Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 GT3 vs 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 04:36 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Current owner of a speed yellow 6-3 and have driven my fair share of 991 GT3s. There isn't a wrong answer here and it all comes down to the importance you place on driver engagement (i.e. fun to drive) vs. looks vs. speed vs. price. Here are my recommendations based on which 2 you prioritize most:
  • Driver engagement and price: 996 GT3. Hands down. Every ride I take with the 6-3 is a memorable event. With the steering wheel twitching in your hand, having to row your own gears, and the knowledge that you are the only thing keeping the back end from spinning around, I find myself having to engage 100% of my brain. The 991 gt3 is a comparatively relaxed experience and only dials up in engagement as you push it to the limit--but even then it's much less butt clenching than the 6-3 (for better or worse). The only edge the 991 GT3 has on the 6-3 from an engagement perspective is the engine note. IMO it's only second to the Lexus LFA when it comes to best sounding cars of all time. From my understanding, the 997.1 GT3 RS is a very similar driving experience to a well set up 6-3. Only reason to upgrade imo is if you think the looks are worth the 2-3x premium (which is completely valid). If you are going to pay more because you want to go faster on the track, should go with 991 gt3.
  • Driver engagement and looks: 997.1 GT3 RS. I think the 997.1 GT3 RS will go down as the most beautiful modern Porsche of all time. Still has the raw analog feel of the 6-3, just dialed up another notch in the performance area from what I hear (haven't driven one yet). In pumpkin or green it will be worth huge $$$ in the near future (and will certainly hold its value better than the 991 GT3s of any spec given the rarity)
  • Speed and looks: 991.1 GT3. It's a modern supercar and didn't feel that far off from the McLaren that I drove that same day. I also think the 991.1 GT3 is a great looking car, better in fact that then 991.2 GT3 or GT3 RS which look a bit too busy or bloated to me
Old 04-13-2020, 05:12 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewK996
Current owner of a speed yellow 6-3 and have driven my fair share of 991 GT3s. There isn't a wrong answer here and it all comes down to the importance you place on driver engagement (i.e. fun to drive) vs. looks vs. speed vs. price. Here are my recommendations based on which 2 you prioritize most:
  • Driver engagement and price: 996 GT3. Hands down. Every ride I take with the 6-3 is a memorable event. With the steering wheel twitching in your hand, having to row your own gears, and the knowledge that you are the only thing keeping the back end from spinning around, I find myself having to engage 100% of my brain. The 991 gt3 is a comparatively relaxed experience and only dials up in engagement as you push it to the limit--but even then it's much less butt clenching than the 6-3 (for better or worse). The only edge the 991 GT3 has on the 6-3 from an engagement perspective is the engine note. IMO it's only second to the Lexus LFA when it comes to best sounding cars of all time. From my understanding, the 997.1 GT3 RS is a very similar driving experience to a well set up 6-3. Only reason to upgrade imo is if you think the looks are worth the 2-3x premium (which is completely valid). If you are going to pay more because you want to go faster on the track, should go with 991 gt3.
  • Driver engagement and looks: 997.1 GT3 RS. I think the 997.1 GT3 RS will go down as the most beautiful modern Porsche of all time. Still has the raw analog feel of the 6-3, just dialed up another notch in the performance area from what I hear (haven't driven one yet). In pumpkin or green it will be worth huge $$$ in the near future (and will certainly hold its value better than the 991 GT3s of any spec given the rarity)
  • Speed and looks: 991.1 GT3. It's a modern supercar and didn't feel that far off from the McLaren that I drove that same day. I also think the 991.1 GT3 is a great looking car, better in fact that then 991.2 GT3 or GT3 RS which look a bit too busy or bloated to me

This is spot on. I also think the 7.1rs is the high water mark from a pure aesthetic perspective. I just find the 7.1's very, very balanced and pretty, and believe they will age very well over time. Sure, the new cars look more "modern" but from a pure looks perspective, I love the 7.1's. But, there is a reason I have a 6-3...the performance is basically on par with just a few strategic upgrades on the 6 and some weight reduction. This made the 6-3 the clear winner (for me at least, and I loved my 7.1), form a value proposition. Then you add in the rarity and the cult following by peopled who know cars, and its just a really rewarding car to own.

And, I know this is very controversial, but I would be remiss if I did not at least mention the reliability/future market value issue with the 991. From my research, the jury is still out on the durability of the 991.1 gt3 and its hydraulic finger follower wear issue. Sure, the 10 year warranty is nice, but what is life going to be like for owners in 2024 (with the 10-year Porsche extended warranty about to run out). You may not be able to give those cars away at that point, even if the hysteria/stigma/fear is not logically justified. The problem is going to be perception, and I can tell you if I had a 991 after 2022, I'd be thinking about unloading just due to concerns about long-term durability and resale. That is what is so nice about the 6-3 and 7.1-3. Just so dang proven, durable, easy to work on, and generally problem free. Heck, my engine block had a 964 number!
Old 04-13-2020, 10:53 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Thank you all for your comments and valued input. I’ve narrowed it to either keeping the 6-3 or going with the 997.1 RS. Honestly my heart strings are being pulled to the RS. Yes it’s another $45-$60k or so. I’d really like just one car, so the RS will work, given I can sell the Spyder (on the market now at Auto Kennel) and sell the 6-3 and break even, or keep the 6-3 and put money in my pocket. You only live once though so the RS is in my sights.

if you only had one, which would you choose? I’m guessing most here would say 6-3 and most on the 997 board would say RS.

Thanks again for all the effort put in to these well thought through responses. Rennlist and Rennlisters Rock!!!
Old 04-13-2020, 11:19 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

RS for certain! I dont think many here would say to keep the 9-6 if money was no object. The RS is just a collector's version of the 9-6 with a better interior IMO.

Originally Posted by christallon
Thank you all for your comments and valued input. I’ve narrowed it to either keeping the 6-3 or going with the 997.1 RS. Honestly my heart strings are being pulled to the RS. Yes it’s another $45-$60k or so. I’d really like just one car, so the RS will work, given I can sell the Spyder (on the market now at Auto Kennel) and sell the 6-3 and break even, or keep the 6-3 and put money in my pocket. You only live once though so the RS is in my sights.

if you only had one, which would you choose? I’m guessing most here would say 6-3 and most on the 997 board would say RS.

Thanks again for all the effort put in to these well thought through responses. Rennlist and Rennlisters Rock!!!
Old 04-14-2020, 01:19 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

I agree. If cost is not considered I too would be in an rs!
Old 04-14-2020, 02:43 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

As others have said there is far less (than people would think) between the 996 and 7.1 RS from a performance perspective. You won't be giving anything up by going this route other than the money to cover the price delta. In return you're gaining beauty (looks are subjective, I personally LOVE the narrow body 996 and tear drop headlights), but biggest of all, the two letters on the decklid.

Great problem to have!
Old 04-14-2020, 05:43 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Given what you have said, I'd go with the RS. You will never regret it and now is a good time to buy given that the market is a bit soft. Can't say I'm not jealous! Just make sure you post pics if you do get it
Old 04-14-2020, 06:32 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Yup, sounds like you have made your decision. Can't go wrong with an RS. My only advice would be that you really should hold out for the right color and not "settle." Even before the pandemic you could find clean, "moderate" mileage (30k-50k mile) pumpkins in the 125k ish range (I like the orange ones best, followed by white and then green and the cool but rare silver/orange combo). With current economic conditions you might be able to find a killer deal! As you know, they are pretty bullet proof, so as long as maintained and clean I wouldn't worry about miles too much! Let us know what you get...gonna live vicariously through you during your search!
Old 04-14-2020, 09:06 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

I’ve got a deposit on a Pumpkin. I need to sell one if not both my cars to get it, but the seller is cool holding on for a month, which buys me some time. The Spyder is for sale here https://autokennel.com/2011-porsche-...-spyder-987-2/ and the GT3 May go back to the previous owner.

This particular 08 Pumpkin is well built, Joey Seely did the suspension build (he does all Jeff Zwarts cars for Pikes), the car is sorted. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I dig it. It’s a proper built car. Sadly it’s got the wart, but whateves. Mileage is in the mid 40’s and the car has been properly enjoyed. 4.0 single mass flywheel, Brembo Rotors for the PCCB calipers are unreal. CMG cage in orange, Recaros which are incredible too. Welded coolant lines, a little sharkworks tune, etc etc. We shall see👍 Thanks again for all the Love on this forum. You guys are true petrolheads😀
Old 04-15-2020, 03:01 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Sounds awesome, congratulations! Look forward to seeing pics when you get it.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:40 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 52 Posts

This particular 08 Pumpkin is well built, Joey Seely did the suspension build (he does all Jeff Zwarts cars for Pikes), the car is sorted. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I dig it. It’s a proper built car. Sadly it’s got the wart, but whateves. Mileage is in the mid 40’s and the car has been properly enjoyed. 4.0 single mass flywheel, Brembo Rotors for the PCCB calipers are unreal. CMG cage in orange, Recaros which are incredible too. Welded coolant lines, a little sharkworks tune, etc etc. We shall see👍 Thanks again for all the Love on this forum. You guys are true petrolheads😀
Ah, FRSHSQZ! I know of that car, even all the way over here in the UK! Amazing spec, great updates, fantastic choice!

Old 04-15-2020, 11:54 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, yup FRSHSQZ. It’s a very focused machine that’s been well enjoyed and maintained Still a few hurdles to cross yet though. Fingers crossed👍

If if anyone is looking for a well sorted 6-3 in white, please let me know. It’ll be priced right, low $60’s. Just getting it cleaned up after having been in storage. Took it out yesterday for a quick blast up Angelus Crest. It’s still got it 👍 Cheers all
Old 04-15-2020, 12:44 PM
black04
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Again, depends on the use I guess. I would agree that "not fun on the street" would probably be accurate if one were looking for a daily. But if its just a fun "weekend" car, isn't raw, loud, and harsh part of the appeal? I find my 6-3 super fun on the street (but I'm not driving it close to every day!). The novelty of the "race car for the street" thing does not wear off fast if you don't get it out that often.
I would say fun on the street, if that street is a mountain road.
Not so fun on the street on the way to the mountains...but then there is the anticipation...
Old 04-15-2020, 01:40 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

If anyone is looking for a 996gt3, I can tell you white ones don't pop up often (especially not in the low 60's!). Speak now or forever hold your peace! GLWS OP!
Old 04-15-2020, 02:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

if you only had one, which would you choose? !
My answer below.
Enjoy the new car!

The following users liked this post:
4porsh (04-15-2020)

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 vs 991.1 GT3