Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Sound Exhaust System for a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Does their system include cats too? If so, will it pass CA smog tests (and will they guarantee this)?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:59 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does include cats. No idea on your smog test though. When you put it in F1 mode it bypasses the cats
Old 07-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great answer DanH,

You have beat me to it. I just called them with all the questions in the past plus Holger B's latest question. They told me it does include the cats but they are not sure whether it would pass smog tests. I also learned that the silent mode sounds like stock whereas F-1 mode sounds better than a GT3 cup car. And guess where the in cabin switchable button is? Yep! You got it! It's located at the center concole and next to your black window controls buttons are. Porsche made those two buttons (dead) and that's the F1 mode and silent mode switchable button is. DanH, I did ask them about the decibel rating again but they said they haven't tested it yet? They also mentioned that stainless steel version weight about 60% of the stock GT3 exhaust. And yes, Kreissieg makes the best exhaust and you bet they are hand made with 1 year warrant. I am thinking about driving to their down town Chicago shop for installation. I have a good feeling to get a good discount if we can get enough people to do a group buy. I will learn more on group buy issue at the end of the day. Meanwhile please let me know who is interested? I have the following so far:

Dirtdoc
Myself
superbigfo
NJ-GT
Holger B
Stuka (they have one for your lovely GT2)
9Eleven

Did I missed anyone?

Last edited by Tso GT3; 07-24-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Holger B
Race Car

I'm out if there's no smog guarantee.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:39 AM
GTThree
3rd Gear

I'm not interested in a purchase but am curious as to how the engine management would handle this system. Wouldn't you have issues due to the oxygen sensors being in and out of the exhaust path or do they somehow cover this? Wouldn't you also get lights and error codes?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Holger B,

I will check with them again for the Smog Test Guarantee Program. The sale guy did tell me they sold a couple of system to California and had no problem. As far as quality wise, they also make a $25,000 USD exhaust system for the Lambos and I have never heard of any product out there that's close to the Kreissieg. PM me if you are interested, I am starting a group buy of 3 GT3s and 2 GT2s for Kreissieg system.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

HI

This is Joe @ Fabspeed Motorsports. You know I have never made a VIDEO of our complete GT3 sport exhaust consisting of 1) Headers with merge collectors, 2) sports race catalytic converters and 3) Maxflo mufflers ALL TOGETHER in 1 VIDEO.

I already have many Videos and never considered a 4th Video for the GT3 or 996 or 997cars as I figured so many videos would be consfusing.

Here is my opinion on exhaust systems for the 996 & GT3.

#1) If you want GT3 CUP car sound and lightweight--- then you will ONLY get that sound with stock cats and muffler bypass pipes. Dont look any farther because the GT3 CUP cars from 1998 to 2001 had that set-up and Fabspeed Motorsports has been offering that proven systems since the summer of 1998.

If you want exotic sound here is what you do if you already have a freeflow performance muffler system. EACH & EVERY 996, GT3 and 997 cars as manufactured by Porsche comes with 4 catalytic converters from the factory. If you change out your factory cats to sports catalytic converters............the car will get LOUDER and raspier and more high pictched NO MATTER what brand of cats you may consider. In addition if you go with "catbypass pipes" cross pipes then you will gaian pick up more sound and more power. You are essentially "removing sound crontrol" devices every time you simply your exhaust system.

Sport catalytic converters that "keep separate pathways" make more power & torque that the merged "X" style pipes you have seen from Kreissig by a significant margin........furthermore the "double mittered U Bends" as seen on several systems also loose power & Torque versus separate cross pipes as the "U" bends have to have almost a 1 to 1 bend radii to stay tucked under the rear bumper of a 996, GT3 or 997. It looks COOL and HIGH TECH..........but it doesnt work and is fluff. Perhaps because the GERMAN TUNERS offer it......." a few car guys that drive $120,000.00 dollar German cars "mistakenly assume" that the GErmans or others know what is best"!

I have tried all that nonsense on the DYNO at Fabspeed about 10 years ago on the 993 cars..........then on the 996 cars and GT3...............each & every time the car lost POWER as the exhaust had to do too much bending and changing direction and therefore exhaust velocity was reduced and backpressure was higher. Dont overthink/overscience/overtech the situation.

2) fabspeed can offer the same headers, racecats, and MAXFLO performance mufflers to make the car sound racy. We offer all our products and systems ala carte..............you dont have to buy everything all at once and all of our "bolt-on" performance products are "interchangeable" so you can use one of more parts on your 996 , GT3 or 997 car. It makes no sense whatsoever to make a systems that is not compatible with any other systems on a Porsche unless its a race car.

If anyone wants to come by Fabspeed Motorsports shop we will be looking for a GT3 to install all of our GT3 headers, Sport cats, Maxflo mufflers and make a VIDEO. Also we will install our CUP airbox and make another Video on top of that too!

1st person to Fabspeed gets hooked up.

Best Regards
Joe Fabiani
President
Fabspeed Motorsports
283 North Main Street
Ambler, PA 19002-5065
USA
www.fabspeed.com
info@fabspeed.com
215-646-4945 (9828fax)
Old 07-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Joe, where's the San Francisco branch office? j/k

A few questions:
I've got your bypass pipes and what you wrote about the sound & weight is absolutely true (as long as you can stand the dB level). One problem is that due to the heat, the tips tarnish. Any way to keep them shiny?

I don't think the headers add much power, if any. True or not? Also, how is the ground clearance relative to stock?

Will the sport cats pass Cali smog testing? Do they throw CEL's?

What are the noise levels? (It's starting to matter at more and more tracks.)

$64k question...what's the group price for the whole setup or individual parts?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

E-mail sent.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Holger B & Phokaioglaukos:

Are you guys interested in the Kreissieg system? Can you guys get two more GT2 so we can start our group buy? I am trying to set up a group buy for 3 GT3 & 2 GT2. Thank you very much for your help. Please PM me if you guys are interested. I can't wait to put on this awesome Kreissieg exhaust system. I wonder what would the local Porsche dealship charge for the installation for the system. I personally might just drive down to downtown Chicago for the installation.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Tso GT3, you can call me Chris. I'm not up for a Kreissieg system. I'm more of a Pep Boys muffler bypass sort of guy.... but thanks for asking.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Thanks for your respond Chris. Enjoy your Fabspeed exhaust! Do they have warranty? I heard from NJ-GT that Porsche doesn't give out warranty for their exhaust system. You might also want to double check with your dealership to see whether Fabspeed would void the warranty for your GT3. When I was trying to upgrade the wheels and rims on both my Cayenne Turbo & GT3, I was told the warranty might be void due to non-N rated tires.

I like the Kreissieg system because they offer the best sounding exhaust for our GT3 and NJ-GT has tried almost them all (Fabspeed, Europipe, Cargraphic,....etc) also agree they have the finest sound and quality. I am ready to blow my neighbor away with the Kreissieg as he always shows off his Tubi exhaust. I also like the fact they have a switchable button so I can sneak home late at night!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:03 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In my experience, my FabSpeed MaxFlo mufflers with stock headers/stock cats were too loud for me.

My FabSpeed Mufflers bypass pipes took a lot of weight out of the car, but they were extremely loud for me. I even got headaches.

Currently, I'm running FabSpeed Cat bypass pipes with stock mufflers and stock headers. It sounds better than stock, but not as refined and nice as the CarGraphics system that made me start this discussion.

The Cargraphics system uses cross-pipe cats. They guarantee a power increase that is TUV certified.

The RUF powerkit uses cross-pipe cats. Power increase is TUV certified.

The PSI MotorSports kit uses cross-pipe cats. The Manthey Racing exhaust uses cross-pipe cats. Both of them with power gains TUV certified.

I heard a Cargraphics system, and an Europipe system. The Cargraphics sounds better than the Europipe, and the Europipe sounds much better than stock.

I don't think there is that much to gain with headers, because the 996 GT3 headers are used on the 996 GT3 Cup, same part numbers.

The beauty of the Kreissieg is the ability to bypass the mufflers and run headers-->cats-->outlets by pressing a button, then back to normal with a 30 lbs weight reduction.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

NJ-GT,

Well written! I was hoping you can share your experience with us. After all, not many of us have experience so many other different products. And thanks again for starting this post, or else I would never learn so much about other products. Best of all, I don't have to spend all that money for headaches. . Once I get 3 GT3 and 2 GT2 as group buy, I will share with others on my experience towards the Kreissieg system. Please PM me if anyone is interested otherwise I will start a post in a few weeks. They told me they can only allocate 3 GT3 and 2 GT2 in the next 4 to 6 weeks. Because they are all hand made and well design from Japan.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:01 PM
JimStrott
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I insist on the more refined sound quality coming from systems using cross pipes.
NJ, from your extensive listening experience, do you think that a cross-pipe sport cat (e.g., Cargraphics) is really the important bit, then?
So maybe even the stock mufflers would suffice? That would certainly be a cost-effective path to nice sound.
If louder is desired, as by some, then add the FS muffler bypass (still cheap), or maybe the FS MaxFlo for an in-between loudness at more cost (but still way less than Kreissieg).

Whatcha think?

-Jim

Quick Reply: Best Sound Exhaust System for a GT3?