Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chassis Comparision (GT2 and GT3)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chassis Comparision (GT2 and GT3)

Hey guys, does anyone know how the two compare? Stability, rigidity, feel, etc...? They arent the same chassis right?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The 996 GT2 is a good daily driver, not very good at the track, soft and unstable..GT3 is better track car, a little bumpy on the road.
My friend sold his 6GT2 for a 997 GT3.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

same chassis with min. difference.
rigidity is same.
both cars are twitchy if you dont drive it well, otherwise both are stable (not as stable as the ride i gave you that day).

on track, it's hard to control to sudden power rush of GT2. but once controlled, it's a great car as well. but i am NA biased.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
same chassis with min. difference.
rigidity is same.
both cars are twitchy if you dont drive it well, otherwise both are stable (not as stable as the ride i gave you that day).

on track, it's hard to control to sudden power rush of GT2. but once controlled, it's a great car as well. but i am NA biased.
Thanks, i was hoping you'd input here John. You're definitely right, but i'm sure much of the stability of that test ride was can be attributed to your very experienced driving. A couple things though... When you're on track competing with force induced cars, how well can you hang? And when you're on track you should always be within the turbo's powerband no, so there shouldnt be a sudden thrust of power as spool time will should only be a couple hundred rmps. BTW, i'm sure you've noticed by now that i've added a 6 GT2 to the equation.

Thanks again for that knuckle whiting test ride! I havent experienced exhilaration like that for a longggg time.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Z06
The 996 GT2 is a good daily driver, not very good at the track, soft and unstable..GT3 is better track car, a little bumpy on the road.
But like most if not all Porsches, they need to be properly aligned and cb'ed. From my experience, this changes things quite a bit. Also, the stock 7 GT3 suspension is amazing. If i were to jump into a 6 GT2 there'd be a good amount of change done to the suspension.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

2s have more weight behind the rear axle and you get a sudden surge of torque powering out of corners. That makes it hard to judge and get great exits. Can make up for a lot of that on the straights though
Old 03-14-2008, 12:27 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by carn3rd
Thanks, i was hoping you'd input here John. You're definitely right, but i'm sure much of the stability of that test ride was can be attributed to your very experienced driving. A couple things though... When you're on track competing with force induced cars, how well can you hang? And when you're on track you should always be within the turbo's powerband no, so there shouldnt be a sudden thrust of power as spool time will should only be a couple hundred rmps. BTW, i'm sure you've noticed by now that i've added a 6 GT2 to the equation.

Thanks again for that knuckle whiting test ride! I havent experienced exhilaration like that for a longggg time.
take the driver out of the pix, GT2 is the faster car. hp is hp, no way around it.

both GT2 and GT3 have "lags". although greatly improved from 930's, GT2 still has a very tiny turbo lag, while GT3 has little pwr below 5-6k rpm, thus also a lag. but the lag itself is not the issue. it's the rate at which TQ and HP arrives. plot TQ or HP as a function of time, the slope for GT2 is much steeper.

with that in mind, in a slow turn you can get on the throttle of GT3 and with the shallower slope of delta TQ/delta t, the car will drift toward corner exit. now if you apply less throttle in GT2, you will be slower. if you applied more throttle in GT2 compared to 3, you will drift into the weeds. of course there's a sweet spot where you will be perfect and thus faster than GT3. however due to the "steeper slope" i talked about earlier, the margin for error is smaller in GT2 and once you drive one you will understand what i mean. most GT2 drivers know that thus they tend to ***** foot the car around turns (compared to GT3), thus any speed advantage GT2 had theoretically is taken away, esepcially knowing that you can get back on throttle in the straights, why take chances in the turns. if you follow this line of logic, then you'll find GT3 is more "experiential" while GT2 is theoretically faster.

but there are very very few ppl who can extract GT2's performance, other than smash the throttle on the straights.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:24 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

take the driver out of the pix, GT2 is the faster car. hp is hp, no way around it.

both GT2 and GT3 have "lags". although greatly improved from 930's, GT2 still has a very tiny turbo lag, while GT3 has little pwr below 5-6k rpm, thus also a lag. but the lag itself is not the issue. it's the rate at which TQ and HP arrives. plot TQ or HP as a function of time, the slope for GT2 is much steeper.

with that in mind, in a slow turn you can get on the throttle of GT3 and with the shallower slope of delta TQ/delta t, the car will drift toward corner exit. now if you apply less throttle in GT2, you will be slower. if you applied more throttle in GT2 compared to 3, you will drift into the weeds. of course there's a sweet spot where you will be perfect and thus faster than GT3. however due to the "steeper slope" i talked about earlier, the margin for error is smaller in GT2 and once you drive one you will understand what i mean. most GT2 drivers know that thus they tend to ***** foot the car around turns (compared to GT3), thus any speed advantage GT2 had theoretically is taken away, esepcially knowing that you can get back on throttle in the straights, why take chances in the turns. if you follow this line of logic, then you'll find GT3 is more "experiential" while GT2 is theoretically faster.

but there are very very few ppl who can extract GT2's performance, other than smash the throttle on the straights.
John you save me so much trouble. Love the theory and logic to back it. For an amateur driver like myself (albeit, by the time i see the track i'll have a pretty decent amount of Barber schooling under my belt) it still seems a GT3 (6 or 7) still seems like it will be the most rewarding car. Thanks again John.

BTW i talked with Gary today. I will be looking at the car this weekend if it's not sold.

Last edited by Carnerd; 03-14-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:15 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

yeah, i hope you end up with the car. it looked very nice.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:05 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

To date, the 996 GT3 remains as one of the most "rewarding" cars I've driven on track, yet I think the GT2 would be more rewarding still -if you can extract it's performance. Turbocharged engines give you more variables to play with, in the GT2's case those being throttle application, and engine rpm. Get those right, and you can have more fun. To most though, the GT3 is already too much car, especially starting out. My orientation was rather frustrating, used to being fast in slow cars...
Ahmet
Old 03-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

yeah, i hope you end up with the car. it looked very nice.
I dunno, i was kind of set on white. Didnt like it so much at first but its really grown on me. Still waiting to hear back from my auction guy.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:35 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06
You do not know what you are talking about!!!

I'm at the track (VIR) with my RUF GT2, 930 Man with his and we are both tearing it up within our run groups (Matt pulled a 2:01 which is UNREAL).. These car's are HIGHLY capable, and confidence inspiring when properly setup, i'm sick and tired of people with NO EXPERIENCE OR SKILL, giving and voicing their opinions which are non factual!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mooty always nice to here someone know what they are taking about..

I still yet havent find a gt3 that can stay with me on the track

Gt 2 and gt3 are almost identical chassie way, harder spring in the rear is one thing for ex
Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
Mooty always nice to here someone know what they are taking about..

I still yet havent find a gt3 that can stay with me on the track

Gt 2 and gt3 are almost identical chassie way, harder spring in the rear is one thing for ex
my engineer for my car set me up with softer rear heavier front spring allowe more grip to the rear wheels to apply power... i have been a NA guy for a long time, i wanted to try the gt2 to prove to myself that a gt2 could be driven fast on the track...

i have alot of work to do... i will admit that ... but a hot shoe in the car would be in the top of the run group...

John as for " ***** footing" lmao id rather say good throttle control or you going backwards very quickly! it is predictable ,, but just be ready for it!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmet
To date, the 996 GT3 remains as one of the most "rewarding" cars I've driven on track, yet I think the GT2 would be more rewarding still -if you can extract it's performance. Turbocharged engines give you more variables to play with, in the GT2's case those being throttle application, and engine rpm. Get those right, and you can have more fun. To most though, the GT3 is already too much car, especially starting out. My orientation was rather frustrating, used to being fast in slow cars...
Ahmet
Ahmet....

they can all be driven quickly.. i think the gt3 would be a better car for someone starting out with some track exp. under their belt ... neith car is a good choice for the novice... or for the faint of heart...

Quick Reply: Chassis Comparision (GT2 and GT3)