Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Suggestion on datalogger?
AiM
18.75%
G2X
39.58%
DL1 + optional output screen
14.58%
AX22
4.17%
Driftbox/PerformanceBox
18.75%
DL90
0%
Pi
2.08%
G-Tech
2.08%
MaxQData
4.17%
Digidash
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Dataloggers for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:02 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does Traqmate link right into the GT3 plug? I am interested.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:16 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes, another one for Traqmate. I have used it for over a year and I am very happy with the hardware and software. Also, the support is great. In addition, I like to share the unit with other drivers when I am at a DE event. Everyone seems to like analyzing the data. The only thing that needs power for the traqmate is the SU (brain or controller unit), and it draws power from the cigarette lighter. The other option is to power the SU with a battery pack. One of the best things about is it is so portable and only takes a few minutes to install in your car. I put the SU right on top of my center console, GPS antenna goes on the roof of the passenger side and the display unit goes on the steering column -- not the best mount but it is easy for me to see my lap times. When I mount the unit in my student's or other drives cars I hide the display unit and tell them to pretend the unit is not in the car.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:37 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am interested in group buy, depending on discount.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Modoc
Instructor

same here.. ? price

Joe D
Old 04-18-2007, 11:29 PM
jlucas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnus, What do you want to do with the system?

Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited
Old 04-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I might be interested in a TraqMate GB too (I think I am number 6) if the price is right.

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 04-19-2007 at 12:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2007, 01:16 AM
lwilkins
Instructor

I tried the AX-22 for awhile, but it seemed to crash all the time. Probably not the unit's fault, but rather the fault of the cigarette power adaptor which I could not make to stay consistently connected in my 92 track car. Something about the configuration of the power adapter didn't like my cigarette lighter, but the result was it would vibrate loose in the middle of a lap and it would recycle, losing the entire session. I also wasn't comfortable with the suction mounting system for the AX22 in a race car. Looked unreliable and like a projectile to me.

However, I liked the software and considered the DL-1 to hardwire in, but would have also had to buy the display.

For somewhat less money than the DL-1 plus the display, I got the G2X including display for $965 I think. It hooked up easily, the cigarette ligher plug has never failed me, and the unit has worked consistently for over 1 year. So I now have a lot of laps to compare, rather than the very few I had with the AX-22.

I don't find any of the 3 softwares (AX22, DL-1 or G2X) what I would call "easy", but with a bit of learning and reading the user's manual, I have become reasonably adept with all of them. The DL-1 has the advantage of being a bit smaller, and even fits inside the console of newer cars, while the G2X is definitely larger, about 6" x 6" x 2".

The first G2X I got didn't work properly, and it took a couple of days to make sure it wasn't just my misunderstanding of it. Once we concluded the unit was bad, I can attest that their customer service department busted their chops to get me a new, working unit within a day, before my first track event. (THANKS!)

They're owned by MSD, so have a good history in the racing business. I think highly of their customer service.

Hope this helps you in your decision.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:50 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be interested in the Traqmate as well... Just want to be sure that it is highly recommended! I only want to buy one system!

-Blake
Old 04-19-2007, 07:49 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 171mph
Any loggers out there that have software for Mac? I'm the pretty boy on the right in that commercial
D-oh! I'm his twin brother

So, can this be run on a Mac as well? I really don't want to go buy a windows pc but I really like the idea of the Traqmate system and what it can do. Argh!!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:55 AM
jlucas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of DL1 advantages:
-If you plan on tapping into inputs in the car, that would be free on the DL1 and will cost extra on the others.
-If you want to have predictive lap & segments times, you can only get that with the DL1 optional display, the other brands do not have that option. Just having a lap time is not really that useful for learning to improve. You need to break it down into smaller segments just like you do when your using the analysis software.
-10hz GPS with WAAS
-size (if that's an issue)
-time slip variable in the analysis software
-customizable/flexible software

You can learn from any of these (TM, G2X, DL1) but using the analysis software, tapping into the car, and future expandability are the areas where they differ.

Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited
Old 04-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Since I am not a sponsor of the boards I can't post buying info here and run a group buy on products like this. If anybody is interested in the Traqmate email me at seth at seththomas.net. I can tell you guys the details of the units and what the cost of the unit will be.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell

So, can this be run on a Mac as well? I really don't want to go buy a windows pc but I really like the idea of the Traqmate system and what it can do. Argh!!!!
No....it will not run on a Mac. I got an old, and I mean OLD PC from a friend and it runs fine on that.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

I was planning to replace my DL1 with the AIM MXL series, thinking that the CAN interface would be great. I was told by CDOC, after they researched my question with AIM, that the CAN interface works with the Cup Car, but not the street GT3. In other words, no direct CAN feeds into the AIM device from our ECUs.

I find the DL1 is pretty functional. I was able to tap into the wiring harness for RPM (which I find very helpful, not only for obvious reasons, but also because it can then determine gear by correlating speed with RPM).
Old 04-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

If I have a Traqmate and my buddy has a DL1 or some other system, can the data be compared other than my eyeballing it? I know that if we both have Traqmates we can download both sets of data and do a virtual race or better yet, exactly comparte segment data. I am wondering if its preferable to have everyone on one system.

Greg H.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlucas
Magnus, What do you want to do with the system?

Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited
Lucas,
From the usage of the system, the ideal would be to have a mobile MoTec unit. Though we know it's not possible, I'm trying to find what can be done for a descent amount of money with a mobile datalogger.

The no.1 use is to get lap times and break them down per section. This would be the main framework to work around. Sections should be flexible, meaning I should be able to decide myself where section should be. The system should be able to "draw" its own map of the track and I should be able to set the sections from there. Also being able to get the lap times right after the lap, not an hour later in the pits with a notebook. Again ideal would be somewhat like the MoTec i2 Pro software.

After that, whatever sensors can be hooked up in a GT3 (without going deep into wiring or putting new ones) and speed and G-force information from accelerometers and GPS.

I'd like to have as much data possible connected this, throttle, brake, shift, steering and so on. But the GT3 being a street car and lacking several measurement possibilities, I'll have to cope with whatever can be extracted.

Ciao

Quick Reply: Dataloggers for GT3