Sponsored by:

WTB: GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008 | 10:49 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Per craigslist;
This posting has been deleted by its author.
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

Did you buy it?
No just spoke with him. Sold it this afternoon...
Old 04-28-2008 | 11:03 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

What was it? GT3, I assume, but how equipped? Price?
Old 04-28-2008 | 11:17 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
What was it? GT3, I assume, but how equipped? Price?
No e36 M3. Unless i can find an amazing deal on a 3 i'm going to try and work my way up the racing ranks...baby steps...baby step... Run an e36 for a couple years, then move to spec miatas, see how i do and go from there. Hopefully end up some where near racing Cup cars (I know, big dreams).
Old 04-28-2008 | 11:59 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

E36 M is a sick platform, but IMO if you start the learning curve with a rear engine platform (since that is where you want to work your way up to) you will be much better off, just my stupid 2 cents again though!
Old 04-29-2008 | 01:30 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by iLLM3
E36 M is a sick platform, but IMO if you start the learning curve with a rear engine platform (since that is where you want to work your way up to) you will be much better off, just my stupid 2 cents again though!
Not stupid at all. But here's how a long time PCA and BMW CCA instructor put it..."There are three areas of driver development; driving skills, technical knowledge, and race strategy.

Driving skills can be developed using any vehicle. If you are starting out, you will learn faster in a slower car. Find a good instructional program like PCA or BMW CCA and get used to track driving. If you need more seat time, check out the events of other groups like Hooked on Driving, etc. It takes a couple of years of experience to get the mechanics of driving internalized.

Technical knowledge means understanding how the cars work as a foundation for refining how the car handles. To do this, you need to drive many different types of cars. The line you use around the track and techniques are completely different for a miata, civic, M3, or 911.

Lastly, race strategy needs to be learned by doing. The Spec Miata series is one of the best places to start out. It is relatively inexpensive to participate and the cars are great for learning."

With this way of thinking im in the driving skills portion. The way i see it, no need to spend money on expensive tires, brakes, pads, rotors, etc learning on a Porsche. That money can be much better allocated to track time, coaching, etc... Racing/driving a Porsche will come when either one of two happen...(1) I realize i'm not good enough (most probable case) and become and instructor and race club or (my high hopes 2) i get into a Cup car. IMO i cant lose either way.
Old 04-29-2008 | 01:53 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by carn3rd
Not stupid at all. But here's how a long time PCA and BMW CCA instructor put it..."There are three areas of driver development; driving skills, technical knowledge, and race strategy.

Driving skills can be developed using any vehicle. If you are starting out, you will learn faster in a slower car. Find a good instructional program like PCA or BMW CCA and get used to track driving. If you need more seat time, check out the events of other groups like Hooked on Driving, etc. It takes a couple of years of experience to get the mechanics of driving internalized.

Technical knowledge means understanding how the cars work as a foundation for refining how the car handles. To do this, you need to drive many different types of cars. The line you use around the track and techniques are completely different for a miata, civic, M3, or 911.

Lastly, race strategy needs to be learned by doing. The Spec Miata series is one of the best places to start out. It is relatively inexpensive to participate and the cars are great for learning."

With this way of thinking im in the driving skills portion. The way i see it, no need to spend money on expensive tires, brakes, pads, rotors, etc learning on a Porsche. That money can be much better allocated to track time, coaching, etc... Racing/driving a Porsche will come when either one of two happen...(1) I realize i'm not good enough (most probable case) and become and instructor and race club or (my high hopes 2) i get into a Cup car. IMO i cant lose either way.
I see and totally agree, I mean me myself didn't start out with a 911 or rear engine car either. I had an E36 then E46, then moved onto the Porsche scene.

I didn't even mean get the GT3 and start, but even an older NA 993, 964 or something along those line which aren't that fast but still awesome drivers, not expensive to maintain either
Old 04-29-2008 | 12:30 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

The way i see it, no need to spend money on expensive tires, brakes, pads, rotors, etc learning on a Porsche. That money can be much better allocated to track time, coaching, etc...
+1. I ran this past Sat at MMP in a DE with a 996 Cup and several spec Miatas. I was amazed at the grip the Miata's had on slicks. We ran one of the technical short courses which negated my GT3's hp advantage. After the event, I was comparing notes with one of the Miata drivers and was amazed at how low his costs were (like 5-6x lower than my own for DE - and he races!)

With that said, there is nothing sweeter than zipping around a track in your dream car. I am very interested in Spec Miata, and may purchase one to get into racing. I am also looking at arrive & drive programs like Skip Barber and will look into that this winter. Like you, this track thing is now in my blood! (but is it treatable?)

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do...

-Blake
Old 04-29-2008 | 02:21 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
you need to get a car so he can do his magic on it.
"Magic" is right man... Let's just say we had a pro-driver out at Sears have some fun with it. Tony put some extra caster in there to make sure it didn't drift I never knew the car had grip like that lol...
Old 04-29-2008 | 05:22 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
+1. I ran this past Sat at MMP in a DE with a 996 Cup and several spec Miatas. I was amazed at the grip the Miata's had on slicks. We ran one of the technical short courses which negated my GT3's hp advantage. After the event, I was comparing notes with one of the Miata drivers and was amazed at how low his costs were (like 5-6x lower than my own for DE - and he races!)
Definitely. CJ was telling me that its something like $50 buck to replace rotors. LOL.

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
With that said, there is nothing sweeter than zipping around a track in your dream car. I am very interested in Spec Miata, and may purchase one to get into racing. I am also looking at arrive & drive programs like Skip Barber and will look into that this winter. Like you, this track thing is now in my blood! (but is it treatable?)

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do...

-Blake
Couldnt agree more. Some day i'll jumped into a 3... someday...

Treatable...? I dont think so... Just look at Mooty. It only gets worse
Old 04-29-2008 | 05:24 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sharkster
"Magic" is right man... Let's just say we had a pro-driver out at Sears have some fun with it. Tony put some extra caster in there to make sure it didn't drift I never knew the car had grip like that lol...
Ya definitely can't wait to start working with him. Now all i need is a car. LOL!
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:49 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Alright so i just got word that we might have an opportunity to sell a property which opens a nice door. Any leads would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Edit: Mooty if you read this, send me a pm. If you've got time i'd like to buy you another cup of coffee and chat more about club racing and becoming an instructor. I've decided that for the money needed to even try racing professionally, its not worth it at this point. Well more like financially unviable.
Old 06-28-2008 | 02:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Alright so i just got word that we might have an opportunity to sell a property which opens a nice door. Any leads would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Edit: Mooty if you read this, send me a pm. If you've got time i'd like to buy you another cup of coffee and chat more about club racing and becoming an instructor. I've decided that for the money needed to even try racing professionally, its not worth it at this point. Well more like financially unviable.
i may have a nice silver GT3 for you. not cheap. 75k or so, very low milage.

i am out this whole week.
i'll pm you when i am back.
Old 06-28-2008 | 02:48 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
i may have a nice silver GT3 for you. not cheap. 75k or so, very low milage.

i am out this whole week.
i'll pm you when i am back.
Sounds good. Does it have any mods...? I found a couple nice ones here in the classifieds. Take a look when you get a chance (there are only two-one white one seal or slate) and let me know what you think. Have a good week. Talk to ya soon!
Old 06-29-2008 | 02:24 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Alright guys i'm now looking for a higher mileage car with low track time. TIA!
Old 06-29-2008 | 01:48 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

This look pretty neat and clean. And, silver too. Miles are average.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a rare color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: WTB: GT3