Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Lightweight Weight Reduction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 10:14 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not changing the trunk lid-- doing the RS aero wing and the RS front bumper-cover mod.

Lee in D.C.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:12 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

macfly,
I said uprights, its really the wheel carrier assembly. Porsche Motorsports has a set laying around, speak with Eric. Their shop is in Santa Ana Ca. A customer of theirs commissioned a set for his 996, from a F1 company in England. After they tooled up, it was easy to make extra units. They are beautiful, but if you have to ask how much, ... you know.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:47 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

There is measureable weight savings by replacing the brake and some suspension hardware with titanium (nuts, bolts, etc.).
Old 02-28-2005, 03:04 AM
Mikey
Racer

He he ... lost another 32lbs evenly this weekend ... involves a high tech replacement of on an existing piece and another -100lbs on the way. Let you guys figure that one out. Revised target is 26xx lbs.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:59 AM
DCLee
Pro

Gawd, a weight-loss competition, I love it!

Allrighty, then... Aftter railing repeatedly against Titanium exhausts, I may be getting a lightweight exhaust system that features Ti cannister mufflers, s.s. race headers, 200-cell cats close to the exhaust manifolds (not crissscrossed via link pipes like the stock system). Total weight is 30 lbs. vs. 86 lbs. Pricey. I may see this thing in about two weeks' time, will advise. It's intended for the RS+ project car.

Next: Ultralight 1-pc. BBS race wheels (if someone steps up and buys one or both of my brand new sets of Fikse Profil 13s). Should save 6 lbs. per corner vs. normal magnesium-center race wheel. Downside (besides cost): Not as purty as the classic 3-pc. BBS mesh design, obviously not expandable via different rim halves.

Re brake rotors: Look into the Alcons-- I've used them before and you cannot beat the quality, though the initial cost will be higher than the Devek product. Weight savings will easily be 5 lbs. per corner or more.

Ti wheel bolts-- Nah. Not a sane cost-effective mod, and in any case, I have swapped the stock 1-pc. wheel bolts for longer 993-style wheel studs w. steel lug nuts. Better for the track.

Lee in D.C.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I want to know is when and where we are going to line up all these lightweight bad boys and run them on the track? I'll bring my stock porker as a reference.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:19 AM
DCLee
Pro

Viewer advisory: "Stock" to Herman is roughly analogous to the meaning of "stock" to your typical NASCAR crew chief

Team UltraLite
Old 02-28-2005, 12:06 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lee:

Is that exhaust the Meisterschaft Race Ti?

I saw a picture and I was actually going to call them today to ask for the weight on the complete system, and any dyno runs before and after.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:12 PM
mds
Pro

Rock Racing has a couple of lighter weight batteries: AP-1228 is 18Ah, 450CCA at 18lbs and AP-1236 is 25Ah, 700CCA, 24lbs. They were used at Nextel Daytona, so I assume they are fairly shock resistant and durable. The smaller one may be too small, but I decided to try it first, the car is on a charger anyway overnight so maybe it will be enough. The OEM battery is 36.5lbs, the OEM battery tray is 2.5lbs.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:31 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Lee, more info on the exhaust please, that is a fantastic weight saving!!
Is it smog legal?
Will it trip sound meters at sensitive tracks?
Any boost in tq/hp?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:40 PM
DCLee
Pro

NJ-GT:

Yep, it's the Meisterschaft race system made by Eisenmann of Stuttgart. This company is mainly known for its work on BMW and Mercedes exhausts, but my friends in BMW-Land tell me that the quality of their products is very good. I doubt that they will provide dyno sheets. The weight, as stated, is advertised to be 30 lbs. There is a good pic of the GT3 system on the Website of their domestic distributor, Eisenhaus.com

I know zip about this system and would mainly be a guinea pig. I hope to get to the dyno next month but probably won't do before and after pulls. I will mainly be trying to optimize the fuel and timing maps for the RS-spec clutch/flywheel.

Lee in D.C.
Team UltraLite
Old 02-28-2005, 12:49 PM
DCLee
Pro

Guys:

Whoa!!! I'll post more details after I talk to them some more. I assume the system is emissions legal because it has two 200-cell cats (the 100-cell cats are questionable for our cars). I suppose you could fab up some short pipes to decouple the cats for the track, but then you'd throw a code and would have to buy a code-reader to clear the DTCs every time. Just looking at the muffler design and considering the very strict German noise regulations on new race cars, I would think this is a fairly quiet system or at least a heck of a lot less aggressive than the sound you get from running just the muffler-bypass pipes.

They mention a potential 30 h.p. gain which, as all sane people know, is absurd on a n.a. car like this. I dismiss this babbling as TunerTalk. If it makes 5-6 h.p. and saves 50+ lbs. I will be delighted.

Anyone want to jump into my order? (Or, maybe you should wait and see how it works out for me before taking the plunge, whatever... ).

Lee in D.C.
Team UltraLite
Old 02-28-2005, 01:17 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Lee I'm very interested in the Meisterschaft
Meisterschaft
but I have to confess that this one at three times the price has me wondering what the hell is it??
$16K!!
Old 02-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Mikey
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
What I want to know is when and where we are going to line up all these lightweight bad boys and run them on the track? I'll bring my stock porker as a reference.
He he ... Larry this is pretty much my vision for the GT3:

http://gscdownloads.com/leh/sebring/GT3RSatSebring.wmv
Old 02-28-2005, 01:29 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Lee,

Are you ordering the Sport, or Racing ? I'm interested in your results. Keep us posted.

Robin

Quick Reply: GT3 Lightweight Weight Reduction Thread