Sponsored by:

Ouch! -- Rotor cost & questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ouch! -- Rotor cost & questions

As some of you know, I've been looking for a GT3 for the track, but am also considering a Cayman S.

One of the regular posters here, who has owned GT3s and now owns Caymans, has cautioned me about the cost of consumables (rotors, pads, tires) for the GT3.

So, I called my dealer for some prices (retail):

FRONT ROTOR (EACH)

• GT3: cast iron $516; PCCB $5,420

• Cayman: cast iron $146

This means you can buy 3.5 cast iron rotors for the Cayman for the price of one cast iron rotor for the GT3! Seems like just another example of Porsche's pricing philosophy: maximize profit margins without regard to customer relations. (And, yes, I'm aware rotors can be purchased for less than retail -- I used retail just for comparison purposes.)

So, how many track days do you guys get out of a set of front rotors?

At what degree of cracking do you replace them? (I've heard different answers to this question: "when the holes connect," "when the cracks radiate to the edge of the rotor, etc.") Both of the GT3s I saw at our last track day had cracked rotors.

Thanks, Andy
Old 03-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Andy, you can buy replacement GT3 Motorsport rotors for roughly half the price you quote. Check site sponsors.

Rotors need to be replaced when holes join 3 or more holes or if any crack goes to the edge of the rotor. I get 20-25 days out of my fronts. Rears go 3-4 x as long. Use of Pagid RS 19 pads helps make rotors last longer.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:02 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

I've just bought alcon floating disks all round. Been promised they won't rattle and will last 20-30 trackdays with a good driver (so I should get 50!). Dunno who can supply in the US, but they look nice
Old 03-15-2006, 11:51 AM
AndersA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
I've just bought alcon floating disks all round. Been promised they won't rattle and will last 20-30 trackdays with a good driver (so I should get 50!). Dunno who can supply in the US, but they look nice
This sounds interesting. Are the discs slotted? From where did you get them? What is the price for these?

/Anders
996 GT2
Old 03-15-2006, 12:20 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can not compare the rotors from a cayman and gt3. Of course the caymans will be less. They look like they are half the size. The cayman is a great car and will do well at autocross. If that is what you want get it. If you are looking to get around PIR quickly and often the GT3 is the car.
If the cost of stuff is an issue, get a Spec Miata they zip around the track.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:07 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Andy, you can buy replacement GT3 Motorsport rotors for roughly half the price you quote. Check site sponsors.

Rotors need to be replaced when holes join 3 or more holes or if any crack goes to the edge of the rotor. I get 20-25 days out of my fronts. Rears go 3-4 x as long. Use of Pagid RS 19 pads helps make rotors last longer.
Bob - you should be aware that Porsche Motorsports is clamping down on the amount of rotor available because the demand has gone through the roof due to the fact that the secret of Porsche's pricing is out. They are starting to require dealers/shops to provide VIN's of the race cars they are ordering rotors for to be sure they are not for street cars.

Of course this is really stupid - while I can't blame PM for trying to ensure they have an adequate supply of rotors for Cup car customers (of which I am one) the exposure of PCNA pricing practices points out how the parts replacement business is a cash cow. Unless of course there are major differences in the parts but from what I've heard that is not the case.

-Kevin
Old 03-15-2006, 01:08 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
you can not compare the rotors from a cayman and gt3. Of course the caymans will be less. They look like they are half the size. The cayman is a great car and will do well at autocross. If that is what you want get it. If you are looking to get around PIR quickly and often the GT3 is the car.
If the cost of stuff is an issue, get a Spec Miata they zip around the track.
A well driven D class Cyaman is probably a 2:12 car at Watkins Glen, and a well driven B class GT3 is a 2:07ish car. You have to decide how important those 5 seconds are.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

A well driven Cayman will require a brake upgrade to something with larger rotors and calipers to be in the same league asa the GT3 which weighs about the same.

Kevin, thanks for the tip, I will get some more while I can!

Best,
Old 03-15-2006, 03:45 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AndersA
This sounds interesting. Are the discs slotted? From where did you get them? What is the price for these?

/Anders
996 GT2
From JZ Machtech in the UK. Including VAT & shipping about 2k GBP all in. That was for :

2 front rotors + hats
2 rear rotors (have to reuse hats from ceramics)
all misc. fittings

Front rotors are 360mm (no changes required to callipers expect a spacer). Rear rotors are 350mm. They are slotted rather than drilled. Look pretty cool.

Also the front hats have steel inserts on the rotor mounting points to stop them wearing which can lead to a lot noise. Not quite sure what the deal is with the rear as its with the old hat although I think the new rotors still have a tiny amount of float. Hope it doesn't wear my rear hat as I don't think you can get those separately!

Also gone for RS29s despite Craig of Rennstore suggesting they aren't popular as too grabby. I reckon thats probably a good thing on the road where they won't be up to proper temp, and also ceramics that are being replaced are quite grabby so should have similar feel. Rennstore pad prices are awesome (although I had to order from UK this time due to time constraints).

As an aside is there a good brake disk changing guide up anywhere?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

DanH I posted a pad and rotor change DIY in the (guess what) DIY forum!

Best,
Old 03-15-2006, 04:01 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Bob. Never done this work before, but thought it was time I learnt and I've just ordered in a heap of tools! Sadly the jack arrived and its damaged /sigh...

Anyway I'll report back on the alcons once I've taken them on track. I've only heard good things so far.

p.s. Bob, just read your guide. Do I need to do anything special replacing the rear discs as I thought they were a bit different due to handbrake gubbins? Also do the rear callipers have one use only calliper pins too?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have about a dozen events on my AP Race rotors and I am on my second set of race pads,
Zero problems.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:43 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can one get a rollbar for the cayman?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:51 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

Andy,
All of the above posts carry merit.
Replacement rotors for the GT3 can be had cheaper than factory - as noted. I use DEVEK front rotors which are 2 peice and you can replace the discs and not the hats - which saves money.
As far as the Cayman being cheaper - sure I guess, but you WILL HAVE to upgrade the brakes if you drive hard. I had both my Cayman and GT3 out last weekend at Summit Point. The GT3 brakes are confidence inspiring. The Cayman scared the crap out of me when I was braking in turn 1. After knowing what to expect, the Cayman is what it is - a street car with very good track manners. Well balanced, relatively fast, very fun. The GT3 is a track car with very good street manners. Very fast, capable, VERY FUN. (And MY OPINION is that the Porsche slogan "There is no substitute" truly applies to the GT3!!)
Also to consider: You can probably buy a GT3 set up for the track for 70 - 80K now. You will pay 65K for a Cayman and then 10K++ on upgrades (brakes, roll bar, etc.) And you still can't rev the Cayman to 8200 RPM!!!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

GT3 Nut: thanks so much! I really appreciate your input. I saw your car quiver in another post and figured I'd email you or call, since you own the two cars I'm considering. No need to now -- you've answered my questions. I've made up my mind. When I get the car, I'll let you know.

Andy

PS: I'm finding GT3s in the $80-90K range, not $70-80. Am I looking in the wrong places or do I need to wait for the release of the 997 GT3?

Quick Reply: Ouch! -- Rotor cost & questions