Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Suggestion on datalogger?
AiM
18.75%
G2X
39.58%
DL1 + optional output screen
14.58%
AX22
4.17%
Driftbox/PerformanceBox
18.75%
DL90
0%
Pi
2.08%
G-Tech
2.08%
MaxQData
4.17%
Digidash
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Dataloggers for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Camber
I was planning to replace my DL1 with the AIM MXL series, thinking that the CAN interface would be great. I was told by CDOC, after they researched my question with AIM, that the CAN interface works with the Cup Car, but not the street GT3. In other words, no direct CAN feeds into the AIM device from our ECUs.

I find the DL1 is pretty functional. I was able to tap into the wiring harness for RPM (which I find very helpful, not only for obvious reasons, but also because it can then determine gear by correlating speed with RPM).
AIM MXL system works with the stock GT3, it hooks up with the CANbus.
I am just about finished working out the details on installation and support.

I will report back with some more info soon.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:34 AM
brucegre
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rassel
Lucas,
From the usage of the system, the ideal would be to have a mobile MoTec unit. Though we know it's not possible, I'm trying to find what can be done for a descent amount of money with a mobile datalogger.

The no.1 use is to get lap times and break them down per section. This would be the main framework to work around. Sections should be flexible, meaning I should be able to decide myself where section should be. The system should be able to "draw" its own map of the track and I should be able to set the sections from there. Also being able to get the lap times right after the lap, not an hour later in the pits with a notebook. Again ideal would be somewhat like the MoTec i2 Pro software.

After that, whatever sensors can be hooked up in a GT3 (without going deep into wiring or putting new ones) and speed and G-force information from accelerometers and GPS.

I'd like to have as much data possible connected this, throttle, brake, shift, steering and so on. But the GT3 being a street car and lacking several measurement possibilities, I'll have to cope with whatever can be extracted.

Ciao
I have a DL-1, haven't tried any of the others, but I use the DL-1, and that means it works and the software is easy to use and funtional (I buy and abandon more hard to use or non-funtional junk than I care to admit).

With the DL-1 you can do everything you are talking about. You can identify a start/finish marker and have the software add the sector markers automatically, or you can add them manually. You can look at mutliple runs at the same time, meaning you can look at your data side by side with someone elses to see where you are giving up time. You can get instantaneous values anywhere in the run with a simple click on the graph.

The system is pretty expandable, so as you move along you can add sensors for throttle, brake etc. The system can't grow into a Motec or Stack but it's great for what you are trying to do. I don't believe you can use anything from the CAN bus, but I could be mistaken - I haven't looked into it.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the input Bruce

It's starting to divide into to camps. Either a DL1 with a screen or a PerformanceBox or the VBOX Mini. The PB isn't as technical as the DL1 it seems but I'm getting good first hand reviews and the price of 499$ and a nice spec sheet makes it look like the bang-for-the-buck is hard to beat.

Any Rennlist Sponsors sell them?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rassel,

If you are considering the Perf Box at $499 then you need to take a hard look at the MaxQData GPS only unit at $299 that works with any PocketPC (windows mobile based) as a display and data capture unit. It seems to do a tone more for the track enthusiast than the Perf Box. Also MaxQData is supported by TrackVision if you later want to do video and data overlay to make pretty videos.

For me it is either I start pluggin and tapping sensors into the car (mine is not a race car) or I use a completely wireless device/no impact that captures the minimal data useful to analyze what I am doing around any circuit...lap times, segment times, entry/midcorner and exit speeds, braking zones, acceleration zones, etc. All nicely overlayed on a GPS based course map.

my 2 cents.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

BTW: not advocating the MaxQData over the Tracmate or DL1, etc. just over the Perf Box. Unless I am missing something then I am very open to hearing about the Perf Box's benefits.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul 996
BTW: not advocating the MaxQData over the Tracmate or DL1, etc. just over the Perf Box. Unless I am missing something then I am very open to hearing about the Perf Box's benefits.

Paul, thanx for the tip!
I've looked into the MaxQData, but I have two things that made me think twice:
a.) I can't find any km/h or metric support.
b.) PocketPC is eh, well... Lets put it like this, I "accidentally" ran over my Windows Mobile Phone..
Old 04-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

lol . I can confirm that MaxQData supports both kmh and mph. You can download the SW and play with it using Sample data that they provide. Just did. At first it seemed unimpressive compared to the nice tracmate sw but all the data seems to be there just need to read the manual a bit to see if it actually provides everything one needs to analyze. I also need to find time to play with some of the others next week.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also consider accuracy. Not all units offer the same sampling rate or accuracy specs. An inaccurate unit may be not much better than no unit at all.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Also consider accuracy. Not all units offer the same sampling rate or accuracy specs. An inaccurate unit may be not much better than no unit at all.
True true! 10hz GPS update is preferable and some G-sensors. But hey, right now if I don't get a laptimer it's wristwatch and a finger in the air
Old 04-20-2007, 07:10 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

I get a Traqmate (or some such), I'll have a laptimer for sale.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

I have all the info for you guys on the Traqmate. For those who emailed me I will email you tomorrow night with the details. I am in Iowa for a Koni Challenge race and the firewall at the hotel won't let me email out.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:23 AM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996

If you are considering the Perf Box at $499 then you need to take a hard look at the MaxQData GPS only unit at $299 that works with any PocketPC (windows mobile based) as a display and data capture unit. It seems to do a tone more for the track enthusiast than the Perf Box.
What does it do the PB does not? How much is the cheapest PocketPC if you don't already have one?

Gary
Old 04-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Traqmate!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:48 PM
va122
Drifting

any body get info?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:39 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
any body get info?
If you mean from Seth, yes. Email him with your email address.

Quick Reply: Dataloggers for GT3