Sponsored by:

Floating rotors for Gt2-3

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 09:38 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floating rotors for Gt2-3

There has been a lot of brake talk of late with no concrete answers, but this email just came in from Steve @ Rennsport Systems. I am ordering them for all 4 corners, and will report back asap.

Hi Andrew:

I've attached a pic of the racing Alcon we use on all these race cars.

Its a two-piece, full floating setup; 350mmx34mm and is a direct
replacement for the stock or PCCB ones. These are a far better quality
rotor than any OEM offering.

Brembo is going to offer something eventually, but it will be several
months away.
--
Steve Weiner
Rennsport Systems
Portland, Oregon
E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com

For Porsche High-Performance Solutions, Racing Components and
Performance-related Information
Visit Rennsport Systems on the Internet at:
http://www.rennsportsystems.com
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2004, 09:43 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice, what kind of numbers for a set?
Bill
Old 04-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

ARRGH! Steve where were you when I needed you?!! I just converted to GT3 steel rotors and had to buy new rear calipers. At least I got yellow ones so they all match.

I am curious though, the ceramic rotors are 34 mm thick in front and 28 mm thick in the rear. Is there a clearance problem using these rotors with the stock PCCB rear calipers?

Rgds,

Last edited by Bob Rouleau; 04-23-2004 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:00 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So if I understand correctly, these rotors with floating hats do not require replacement of the stock calipers??? How much less do they weigh than the stock rotors per corner for the front and back???

How much???
Old 04-24-2004, 05:13 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Rockitman:

What you see in that picture is a street '04 GT-3 that we are converting into a full fledged Cup car (note the centerlocks we added).

We removed the stock GT-3 caliper and replaced the PCCB rotor with the Alcon rotor/hat that you see. Its a direct replacement. We did not replace the rears as they do not suffer the thermal stresses that the fronts do.

As these are a very high grade of grey cast iron designed and intended for competition, they are not inexpensive. These run $ 1600/pr but the replacement rotors are quite reasonable.

I do not know what they weigh as that was not a consideration here. We wanted THE most rugged, durable and long-lasting rotor that we could find. IMHO, if the "world's lightest brakes" do not hold up or suffer a short lifespan, that is really no bargain and much more expensive in the long run,....

I've used these high-end Alcon full-floaters for many years and my experiences have been very good. They outlast any OEM-grade Brembo 4:1.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Steve,

FWIW on my GT2 all four rotors failed. The fronts were damaged on both the inside and the outside surfaces. The rears were worn but serviceable on the outside but the inside surfaces were shot. I had about 9,000 track miles which seems to be a record. I agree with your statement that the rears suffer less and I was surprised to fined that all 4 needed to be replaced.

I have a question too. The Alcon rotors are slotted. Do they develop the same kind of stress cracks as rotors with cast holes do? It seems to me that they would not and as a result they should last longer. If my speculation is true, why aren't all hi performance rotors slotted?

Best,
Old 04-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had Alcon rotors on a previous Corvette with the PFC 93 pads, i tracked/street drove the car for two years and never had any problems, they are a great rotor, this is really great new.

They will have to make a Alcon replacement rear rotor, this is a MUST,
but at least they are addressing our needs.

The Alcon rotors are lighter due to the center hat being extremely light, there should be some good weight loss compared to the stock iron rotor and i do not think they will weigh much more then the PCCB.

When we wear out the Alcon rotors (Not Break Them) we would only have to change the rotor and obviously not the hat which will bring down the price on replacement when that time comes.

There is no better feeling than having confidence in your brakes.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is that $1600 per rotor or for the pair?
Old 04-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Z06
Is that $1600 per rotor or for the pair?
I think Steve said $1600/pr.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:54 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Rockitman:

What you see in that picture is a street '04 GT-3 that we are converting into a full fledged Cup car (note the centerlocks we added).

This wouldn't happen to be the GT3 that they guy was parting out on here late last year would it? I'd be curious to know what sorts of things you are doing to the car and the logic behind doing it to a street car... I'm guessing he wants it to be street legal too?
Old 04-24-2004, 03:02 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by bob_dallas
I'd be curious to know what sorts of things you are doing to the car and the logic behind doing it to a street car... I'm guessing he wants it to be street legal too?
A street legal cup car...he he

Very creative approach to beating the system...
Old 04-24-2004, 03:39 PM
RL Technical Advisor

OK,...here we go,....

Bob:

I'm sorry to hear that all four of your rotors failed. My experience with the Cup cars is that the rears outlast the fronts 3:1. There is no question that slotted rotors are FAR more durable than drilled (cast holes) ones and this is why you very rarely see drilled ones in professional-level racing anymore. They are all slotted.

ZO6:

You are right on,...... Now, given that Alcon does not make brand specific RACING rotors, its doubtful they will make a GT-3 rear rotor that incorporates the E-brake drum. Most race cars use full floating rear rotors without the E-brake to save weight. For those folks wishing to retain the E-brake, OEM will likely have to suffice. Its $ 1600 per pair for the front, but thats a one-time-only buy in, since you already have the billet, anodized hats and all you would need at replacement time is the rotor itself.

Bob D:

Indeed, that is the same car. The gentleman who owns it wished a street-legal race car for those rare opportunities to drive it on the road and he was willing to spend the $$$$ to convert a street car into a full fledged Cup car.

It has center-locks, Moton double-adjustables with our spring package, 6 racing gear ratios, a different LSD, a Matter-type cage, and all the accutrements of a race car; fuel cell, race exhaust, Factory Cup seat, Schroth harnesses, window clips, etc. For now, the motor is untouched and we'll evaluate that after its first race next weekend.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:54 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
OK,...here we go,....

It has center-locks, Moton double-adjustables with our spring package, 6 racing gear ratios, a different LSD, a Matter-type cage, and all the accutrements of a race car; fuel cell, race exhaust, Factory Cup seat, Schroth harnesses, window clips, etc. For now, the motor is untouched and we'll evaluate that after its first race next weekend.
Damn - that's just what I needed to hear...someone doing some of the things I had considered but talked myself out of - I've no desire to completely gut my interior but new springs, double adjustables, and the new gear ratios were definitely on my list...would love to see some pictures and stats on the car when you get a chance.

BTW Steve - it's good to see you over here on this board too. I've taken a lot of your sound advice from other boards but mistakenly assumed you specialized more in the older or at least air-cooled generation...
Old 04-24-2004, 04:01 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Bob:

LOL,.....You can well imagine how we felt when we stripped a brand new white GT-3,....

IMHO, the only things a street GT-3 needs to be really perfect are Moton Clubsports and 5 new gear ratios,...I'd leave first gear alone. We did find that surprisingly, Porsche used a non-removable 2nd gear (just like older 993's) so we had to replace the mainshaft to install a proper close-ratio gearset.

LOL,.....Indeed, I do read this board as much as possible as we do a lot of Cup cars,...

I'll shoot some pics this weekend for you.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:14 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

How much better would the Moton Clubsport suspension be than the '02 Gt2 set up. I am curious as to the improvement with the '04 version. Can you just replace a limited number of parts to convert the '02 to '04 performance levels? It seems like they learned a lot about dampening from the development of the GT3.

Quick Reply: Floating rotors for Gt2-3