 95-100% of the limit of the PS2s. Make sure to tell your DE instructors what your goals are, and get feedback on how you are progressing/whether they think you are ready for R-comps.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

1st trackday ever pony it up. Then u won't even have to think about that patched tire if its going to hold. I guarantee u your mind be swirling 1st time so whatever u can do do the car prior get it done ie tires/brakes/alignment etc. Then all u have to worry is yourself- now that's a huge obstacle but with nuf trackdays under your belt it gets easier. Regards mike
Old 08-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

If they have three days (probably 12 HC's) on them they are worthless, especially for somebody that has never driven on them.

FYI....I tracked my GT3 for a while on PS2's before I moved up to Nitto NT01's, then Hoosier R6, then Yokohama slicks (used). Each progression of tire was less and less forgiving with mistakes but also came with more grip. The great thing about taking the path I did is that I totally learned the car and the physics behind it and when I would move to the next tire I already was a step ahead of the car when it would get into trouble and be able to correct before it ever got into trouble (if that makes any sense ).
As always, makes great sense. PS2's it is. Thanks

Originally Posted by cchan
carn3erd, I'm going to side with those recommending PS2s. In fact, I'd say that, depending on how fast your car control skills progress (given that you're relatively new to tracking in general IIRC, as opposed to others who have had more experience prior to GT3 ownership), you may actually want to think about running PS2s for a year or more. It all depends on how fast your driving skills develop, it is not just a number of events per se. I would not go to R-comps until you are consistently reaching the limits (and able to bring it back in if you go over) of the PS2s at multiple tracks and events. While you might lap faster on R-comps at only ~80% of their potential, the real skill is to drive at 95-100% of the limit of the PS2s. Make sure to tell your DE instructors what your goals are, and get feedback on how you are progressing/whether they think you are ready for R-comps.
Thanks Canyon. Extremely sound advice. I'll be sure to let my instructor know.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
1st trackday ever pony it up. Then u won't even have to think about that patched tire if its going to hold. I guarantee u your mind be swirling 1st time so whatever u can do do the car prior get it done ie tires/brakes/alignment etc. Then all u have to worry is yourself- now that's a huge obstacle but with nuf trackdays under your belt it gets easier. Regards mike
Mike, thanks for bringing that up. It reminds me. How likely am i to boil the stock brake fluid? I had a flush about 500 miles ago, but with stock fluid.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

BTW: Anyone have any good sources for PS2's?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It's hard to beat the customer service of http://www.tirerack.com. There prices are within the ballpark as well.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
Mike, thanks for bringing that up. It reminds me. How likely am i to boil the stock brake fluid? I had a flush about 500 miles ago, but with stock fluid.
On street tires with street pads probably not likely but if you are going to start tracking your car you need to at least move to Motul if not SRF. I currently run SRF and it is the only brake fluid I have ever run in the GT3. It is hands down the best stuff out there. Motul is really good as well but you will have to do more frequent bleeds/flushes.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

On street tires with street pads probably not likely but if you are going to start tracking your car you need to at least move to Motul if not SRF. I currently run SRF and it is the only brake fluid I have ever run in the GT3. It is hands down the best stuff out there. Motul is really good as well but you will have to do more frequent bleeds/flushes.
Thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

So which club and track are you going with for your first day?

BTW I agree stay with street tires for a while. You'll learn the dance faster.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yargk
So which club and track are you going with for your first day?

BTW I agree stay with street tires for a while. You'll learn the dance faster.
TH with PCA GGR.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
TH with PCA GGR.
good choice.

i'll be setting up the car AGAIN. the LSD is taking me some time to get used ot. almost lost it going from 238 to 880 the big sweeper ;-)
Old 08-06-2008, 02:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

you only get 12HC in three days?
i run about 7x25 min session per day.
no wonder my tire budget is so big.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:59 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also run PS2s (2 rear sets) before going to MPSCs (used and POS but it came with a nice rims) and now R888s (bought brand new). Hoping to go Hoos next year. All of my PS2s are used for 500-1000 miles so I got little discounts for them. Got all of them from eBay and RL forsale threads.

Quick Reply: Repaired tire and tech inspection