Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 07:26 PM
03GT2-Jonathan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3-RS worth almost 100K more than GT3

Opinions please. Thanks

There's one in florida going for $200K

What exactly is different besides body pieces. Suspension, engine, brakes etc?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:46 PM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

Originally posted by 03GT2-Jonathan
What exactly is different besides body pieces. Suspension, engine, brakes etc?
The badge. You pay for the exclusivity of owning a 911 with "RS" on it. Other than that the RS is lighter, better looking, faster and handles better than the GT3.

My view has been endorsed by British car magazines, EVO and Autocar, who to date are the only UK mags to have tested the RS.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:00 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The differences between the car unless you can drive like Michael Schumacher are negligible at best...Not worth the additional 90K unless it's for collector reasons. Suspension is a little different, different hood(CF), spoiler(CF can be bought for $4200) and cf side view mirror's, single mass flywheel, more responsive throttle response times, but much noisier, not needed for street and moderate tracking, and the perfomance advantage, once again, is an issue as to whether that you are that good of a driver that you could use those performance enhancements to your advantage...arguable at best...so other than exclusivity, I don't see the 90K as a worthwhile expenditure...ohh yeah, air box is a little different, motor and tranny the same...plus no US warranty, it would have to be imported euro car if it's available in the us, since they were not cleared by US DOT crash testing and are not sold by PNA....
Old 12-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Even for collector purpose's I don't see it as being worth 90 more. And my wife claims my car buying philosophy is buy high and sell low. That car is not double the car for almost double the money.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:22 PM
jim911
Racer

Default buy hi sell low

She knows you well!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:34 PM
One and Machine
3rd Gear

It isn't worth it. Modifications alone net the differences with less than a 1/4 of the markup.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:57 AM
goplay
Instructor

I can't believe someone would want to pay that much for a car that is essentially a compromise on both the street and the track. For 200K you can just about get a GT-3 Street AND a used GT-3 Cup car. Now you have fewer street compromises and a real GT track car.

Charles
Old 12-04-2003, 12:33 PM
sjsharks
Racer

You could make the same argument for the GT2.

Porsche has done a magnificant job of concealing the $90,000 difference in performance.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

"Suspension is a little different"

rockit this isnt correct, here's a report from the UK GT3 thread:

"Report number 1 on my RS

At the moment we looking at the suspension. It is totally different to the standard GT3. The Hubs, wisbones, pick up points and cradles are straight off the Lemans 24hr (and American lemans) racing car. They are fitted to the RS so that it can be homologated and therefore the RSR's in the FIA GT series can run the suspension. The good news is that it's 100% competition orientated and far better than the cup suspension, the bad news is it will cost thousands to upgrade a standard GT3 to RS suspension spec and that's if the mounting points are the same which it don't look like they are. The cost of the suspension bits alone could be more the the difference in price between the two cars.

I shall give more details when I get them but straight away it's clear that this car is the real deal. From the suspension, it's obvious that it is radical and there are bound to be lots more interesting bits. More time will be spent analyzing the suspension before we move onto the chassis and running gear. If anyone is thinking about getting one, do it now before journo man finds out what's under it's skin. "

add the suspension to what 20K in body parts from gert... certainly the car is worth its euro price about $127 US

"You could make the same argument for the GT2.

Porsche has done a magnificant job of concealing the $90,000 difference in performance."

sharks: have you driven both GT2 and 3 extensively? i agree 90 is too extreme but a GT2 is certainly worth 50 more and are readily available in that range. with the suspension improvements in the 04 GT2, i said yesterday i believe that car might be worth 15 under or say 170 vs a gt3... and to a really skilled driver, maybe even window

Old 12-04-2003, 11:00 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Watt: I see you've changed your thinking re the 04 GT2. I remember when you blasted the car - carbon fiber mirrors and all.

I wonder if the 04 suspension improvements are adaptable to the earlier cars - anyone checked on this?
Old 12-05-2003, 12:22 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, Watt I stand corrected on the suspension differences...The comfort ride is not too shabby, IMHO...For everyday road use I don't think the RS suspension is worth the price of admission for you would need to be driving the car in a felonious way on the street in order to realize the full potential...
Old 12-05-2003, 01:12 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Watt, so is your opinion that the Florida RS if cleared of US DOT problems is worth 200? Also isn't the 04 GT2 base price start at 190?
Old 12-05-2003, 04:15 AM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

Originally posted by watt
"Suspension is a little different"

rockit this isnt correct, here's a report from the UK GT3 thread:

cheers:
Watt is right. The RS is radically different. Whether it is worth double a GT3 is another story. Its all down to supply and demand.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:16 AM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Originally posted by rockitman
Wow, Watt I stand corrected on the suspension differences...The comfort ride is not too shabby, IMHO...For everyday road use I don't think the RS suspension is worth the price of admission for you would need to be driving the car in a felonious way on the street in order to realize the full potential...
Having completed just over 1000 Miles in my RS I have to disagree with the above statement. Sorry.

Even at moderate road speeds the handling is much, much better than the standard GT3. I would even say that the ride is more compliant and comfortable.

IMO it is worth the £15K over the GT3 but then I would say that wouldn't I...

As for the $200K for the US car I think someone is taking the preverbial.

Maybe living in the UK does have its advantages after all, well if you discount the weather.

And the tax's.

And the Speed Camera's

And Coronation Street.

And......

P.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:41 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I strongly agree Mr. RS, on your situation over there - I'd take the RS in a second if it was offered over here. I'm not interested in touching a 200K car that will require some special approval and may not be able to touch the streets for a few years. One could buy a white GT3 and build their own for cheaper and still have some of it warrantied by Porsche (like the engine for instance). I'll definitely check out the suspension pieces though. I'm pretty confident they can be fitted to the car although it might be cost-prohibitive to replace everything.

Originally posted by rockitman
Rockit - don't forget, not everyone bought their GT3 for everyday road use. In addition to the road benefits Mr. RS and others are experiencing, I'd imagine this new suspension would be very noticable on the track as well.

Quick Reply: GT3-RS worth almost 100K more than GT3