996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Speakers and an amp in a cab

Old 07-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speakers and an amp in a cab

Started my stereo install this weekend alongside my caliper job. Previous owner put in a pioneer single DIN and it works just fine but the stock speakers and amp don't work so well with the top down and cruising at highway speeds.

amp: alpine 5 channel PDR-V75
dash speakers: hertz esk100 4"
door speakers: hertz hsk 130 5 1/4" woofers
rears speakers: hertz dcx 100 (had to use the dcx line for the rears because the esk is too deep according to the diagrams)

here is my start. More to come later

Cut up the stock speakers to use the basket for the mount. There is a full diy out there. Note: you have to cut the stock connector off the basket as the hertz speaker does not fit with that part, others may)
Cut the tabs off the hertz speakers at the location shown and they will fit snug in the hacked up basket
Hertz dsk 100 with tabs cut off
Crazy glue the cut tabs into the plastic basket, wait overnight and mount.
Stock cd changer and amp removed from frunk
Board to mount the amp using the stock bolt holes for the cd changer.

Last edited by Dion Houng-Lee; 07-09-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:02 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking forward to see how this progresses. My Alpine amp is mounted to the spare tire cover by the PO (C4 cab). Works out well and drives the 10" Alpine sub like a boss. Am planning a DIY post this summer when I build custom fiberglass enclosure to fit in the back seat behind the driver. Looking forward to your posts.

Cheers,
D.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:31 AM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

worked on running some wires and installed one door speaker. The hertz Hsk130 woofer has a large magnet and hit the bottom of the enclosure, raising the mounts every so slightly and maybe 1/8". You will have to trim the fins inside the enclosure for the magnet to fit but I came up with a good idea to take up the 1/8" rather than a crap load of calk.

i am dynamating my doors and have a lot so I cut a piece to fit the opening using the grill as a template for the outside and reusing a rubber gasket from the original speaker. Worked like a champ and sealed the speaker right in. This is a great option for others rather than using calk/ sealant as you can take the speaker out easily. The rubbery dynamat stuff moulds to the speaker and made a tight seal

Two tabs broke during shipping as I bought from fellow rennlister. We had a good settlement and I used aluminum putty weld to fix it. Worked well.
All done
Running some wires thru to battery compartment and then driver side. Not tied up yet but you can see the grommets I used (battery is removed)
Old 07-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

all done and I am very pleased with the results. The sound is like night and day. The door 5 1/4 don't push like a 8"+ but they sound perfect and put out a lot of bass for such a small driver.

Stuffed the enclosures for punchy bass
Used 1" posts to push amp rack out for wire clearance. Used 2" HD bolts and used oem holes for cdchanger and amp
Buttoned up
Wiring
Old 07-09-2017, 08:45 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Nice work!

I really need to replace my wimpy amp with something better like this... I've got basically the same speaker setup as you, just not enough power to make it sound good.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Looks great! My recent stereo upgrade is like night and day compared to what it had before! I'm really pleased with my results also.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

The alpine PDR works perfect. I debated if I needed to go to the PDX but I think the 500w for the doors would be over kill since the hertz 5 1/4" can handle only 140 w each.

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Nice work!

I really need to replace my wimpy amp with something better like this... I've got basically the same speaker setup as you, just not enough power to make it sound good.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Debo18D
Looking forward to see how this progresses. My Alpine amp is mounted to the spare tire cover by the PO (C4 cab). Works out well and drives the 10" Alpine sub like a boss. Am planning a DIY post this summer when I build custom fiberglass enclosure to fit in the back seat behind the driver. Looking forward to your posts.

Cheers,
D.
Do you have a Cab or Coupe? I asked because if you have a Cab, I'm curious at to where you are putting the sub.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

<------------ I have a cab. Currently it sits in a subwoofer enclosure that fits in the backseat behind the driver. I am building a new enclosure to be more of a custom fit, easier to get in and out of the car when I DO have a passenger back there, and allow the backrest of the back seat to lay all the way down.

D.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Debo18D
<------------ I have a cab. Currently it sits in a subwoofer enclosure that fits in the backseat behind the driver. I am building a new enclosure to be more of a custom fit, easier to get in and out of the car when I DO have a passenger back there, and allow the backrest of the back seat to lay all the way down.

D.
Ahh, makes sense. The problem I'm having is that my 13" JL TW5 Slim won't fit when I take my kids in the car. It's easy to remove, though, but then again, my kids like to play music in the car.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:12 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Dion Houng-Lee
The alpine PDR works perfect. I debated if I needed to go to the PDX but I think the 500w for the doors would be over kill since the hertz 5 1/4" can handle only 140 w each.
Cool, thanks. Did you wire both door speakers to the 5th channel sub output?
Old 07-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

Yes wired doors up to the 5th channel. The doors are true woofers and not full range speakers and 4ohm. I wired them and the amp sees 2ohm.

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Cool, thanks. Did you wire both door speakers to the 5th channel sub output?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:37 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I have the factory Hi Fi option. Would those door speakers be a direct replacement? I know they have to be physically trimmed to fit.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

The factory speakers are 2ohm load so you need to change the amp to use these. There are a couple of 2ohm options out there in 5 1/4" size but to get more punch you need an amp first.

Originally Posted by wyovino
I have the factory Hi Fi option. Would those door speakers be a direct replacement? I know they have to be physically trimmed to fit.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:53 AM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

Another tip for people putting in 5/1" door woofers, leave the OEM protective cover off. At high volumes it hit this plastic cover and vibrates like a motha. I took it off and sounds way better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speakers and an amp in a cab