Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

If mid engine were a possibility in GT2/GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:45 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default If mid engine were a possibility in GT2/GT3

Interested in what the GT2/GT3 911 owners have to say. If the dealer asked you where you wanted your GT2/GT3 engine:
  • Front
  • Middle (lose rear seats)
  • Back (status quo)

which check box would you choose?

p.s.
I got to thinking about this "option" after watching Porsche-hater J. Clarkson
in this clip.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lIB3bbdU9oU
Old 10-30-2006, 12:35 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

A well designed mid engine platform is better than a well designed rear engine platform. However, for 99.99% of people, they will never drive at a level where it even matters.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:45 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

I think more than .1% of 911 owners take part in DE, Autocross or some form of driving where it does matter to them. I also think it matters for prospective Porsche buyers who want the qualities of a Porsche exhibited in 911, CaymanS, Boxster/S, CGT but don't want their engine back there. Somehow I think if a mid engine 'option' were available in the 911 the CaymanS would never have come into being.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

I would absolutely go for the Cayman with a GT3 engine even if it were the Mk 1 GT3 360 HP engine.

The rear engine design came from a compromise tht Dr. Porsche made after he built Porsche #1 which was mid engined. Marketing required more space inside and the solution was to put the engine in the back.

For performance it makes no sense, no real Porsche racing car from the 550 to the GT1 to the latest RS Spyder has been rear engined. Only the 911 funny cars such as the 935 and FIA race cars which must be based on a production line chassis have been rear engined.

So the racing department picks the mid-engine and the marketing department picks the rear engine- which the race department gets stuck with when they have to.

Give me the mid-engine any day!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:12 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

^well for this poll I'm not trying to define which is ultimately 'best".
I'm trying to gauge interest in this mid engine thing ever becoming an option. Sort of like
do you want RWD or AWD? Mid engine or Rear engine? I think both configs have their advantages
and disadvantages. Ultimately it would be very cool me thinks if a sports car maker was in-tune with its buyers/prospective buyers so much that they would give them this level of control. Most would opt for a more practical/historical rear engine but many would part company. The CaymanS is a great car but people seem to want more power and some aren't sold on the size and looks. A mid engine 911 with AWD, Turbo and Targa top? its all about choices..

p.s.
interesting...so far it looks like in the 996 forum only a 1/3 went for the mid option while the "BIG power crowd" seems to be doing the opposite with only 1/3 passing up a mid engine 911. Please vote!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

I think it is not a question of whether the GT2/3 is made "mid engined" as much is whether the Cayman/Boxster gets the GT engine and gearbox.

The Boxster/Cayman are very similar to a 911 in the first place. They are essentially identical cars from the doors forward. On a normal 997 even the engine and gearbox are from the same design family.

The main difference in the 911 chassis is the rear suspension which is a multilink set up while the Boxster/Cayman has a Chapman strut set up using parts from the front suspension to do this trick.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:36 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Yeah but what if you don't like the looks and size of the CaymanS and prefer the 911 styling and proportions?
I think the 2002-2004 996 is the nicest looking 911 so far..wide body very nice. But I really like mid engine cars now, or a front engine car where the engine sits rear of the front shock mounts like the S2000. I'd like to have my cake and eat it too.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:16 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the difference in results depends on the question. In the 911 forum, I think 911 is synonymous with 2+2 seating, rear-engine placement/dynamics, and so for maybe the next 40 years, the 911 can be rear engine. With the GT* cars, I think there is a lot more lattitude in exactly what that configuration means, but the clear emphasis is on performance.

I hope that Porsche realizes that for buyers like me, who are not historical 911 owners but want a very high performance mid-engine car, that I would be cross-shopping with cars such as a used F360 or next generation NSX, etc., and not 911s. I think this is the the frustrating "gap" in Porsche's portfolio.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by perfectlap
Interested in what the GT2/GT3 911 owners have to say. If the dealer asked you where you wanted your GT2/GT3 engine:
  • Front
  • Middle (lose rear seats)
  • Back (status quo)

which check box would you choose?

p.s.
I got to thinking about this "option" after watching Porsche-hater J. Clarkson
in this clip.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lIB3bbdU9oU
I really hope everyone stayed to watch the end of that video... pretty good stuff and a clear method of learning the differences between a Turbo, C4S, and a C4
Old 10-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

The only problem with the video is the guy says that " In the C4S you get the same engine as the Turbo without the Turbo" which is NOT true.

The engine in he Turbo is from a completely different family of engine and is really a variant of the air colled 911 engine. The C4S engine is the Boxster type engine which is designed for cheapo production.

If you want to see the differences go here.Here
Old 10-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The only problem with the video is the guy says that you get "The same engine without the Turbo" which is NOT true.

The engine in he Turbo is from a completely different family of engine and is really a variant of the air colled 911 engine. The C4S engine is the Boxster type engine which is designed for cheapo production.

If you want to see the differences go here.Here
Correct. I also notice that mistake on his comments... deceiving as we all know one has its roots in race cars and the other one is a disposable version. I just watched the show as good car related entertainment.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:10 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I think more than .1% of 911 owners take part in DE, Autocross or some form of driving where it does matter to them. I also think it matters for prospective Porsche buyers who want the qualities of a Porsche exhibited in 911, CaymanS, Boxster/S, CGT but don't want their engine back there. Somehow I think if a mid engine 'option' were available in the 911 the CaymanS would never have come into being.
0.1% of people may DE, but how many really push the car to 95%+? Very, very few. IMHO, you only really get the benefits of the mid engined platform when you are going legit fast.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:16 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
0.1% of people may DE, but how many really push the car to 95%+? Very, very few. IMHO, you only really get the benefits of the mid engined platform when you are going legit fast.
hasn't this statment become a cliche' by now?
what do you want them to do engineer cars for the slowest drivers?
i'd rather them keep pushing the envelope for the small percentage that can push the car.
p.s. i voted mid
Old 10-30-2006, 03:26 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The C4S engine is the Boxster type engine which is designed for cheapo production..Here

I bet you are the guy who goes to the away game and sits in the home crowd's most vicious section screaming that their team sucks.

p.s.
J. Clarkson is very biased and not PC as you see with the bikini girls.
"I guess I would go for the Boxster, because who would be caught in a convertible Carrera? I mean other than a homosexual"-Jeremy Clarkson
Old 10-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I guess that was a little strong. Let's just say less expensive production.

Didn't mean to offend and should have watched my etiquette.

Quick Reply: If mid engine were a possibility in GT2/GT3