Sponsored by:

Ouch! -- Rotor cost & questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dan - I realize that I didn't cover the rear rotors properly. There's a reason, I haven't changed them (yet). I suspect you are right, there must be as cable for the handbrake. I have changed rear pads and it is like the front only easier.

I'm not sure what you mean about caliper pins, The front is a longish bolt and it can be reused. I was told that the Allen head bolts that hold the calipers on are one time use. Someone else posted that that is incorrect and that they can be reused and should be torqued to 70 NM. The rear calipers use a pin (not a bolt) which is secured with a cotter pin which should be replaced (but I rarely do).
I'll update the DIY as soon as I replace the rear rotors.

Best,
Old 03-15-2006, 11:44 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 616 Posts
Red face I think they are starting to move back up.

PS: I'm finding GT3s in the $80-90K range, not $70-80. Am I looking in the wrong places or do I need to wait for the release of the 997 GT3
I think that the 996 GT3's are starting to move back up in price.

Here are just 2 reasons that I can think of.

#1. The 997 GT3 is just priced to high. Are you really getting $30-45k more car? I think not!!

#2. The 997 GT3 seems to be soft, when compared to the 996 GT3.

I say that if you are looking for a 996 GT3, now is the time. If you wait too long, they just might be more expensive then the 997 GT3.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:33 AM
bora
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good.

I hope they go up to the mid 90s ;-)

Originally Posted by cosmos
I think that the 996 GT3's are starting to move back up in price.

Here are just 2 reasons that I can think of.

#1. The 997 GT3 is just priced to high. Are you really getting $30-45k more car? I think not!!

#2. The 997 GT3 seems to be soft, when compared to the 996 GT3.

I say that if you are looking for a 996 GT3, now is the time. If you wait too long, they just might be more expensive then the 997 GT3.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cos- you're always in the know! call me back already.

I think 996 GT3's are beginning to fall into collector hands, soon they'll be scarce on the market at all. That car is the one true highlight to Porsche's all-too-mass produced, or leaky-rear-main, or SUV production run from 1999 to 2006. It is a classic, and was when brand new. 10yrs from now the German collectors will be coming over to take them back. (just like the 66-73 911's are seeing today)

Additionally, the 997 GT3's are sold out through spring of '07 thus the 996GT3 is an alternative purchase for some individuals looking to upgrade from the M3 or other highline performance focused cars. And Nobles are just hard to get and have little touring appeal.

just my buck O 2.

Austin
Old 03-16-2006, 01:59 AM
bora
Racer

I expect that particular regular poster to have another GT3 in his driveway in less than 6 months

Even if you don't get the motorsport rotors, you can get aftermarket non-floaters which save a lot of weight and the replacement discs can be obtained in non-drilled applications for about the same price as the list price for the Porsche rotors.

I personally prefer flat, non-drilled, non-slotted discs for the track. Unfortunately, I don't think these are available for the GT3 brakes.

Consumables for Porsches are cheap when you factor in the life of them. 10-20 track days on a set of discs is pretty much a whole season for most people.

Oh by the way, switch to Pagid RS19 or RS29. The pad type and construction has a significant affect on rotor wear and heat.

Originally Posted by Andy (Portland, OR)
As some of you know, I've been looking for a GT3 for the track, but am also considering a Cayman S.

One of the regular posters here, who has owned GT3s and now owns Caymans, has cautioned me about the cost of consumables (rotors, pads, tires) for the GT3.

So, I called my dealer for some prices (retail):

FRONT ROTOR (EACH)

• GT3: cast iron $516; PCCB $5,420

• Cayman: cast iron $146

This means you can buy 3.5 cast iron rotors for the Cayman for the price of one cast iron rotor for the GT3! Seems like just another example of Porsche's pricing philosophy: maximize profit margins without regard to customer relations. (And, yes, I'm aware rotors can be purchased for less than retail -- I used retail just for comparison purposes.)

So, how many track days do you guys get out of a set of front rotors?

At what degree of cracking do you replace them? (I've heard different answers to this question: "when the holes connect," "when the cracks radiate to the edge of the rotor, etc.") Both of the GT3s I saw at our last track day had cracked rotors.

Thanks, Andy
Old 03-16-2006, 02:25 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin
Cos- you're always in the know! call me back already.

I think 996 GT3's are beginning to fall into collector hands, soon they'll be scarce on the market at all. That car is the one true highlight to Porsche's all-too-mass produced, or leaky-rear-main, or SUV production run from 1999 to 2006. It is a classic, and was when brand new. 10yrs from now the German collectors will be coming over to take them back. (just like the 66-73 911's are seeing today)

Additionally, the 997 GT3's are sold out through spring of '07 thus the 996GT3 is an alternative purchase for some individuals looking to upgrade from the M3 or other highline performance focused cars. And Nobles are just hard to get and have little touring appeal.
For other models with similar production numbers (C2 turbos for example) the market took 10-12 years to stabilize. I think the same will be true of the GT3. It will be a $55k car in 5 more years, and will likely stay around that figure for the next 10. After that, it might start to slowly appreciate.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by bora
I expect that particular regular poster to have another GT3 in his driveway in less than 6 months
this particular regular poster must not be named john.

cup car rotors last as long as street gt3 rotors, and are about 600/set.
cayman is a great car, but it shoudn't be compared or used in the same sentence as GT3.

cay's brakes aren't as conf inspiring as GT3, but it didn't scare me at LS or SP. i am within 3 seconds of GT3 in my cay at LS (me driving both car, gt3 12 month prior to cayman, so i hope my driving improved a bit).

with gt3, you dont need to change suspension unless you are really really really fast. with cayman, you really need something stiffer. different cars, almost impossible to prove.

damn bora..... i might must break the record. owning 3 different GT3. must resist.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:37 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy (Portland, OR)
As some of you know, I've been looking for a GT3 for the track, but am also considering a Cayman S.
Hi Andy,

We met on Monday at the PIR track day (I was in the orange Lotus). The more I thought about your situation, the more I feel you shoulid get a GT3. It's a great car if you mainly want to do track days, but it's still fun on the street.

Being that you are driving a boxster now, I think you will max out the Cayman before long. It will take a long while (and a lot of fun) to reach the limits of the GT3. Plus, a well driven GT3 is usually one of the fastest cars at any lapping days.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2006, 07:06 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dan - I realize that I didn't cover the rear rotors properly. There's a reason, I haven't changed them (yet). I suspect you are right, there must be as cable for the handbrake. I have changed rear pads and it is like the front only easier.

I'm not sure what you mean about caliper pins, The front is a longish bolt and it can be reused. I was told that the Allen head bolts that hold the calipers on are one time use. Someone else posted that that is incorrect and that they can be reused and should be torqued to 70 NM. The rear calipers use a pin (not a bolt) which is secured with a cotter pin which should be replaced (but I rarely do).
I'll update the DIY as soon as I replace the rear rotors.

Best,
Thanks. My mistake with regards to pins vs bolts. Yep I was referring to the one time use items, as I was wondering if there was similar at the rear. I've heard from multiple sources that the front one are one time use, but most of the race shops find the idea somewhat laughable. One guy on a UK forum did have his calliper fall off after reuse however!

I've found a bit of info about the rears on renntech. Seems I need to find an adjuster for the brake drum on the rear to slacken it off before removing the disc. Fingers crossed I can work it all out on Sat
Old 03-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray G
Hi Andy,

We met on Monday at the PIR track day (I was in the orange Lotus). The more I thought about your situation, the more I feel you shoulid get a GT3. It's a great car if you mainly want to do track days, but it's still fun on the street.

Being that you are driving a boxster now, I think you will max out the Cayman before long. It will take a long while (and a lot of fun) to reach the limits of the GT3. Plus, a well driven GT3 is usually one of the fastest cars at any lapping days.

Good luck!
Thanks, Ray. It was nice meeting you at PIR and receiving your thoughtful input. I think you and GT3Nut are right: I'm now officially in the hunt for a GT3, so let me know if come across a nice one, preferably white.

Andy
Old 03-16-2006, 11:36 AM
bora
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
damn bora..... i might must break the record. owning 3 different GT3. must resist.
I think you and I should start an LLC and co-register our cars in the corporation's name. This way we will be happy.

I keep buying a new car every 3 months
Old 03-16-2006, 02:42 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

My new alcons have arrived. Came with new front calliper bolts, at least I assume that is what they are. Makes sense since the front callipers have to be shimmed out a few mm with spacers anyway so the OEM bolts would be too short.

The disks look awesome.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2006, 09:52 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
I've found a bit of info about the rears on renntech. Seems I need to find an adjuster for the brake drum on the rear to slacken it off before removing the disc. Fingers crossed I can work it all out on Sat
The procedure for adjusting the 996GT3 parking brake is exactly the same as for the 964 so this might help.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 03-17-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
My new alcons have arrived. Came with new front calliper bolts, at least I assume that is what they are. Makes sense since the front callipers have to be shimmed out a few mm with spacers anyway so the OEM bolts would be too short.

The disks look awesome.

Are they 360mm rotors? Is that a J hook rotor?

Did the centre hardware and hats come from the states?

I believe that AP, Alcon are owned by Brembo.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:38 AM
teamsketch
Rennlist Member

I was all set on the Cayman (waiting for delivery) but now you guys have gotten me thinking about a GT3. I am just getting into going to the track (although already hopelessly addicted) and thought that the Cayman would be a good way to break myself in. The thought was to graduate into a GT3 (996 or maybe 997) in a year once I got more experience. Should I just go for the GT3 now?

Quick Reply: Ouch! -- Rotor cost & questions