Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Sound Exhaust System for a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 02:40 PM
KIYO_GT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Kreissieg is a Japanese company located near my house.
There are some different videos on their Japanese website than on the English website.
http://www.kreissieg.com/report/sound/Soundmain.html

There is another company called "Range." This company is located in Suzuka, near Suzuka Circuit.
http://www.range911.com/japan/ex/bigphoto/video.htm

The image of their system.
http://www.range911.com/japan/ex/bigphoto/img.htm
Old 06-30-2006, 02:52 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

KIYO,

Is that Range system a titanium one? Does it have holes for 4 oxygen sensors or 2?

I really like it. Cross Pipes cats produce much better sound, that's the weak part on the Europipe system.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

KIYO,

Is that Range system a titanium one? Does it have holes for 4 oxygen sensors or 2?

I really like it. Cross Pipes cats produce much better sound, that's the weak part on the Europipe system.

NJ-GT,

Check your PM. I found out the Range 911 exhaust system cost about $6,600 USD without shipping cost. Maybe I can get some of my friends in JP to do a group buy to cut the cost down. What do you think?
Old 06-30-2006, 06:28 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Range system is the second version of the system sold in U.S. as Meistershaft-Eisenmann Titanium (installed on the former DCLee car).

I noticed the 4 holes for the oxygen sensors. Also noticeable is that cats are located next to the headers, made on stainless steel.

The Range system weighs 40 lbs (including the headers), saving almost 50 lbs compared to stock.

Good stuff...
Old 06-30-2006, 08:45 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Range system looks beautifully made. Not much in the way of silencer, although it sounds quiet in the incar footage? Wish these guys quoted decibel levels etc.

Not sure about a ti exhaust though. Aren't they meant to be a bit brittle and very hard to weld should a crack form?

KIYO_GT3 - do you know anyone with a kreissieg on a GT3. Are they pleased with it? Do you have any idea how you switch the exhaust modes, does it mean installing wiring etc?

Johannes - if you are serious about getting one, it did look like the Yen price was better than the USD price when I last looked at them (and decided I couldn't afford it).
Old 06-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I own DCLee's car with the Meistershaft-Eisenmann Titanium exhaust. The car is very loud. My wife can hear me literally 3 to 4 minutes before I get home when I am out driving. I love the exhuast, but could not tolerate it if this car were my daily driver. I have taken the car to work a few times and am very careful when I see a cop behind me (keep the revs below 3K). I think Lee calculated a 56 lbs weight loss with the system over stock. If I ever feel like waking the dead, this is the car to attempt it in.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:17 AM
KIYO_GT3
Intermediate

NJ-GT - I think you figured it out. Yes, the system is a titanium one. Their titanium version is a composite system of stainless and titanium. The main muffler and the tail pipe is titanium, other parts such as exhaust manifold and the catalytic converters are stainless steel. It is generation two which is a lot quiet than the previous version. The system has four holes for the O2 sensors, as in the Porsche stock system. So there should be nothing to worry about. But, there are some people having a CEL coming up because of the cats are so free-flow, they can't get to the operating temperatures in some conditions. The work around for this is to wrap the cat with a thermal tape and help it to warm up easily. The sound is loud. I know an owner of the system who thinks it is too loud for his GT3 with no inner carpets. Also, the governmental inspection in Japan has a 103 dB limit for rear engine cars. This system doesn’t pass the inspection.

DanH - The Kreissieg F1 system has a switch you wire into the cabin to change the mode of the exhaust system. I will leave it open if I buy this.

Tso GT3 - I will be happy to help your GB if your frind was not be able to help you. Let me know what I can do.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:38 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jon,

You're correct, the weight saving is around those 56 lbs. That system is lighter than the GT3 Cup system by a lot. The v2 is around 8 lbs heavier.

KIYO,

With the V2 being a little heavier than the V1 (8 lbs up) due to the 6 sound reduction elements compared to 4 in the previous version. It still doesn't pass the 103dB inspection. I think that the V1 and V2 could be as loud as the stock cats and muffler bypass pipes, and that's loud.

Certain cars are more prone to get a CEL. I run cat-bypass pipes and I don't get a CEL.

All,

It seems that the best sound for an exhuast on the GT3 comes from the Kreissieg system. The system has the additional feature of a vacuum valve that can be controlled from the cabin to run the exhaust quiet or loud, the loud configuration doesn't seem to be as loud as the muffler bypass pipes, GT3Cup exhaust, or the Range system exposed here.

The Kreigsieg system also uses cross pipes. I insist on the more refined sound quality coming from systems using cross pipes. If we park two 4 cyl cars next to each other, they don't sound like a V8. The stock exhaust system, most of the aftermarket systems (including Europipe), use independent lines for each engine cams, so the result is a twin 3 cyl engine sound on the exhaust from a 6 cyl engine.

The engine (not the exhaust) in the GT3 is loud, so it masks the exhuast lack of refinement. But once you go with louder exhausts, you will notice what I did with the different FabSpeed products, the twin 3cyl sound (monotone) masks the beautiful engine sound.

The only system I've heard using cross pipes, is the Cargraphics and it's great. The PSI-420 kit uses cross pipes as well.

I need to research if the Gert's console switch kit that retails for 180 euros, will work with the Kreissieg vacuum valves.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:43 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

NJ-GT let me know how it works out. Maybe you could just call Kreissig US and see if they include all the switches with the exhaust etc. I'm slighlty envious that you have a US dealer as whilst it is 500 bucks more than the Japanese price (it used to be several thousand), at least you've got someone on the correct continent to deal with and maybe have a listen. If you get any noise level readings that would be good info too.

p.s. I suspect it will be as loud as anything when in F1 mode, it bypasses everything (silencers, cats + resonators) Not sure if you've seen this diagram? http://www.kreissieg-usa.com/index.php?page=product

p.p.s. Sorry for bringing up the kreissieg when you specifically said not to! At least it's got cheaper.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Tso GT3 - I will be happy to help your GB if your frind was not be able to help you. Let me know what I can do.
KIYO_GT3 is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote

KIYO,

Do I need to also run a different set of air filter for kreissieg or the range 911 exhaust system? Please let me know if there's any other modification I need to run the two systems (would the RS air scoop be better for the set up?). Thank you very much for your help.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:56 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if my Cargraphic has cross pipes - but it does sound exceptional. My main problem is that the headers are a bit closer to the graound than the stock exhaust manifold - one of the header pipes has a serious dent in it from a speed bump incident!

DanH, are you at Donnington on Thursday? If so, you can hear the Cargraphic in my MK1.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:15 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Nope, brief trackday hiatus Think my next event will be Goldtrack@silverstone fairly soon.

There's a saturday at donny coming up soon too, which appeals on the not burning annual leave front.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 AM
RK1
Instructor

I purchased the Fabspeed muffler bypass for the sole purpose of saving weight at the rear and sound level or quality was never a factor however I've been driving the car more and more on the street lately and now those two are becoming more important to me know.
From what have been said I believe the Europipes are going to be on the mark for me but I have a question. I have also read that the OE headers on the GT3 are very good and very little if any can be gained by replacing them..... is this true? Also noticed the Europipes kit dose NOT include headers, is this related to the above ? If not why don't they have a kit that includes headers?

Kevin
Old 07-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Can anyone send me a wmv file of the Europipe exhaust system? I am having trouble downloading the quick time file. I am wondering whether Europipe might be good enough in terms of sound quality, weight saving, and price comparing to the mighty Kreissieg exhaust system. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:41 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

The Eruopipe hands down... that's the one that most people here like.

Quick Reply: Best Sound Exhaust System for a GT3?