Sponsored by:

Track Camber Settings with slicks

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 03:32 AM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Camber Settings with slicks

I am running with the Kussumauks settings, and -2.8F and 2.2 Rear camber with Toyos R888's.

I will wear, for the first time, Michelin slicks on my next track days.

Should I go for a more "aggressive " camber setting ?

PS.- I thought about tracking for some laps , and change the settings - if needed- after taking some - visual - conclusions of the tyres ( I have no termometer ..)

PPS.- My GT3 has no suspension mods and I solely use it for track days.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

If your GT3 is stock in the suspension department, why do you feel the need to wear slicks?? If R-compounds no longer work for you cause you are constently over driving the tire, I suggest you start to play with suspension.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

running slicks on a stock suspension is a recipe for disaster. Further, visual camber adjustments are not going to give you an accurate idea of what you need to adjust. You need to invest $100 in a PROBE pyrometer.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:17 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Why not keep the r888 and make the camber settings more aggressive instead of going for full slicks? Mike
Old 09-11-2007, 03:00 AM
boqueron
Pro

Thanks for the advise... The question is not " ..should I use slicks...? "

This has been already answered by my eleven track mates with their GT3's and four 997's with Slicks and others with slicks... ( and normal suspension).

If you want my advise on why you should use slicks, please do not hesitate to ask...
Old 09-11-2007, 04:20 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Hi
Fernando says "I do think you should arrange to have a way of testing tyre temperatures, and none of that McLaren rubbish"

R+C
Old 09-11-2007, 05:29 AM
boqueron
Pro

Thanks ! OK, I will get a pyrometer.... (And try to learn how to use it properly....)
Old 09-11-2007, 06:28 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

and some of that wonderful jamon from Extremadura
Old 09-11-2007, 07:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by boqueron
Thanks ! OK, I will get a pyrometer.... (And try to learn how to use it properly....)
Good job! Don't forget also some improved suspension bits to match all the stress those tires will place on your stock parts.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks for the advise... ...

If you want my advise on why you should use slicks, please do not hesitate to ask...
I'm asking, especially since I just bought a set of Hoosier slicks off a Cup car. In the past two seasons I have run Hoosier R3s and R4s, also.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:38 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

This has been already answered by my eleven track mates with their GT3's and four 997's with Slicks and others with slicks... ( and normal suspension).

So what do they do differently to run slicks?
And why don't they tell you their alignment settings for slicks?

It was the experience of many people here in North America that a stock GT3 is not ready for slicks. Too soft. The lateral g-forces roll the car too much. But you have to drive the car hard to get that. (Isn't that the whole point of going to racing tires?)

Get Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires and run circles around your "slick" track mates with stock cars.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Should I go for a more "aggressive " camber setting ?
Take first laps or event as a data collection moment. Avoid bumps & curbs at high lat. G's. Avoid qualification setups if someone suggests it (since you're on stock suspension and probably want a bit more out of the tires also) and make sure you get proper heat into the slicks. Then the pyrometer will do the gossip for you.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:21 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boq,
I think Herr Rohrl set his times on the 'Ring on road or regular track tyres. Unless you are within a second or two of Herr Rohrl's times at the 'Ring, I would suggest sticking with the likes of R888s/MPSCs until your driving improves to be able to take full advantage of slicks. Otherwise you will be faced with all the downside of slicks, still not be any better as a driver, and possibly still be usurped at a trackday by a good driver on regular track tyres...

I see no upside to slicks unless racing competitively. In which case there are a whole slew of other things to improve/change first.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advise... The question is not " ..should I use slicks...? "

Great attitude!!

Maybe you've got eleven friends to tell you to do it but the rest of the world is telling you it wont work. I know one guy in our region who's running slicks on a "street" GT3 but is suspension is no where near stock and if I remember correctly, is spring rates front and rear are close to 4 digit numbers. You can also look for Grussell's threads, he's running slicks too but is suspension is 100% cup car.

It won't work and you'll end up in a bad situation cause slicks don't forgive. I wont even wish you luck cause luck wont even make it work.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
boqueron
Pro

Well....

Dear friends:

1st.- Thanks but the slicks are allready at my garage. They will be fitted in my car next Friday,

2nd.- I have nothing against R-Compounds and the theory of learning to later reach the next level. I always wonder why don't I sell my GT3 and buy a -much cheaper - 968 or 944...

3rd.- I hate being slower than the car in front of me, specially when the only difference are tires. ( I have to admit that I hate having ANY car in front of me..)

Nordschleife,

I will be at the Jarama ( Madrid ) on the 17th and at Monteblanco ( a new track next to Sevilla ) on the 22nd. In any case I will buy some Jamon Serrano... E-mail me your address by PM and it will be a pleasure to send you some slices.... BTW, it will be even better to invite you, personally, here in Spain...or at the Ring this winter ( I have promised myself a weekend there..).

Zoom Zoom,

Nice to read from you !! Your advise has allways been very valuable.. Specially on R888's ( great tires).

You asked: my times are 1,5" slower at the Jarama ( Madrid) on a 1'52" laps than a proffesional racer ( Racing in GT's ) racing - very succesfully - at the European GT... With exactly the same car ( my car ) and exactly the same tyres ( my R888's). BTW, when you say..."...you will be faced with all the downside of slicks, still not be any better as a driver, and possibly still be usurped at a trackday by a good driver on regular track tyres..." what has happened up to now is that it was me who - in more than some occasions - was keeping the pace and overtaking 996GT3's and 997GT3's ...with slicks.. together with suspension an engine mods.. Herr Rohrl will be beaten - by me -in the very near future ......with slicks..

I will admit something: the main reason to shift to slicks is that it's hard to see some GT3's in front of me ...with slicks. I keep telling myself that, with slicks I would destroy them.... Let's see..! I also want to experiment their wear and feeling.

Ltcjmramos,

Aditionally to the reasons commented before, my friends that use Slicks keep telling me that I will be much safer with slicks !!. They keep saying that the feeling is somehow different and that the behaviour is much more homogeneous lap after lap.

Quick Reply: Track Camber Settings with slicks