Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Amen!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
...Did anyone read I think in EVO magazine where they tested a Cayman around SPA Francorchamps and it smoked on the long sweepers and Porsche said the engine may have been overfilled with oil? I think it was a failure of the "integrated dry sump" to keep up with the lateral G. ---.
in very tight left handers, my cayman will puff a cloud of smoke from exhaust. probably oil sloshing into air/oil separator.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

911 is the Venice of cars... a terrible idea, brilliantly executed.

A GT3 Cayman or whatever would be awesome and in principle I'm all for mid engine cars since it's better but as long as we're talking about 911s, the engine needs to be in back.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:59 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find this question amusing. Position of the engine is just one factor in determining handling chracteristics. In theory, mid should be better but it depends on weight distribution of other eliments of the car. I have driven mid engined cars that are imposible once the limit is reached while I have also driven front engined cars that are truly wonderful.

So, for me, I will not assume to tell a designer where to put his engine but to let hiom tell me where he would most like it to be. I will then judge his product and decide if I want it.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

The 911s may be beating the F430's some, but usually the F430 is much faster. The advantage the 911's have is that they are sorted out, the F430 is new. In ALMS the biggest competitor to the Risi Comtezione team this year was themselves. They kept switching co-drivers to Mika Salo and the co-drivers kept wrecking the cars!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmorris3
The 911s may be beating the F430's some, but usually the F430 is much faster. The advantage the 911's have is that they are sorted out, the F430 is new. In ALMS the biggest competitor to the Risi Comtezione team this year was themselves. They kept switching co-drivers to Mika Salo and the co-drivers kept wrecking the cars!
+1 So dumb from Risi, Salo would've won the championship for sure had the team mates not wrecked the cars.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
I find this question amusing. Position of the engine is just one factor in determining handling chracteristics. In theory, mid should be better but it depends on weight distribution of other eliments of the car. I have driven mid engined cars that are imposible once the limit is reached while I have also driven front engined cars that are truly wonderful.

So, for me, I will not assume to tell a designer where to put his engine but to let hiom tell me where he would most like it to be. I will then judge his product and decide if I want it.
No question that one can find poorly designed and or developed examples of all potential engine positions, and furthurmore the 911 is the best example of the rear engined type.

It still remains that when Porsche has had a clean sheet of paper to start the design of a racing car or a free hand at modification of the 911 for racing, the result has been a mid-engined car.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:01 AM
RK1
Instructor

One very important aspect of performance is traction. In dynamic physics it makes since to have the engine at the back in a rear drive car. This is why very few cars can exit out of a corner like a 911. Its also the reason why you should NOT lift :-) coming out .....

Kevin
Old 11-02-2006, 07:45 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was just thinking ( I know, a dangerous thing) that since the GT 3 is actually quite different than the 997 and is less powerful than the GT 2 & GT 1 why can't Porsche Marketing come out with a GT 4 i.e. a higher performance track oriented Cayman S with perhaps a true dry sump motor?

That way they could spin it not as a threat to the 997 but as the GT 3's little brother??
Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cupcar
No question that one can find poorly designed and or developed examples of all potential engine positions, and furthurmore the 911 is the best example of the rear engined type.

It still remains that when Porsche has had a clean sheet of paper to start the design of a racing car or a free hand at modification of the 911 for racing, the result has been a mid-engined car.
Ditto that.

In principle, if you have a car with 50/50 weight distribution and most of the weight is on both ends (i.e engine in front, tranny in back etc.) or a car with 50/50 weight distribution and majority of the weight in the middle, there's no question the latter car handles better.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Dozer
Intermediate

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
911's have the engine in tha back!
If you want mid engine Porsche, buy a Boxster or a Cayman.

Quick Reply: If mid engine were a possibility in GT2/GT3