Sponsored by:

Track Camber Settings with slicks

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey

I've heard about Monteblanco, sounds like a great track for the winter, when F1 has block booked Jerez.

Later this winter I'll look forward to having an excuse to visit Spain, we will have to think of a good place to meet.

You have a PM ;-)

R+C
Old 09-11-2007, 05:41 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boqueron
Aditionally to the reasons commented before, my friends that use Slicks keep telling me that I will be much safer with slicks !!. They keep saying that the feeling is somehow different and that the behaviour is much more homogeneous lap after lap.
Very interesting friends you got there.

So far I have only heard how slicks let go very suddenly. How they grip very well only within the correct envelope of temperature+slip angle and that grip falls off very sharply and without warning. I read that in a book about racing. I guess the author was full of crap.

Also the warmup procedure for pure racing tire is a bit more involved. You'll never again complain about MPSC cold grip after trying cold slicks.

Hey, if you want to try slicks go ahead. You have been warned.

Was the "pro" driving your car when he went 1.5 seconds faster?
Would you expect him to go as fast as he could in another person's car outside of a race?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boq - you need to go racing!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

I guess he's ready for slicks now-he's done r-comps. Sounds like the debate running street vs r-compound. If he ain't racing which sounds like he doesn't- he still is within the safety bubble of slicks. Just don't push it too much on the beginning(that's where wrecks happen 1st time). Mike
Old 09-12-2007, 03:05 AM
boqueron
Pro

Zoom Zoom,

As a mater of fact I was competing in Rallyes .....35 years ago!

Nowadays I have been "invited" to race in different occasions , that is, sharing the cost of a racing car with friends who race...

I am considering, again the possibility but, in Spain ( I imagine that all over ) , the minimum cost of a season will exceed 60.000 US $ all together..and you race in different tracks all over the country. Each race needs a minimum of two days , on a weekend...

Amaist,

Thank you for the advise and the warning (?). All what you say makes sense, you are describing the Slick behaviour... This is , exactly what makes it effective..and attractive.

BTW.- You should meet some of my friends on a racing track. As you say, they are very interesting..
Old 09-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Harry,

I do not know anyone who had great success using a pure race slick on a GT3 with unmodified suspension. The conventional wisdom is that the GT3 is too soft to work the race tire properly. That's why so many use tires like the Hoosier R6, BFG R1 or Kuhmo 710. I'll be interested to hear how your car behaves. As to suspension settings, the tire manufacturer usually has suggestions as to camber, pressures etc. You might send a pm to "Bull" here on Rennlist, he is very wise in such things. As a general rule, race slicks want more negative camber than the DOT R compounds. With a soft (compared to a race car) suspension, I'd suspect that this would be more true than ever. Let us know how it works out.

Best,
Old 09-12-2007, 11:08 AM
boqueron
Pro

Bob,

Thanks, I will let you know.... I wonder if - at the end - this is going to be, again, an expensive moove. It sounds as if it could end in a new suspension..
Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

TTX 46 Mcpherson
Double Digressive
revised geometry.......

go hunt tram lines

R+C
Old 09-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well since you have them you might as well go ahead and try them. Couple of notes though:
- I hope they are not Michelin S8A ( 27-65-18) rears. I have broken the steel belt on three different tires. They keep sending me new ones but I have given up.
- You will have to push the car harder in slower corners in order to get it to rotate, which will take a while to build up to - probably your first set.
- It will open your eyes to how really soft your suspension is right now. Changing just shocks and springs won't remove all the slop..
Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike, I was refrring to you in one of my earlier posts. What's your front and rear spring rates??
Old 09-12-2007, 04:17 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Harry,

I do not know anyone who had great success using a pure race slick on a GT3 with unmodified suspension. The conventional wisdom is that the GT3 is too soft to work the race tire properly. That's why so many use tires like the Hoosier R6, BFG R1 or Kuhmo 710. I'll be interested to hear how your car behaves. As to suspension settings, the tire manufacturer usually has suggestions as to camber, pressures etc. You might send a pm to "Bull" here on Rennlist, he is very wise in such things. As a general rule, race slicks want more negative camber than the DOT R compounds. With a soft (compared to a race car) suspension, I'd suspect that this would be more true than ever. Let us know how it works out.

Best,

i agree with what you said about running slicks with stock suspension. but fwiw i met two guys a the glen one with a gt3 and one with an rs both were running dunlop slicks with stock suspension. this was based on the recommendation of their coach david murry. they had no "short term" problems.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 PM
boqueron
Pro

Nordschleife, Mike K., doc2s:

Thanks! That's what I call "being positive"...

BTW, a short "ego trip". Let me share with you a secret: I track, with a coach, nearly on monthly basis , who belongs to a racing school that has won 13 spanish championships in different racing categories in the last 20 years.. They presently take care of the maintenance of two cars that aer racig - quite succesfully - the spanish GT championship ( One is a Porsche and the other a Ferrari..!) My co-pilot is the "chief-coach" of the school. He suggested me to use the slicks and...he is completly aware of the suspension I am using...
Old 09-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
Hey Mike, I was refrring to you in one of my earlier posts. What's your front and rear spring rates??
I started at 1000lb F & 1200R - the back was too soft and I didn't have anything stiffer on hand so I put 700# in the front. Car is still too soft all around but I was busy with other things and decided it was good enough for now. When I get around to it I will try 1400 - 1500 R and 900 - 1000 F . That would be closer to ideal, for my taste anyway.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

There is at least one driver in our club on Yokohama slicks, and I think his GT3's suspension is bone stock. So far, so good, and he is very quick.

I've done 1½ years on street tires and 1½ years on RA1s/NT01s, but last event I drove a friend's 996 C2 with MPSCs and fell in love. Those are my next tires. The turn in was so much sharper and stable. I'm trying to put off Hoosiers for another year or more.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
I started at 1000lb F & 1200R - the back was too soft and I didn't have anything stiffer on hand so I put 700# in the front. Car is still too soft all around but I was busy with other things and decided it was good enough for now. When I get around to it I will try 1400 - 1500 R and 900 - 1000 F . That would be closer to ideal, for my taste anyway.
Holy crap! You hit a bump on the track and you're liable to knock your kidneys out your back

Quick Reply: Track Camber Settings with slicks