WTB: GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
LOL. So how much are private coaches? Could i just get a two seater and have Brian Lee help me start?
yes, have brian coach you.

it would be pointless to hire pro's right now. PCA has good instructors as do BMWCCA. for noobs, there two are the BEST organization to run with in nor cal, no exceptions.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:55 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont want to scare myself too much.
why do you think i am not racing!!!
got to save for my retirement
you are going to retire from racing????!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, have brian coach you.

it would be pointless to hire pro's right now. PCA has good instructors as do BMWCCA. for noobs, there two are the BEST organization to run with in nor cal, no exceptions.
So what's the best way to go about this? Just throw another seat in a spec car?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:28 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

So what's the best way to go about this? Just throw another seat in a spec car?
i dont think you are going at this the right way.
it doesn't matter what you drive.
the fastest way to learn is....

1. sign up with bmwcca trackday
2. request brian as your instructor (he instructs for cca, and your request will moswt likley be honored as there aren't too many 911 drivers in CCA)
3. drive drive and drive.
4. after 5 events (10days) with CCA, go attend ground school with PCA GGR.
5 sign up with GGR track day and they will assign you instructors.
6. GGR drivers are much much faster then CCA on average, so that's why i say go with CCA first. they control your speed force you to learn the line.

get some new tires, as you said yours is all used up. dont bother with the type of tires. just get some rubber on the damn car and drive. it is my opinion that in the first 25 track days, it doesn't matter what tires you are on. you are learning.

no need to goto skip barber, jim russle all that fancy stuff. do the thing i said in the order i prescribed, and in 2 years, you will have a much clearer idea of what to get. now i just sound like an a**.

there is no need to get spec car. you wont be racing for a few years. short of 50 track days, you will simply be a back marker in spec racing. it's pointless.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

i dont think you are going at this the right way.
it doesn't matter what you drive.
the fastest way to learn is....

1. sign up with bmwcca trackday
2. request brian as your instructor (he instructs for cca, and your request will moswt likley be honored as there aren't too many 911 drivers in CCA)
3. drive drive and drive.
4. after 5 events (10days) with CCA, go attend ground school with PCA GGR.
5 sign up with GGR track day and they will assign you instructors.
6. GGR drivers are much much faster then CCA on average, so that's why i say go with CCA first. they control your speed force you to learn the line.

get some new tires, as you said yours is all used up. dont bother with the type of tires. just get some rubber on the damn car and drive. it is my opinion that in the first 25 track days, it doesn't matter what tires you are on. you are learning.

no need to goto skip barber, jim russle all that fancy stuff. do the thing i said in the order i prescribed, and in 2 years, you will have a much clearer idea of what to get.now i just sound like an a**.

there is no need to get spec car. you wont be racing for a few years. short of 50 track days, you will simply be a back marker in spec racing. it's pointless.
Not an a** by any means John. I deeply value your input both as an instructor and buying guide. The only time i get irritated is when people who havent earned that type of respect in either of the two aforementioned areas try and tell me what to do. But like i said i greatly respect your advice and the way you give it (blunt!). Racing is cut throat and the last thing i need it some one giving me false hope. IMO there's no better way to start than by asking someone who's experienced to give it to you straight up!

Thanks for all your help doc. I'll take two and call you in the morning.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

O and the Turbo is sold pending a PPI and funds of course. Its selling for 62. I'm thinking maybe i'll just talk with Brian about getting an older E36 and learning on that. Thanks for all your help John!

Unless i find an incredible deal on a GT3 that is!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

O and the Turbo is sold pending a PPI and funds of course. Its selling for 62. I'm thinking maybe i'll just talk with Brian about getting an older E36 and learning on that. Thanks for all your help John!

Colby congrats man, glad you found a buyer. And I hope I wasn't in your head when you mentioned about the people you dislike giving you advice :/ Yes I don't have the experience as some of these guy's, but I have been through enough to give a valued point especially with my GT2! I hope you follow your dreams and do well, the only thing I tried to mention is start somewhere and fast, only way to gain experience is through experience

Best of luck (BTW I WANT MY BBS'S BACK DAMMIT)
Old 04-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Colby congrats man, glad you found a buyer. And I hope I wasn't in your head when you mentioned about the people you dislike giving you advice :/ Yes I don't have the experience as some of these guy's, but I have been through enough to give a valued point especially with my GT2! I hope you follow your dreams and do well, the only thing I tried to mention is start somewhere and fast, only way to gain experience is through experience

Best of luck (BTW I WANT MY BBS'S BACK DAMMIT)
Lol. Not all Martin. RL wasnt the only place i asked for opinions. Good luck this year in club!

Sorry about the BBS's. I think, while the buyer doenst really like the black on black, wants to buy them with the car and possibly get them back to a motorsport look. Take it easy man.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

e36m3 is a good starting point. dont get one too cheap.
have tony c reinforce the rear subframe b/c it WILL fail.
change everything, tubing, hoses, connections, coolant box, pump... anything related to cooling system MUST be replaced once car is over 60k, they WILL EXPLODE and leak.

do not DINAN your car. there is a reason why you dont see DINAN on track much. in fact, most of the bmw tuners out there are not so great, and i am talking about THE BIG NAME tuners. what they race is NOT what you can buy and put on your car. i wasted a LOT of money on bimmers.

you need safety items, seats and suspension and sub frame reinforcement
run same size tires all around or it will push too much, you cannot dial it out any other way, yes i ran a LOT of camber. almost 4deg. kosei makes some very very cheap and strong wheels for the car. i think 200 a pop. stock size wheels are crap, dump them.

you need a tighter rear end, i can't remember the ratio, but other bimmerphile will know.

i am forgetting somethings, but here is enough to start.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:03 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

e36m3 is a good starting point. dont get one too cheap.
have tony c reinforce the rear subframe b/c it WILL fail.
change everything, tubing, hoses, connections, coolant box, pump... anything related to cooling system MUST be replaced once car is over 60k, they WILL EXPLODE and leak.

do not DINAN your car. there is a reason why you dont see DINAN on track much. in fact, most of the bmw tuners out there are not so great, and i am talking about THE BIG NAME tuners. what they race is NOT what you can buy and put on your car. i wasted a LOT of money on bimmers.

you need safety items, seats and suspension and sub frame reinforcement
run same size tires all around or it will push too much, you cannot dial it out any other way, yes i ran a LOT of camber. almost 4deg. kosei makes some very very cheap and strong wheels for the car. i think 200 a pop. stock size wheels are crap, dump them.

you need a tighter rear end, i can't remember the ratio, but other bimmerphile will know.

i am forgetting somethings, but here is enough to start.
Maybe i should just go talk with Tony C huh? I'll send Brian an email tonight as well. Thanks John

Last edited by Carnerd; 04-28-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:51 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe i should just go talk with Tony C huh? I'll send Brian an email tonight as well. Thanks John
i told you everything he will tell you.
you need to get a car so he can do his magic on it.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

i told you everything he will tell you.
you need to get a car so he can do his magic on it.
Sounds good. Let me know if you find any leads. So buy a stock car and work my way up then? Brian is selling his but his has a Dinan blower and a couple other Dinan parts as well.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

ask why brian is selling the M3 but not his C4s, LOL.
is he getting E90M3/E92M3?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

ask why brian is selling the M3 but not his C4s, LOL.
is he getting E90M3/E92M3?
He's getting a Mini.

Hey what do you think of this car?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/655759696.html
Old 04-28-2008, 09:35 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Per craigslist;
This posting has been deleted by its author.
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

Did you buy it?

Quick Reply: WTB: GT3