Sponsored by:

Rear Power Windows in a Cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts
Default Rear Power Windows in a Cab

My 1999 C2 Cab passenger rear quarter window won't go up. I tried swapping the switches for the easy fix. I understand that there are no relays for the power windows, and the fact that all other windows and even the top goes up and down without an issue leads me to believe it wouldn't be the switches or relays. And there's no noise at all on that window, so I'm guessing the window isn't off track and he regulator is fine.

I guess I'll have to tear into it to see if I'm getting power to the motor and if there's a micro switch in there somewhere. If there was a relay, I'd check that first, but again, I don't think there is one. And I cannot imagine a fuse that individual to that window.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:39 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

my WAG is the regulator is kaput (even if you are not hearing any noises)
Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Even with the inside panel removed, there is virtually zero access to the regular or motor or window. It appears as though I will have to remove the components for the convertible top?
The following users liked this post:
TexGator911 (05-15-2021)
Old 06-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I'm following these articles that pertain:

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/41648-how-to-remove-rear-window-regulator-996-cab/

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/41648-how-to-remove-rear-window-regulator-996-cab/

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/5453-interior-rear-side-door-panel-removal/

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-996-997-991-forum/791206-997-cab-rear-window-regulator.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Murphy:
professorman (08-20-2019), TexGator911 (05-15-2021)
Old 06-11-2017, 04:20 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC there's a switch in there someplace that prevents the rear windows from operating when the top is down. Any chance this switch is toast (or stuck closed)?
Old 06-11-2017, 06:50 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KoB
IIRC there's a switch in there someplace that prevents the rear windows from operating when the top is down. Any chance this switch is toast (or stuck closed)?
That switch is located at the top of the windscreen near the latch and is a global micro switch for the rear windows. Since the top still operates and the other rear windows operates, I assumed it's working fine
Old 06-11-2017, 06:51 PM
thechileman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my rear regulator, you don't have to remove any convertible top components. You loosen them, and flex them a bit to create the room to get the regulator out. I googled it, and found instructions. (Pelican parts had some instructions on it I think?) A fairly easy job. It took me about 2 hours total to remove and replace. And a new Regulator is EXPENSIVE!!! The only part that was tricky was removing the bottom regulator bolt. You have to remove the back seat bottom, and use an extension to get to the bolt through to hole the wiring runs through...
Old 06-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Well, I call around a few places, and the labor plus the part is looking to be VERY expensive. Basically, the cost is ranging from $1,000 - $2,000 ($800 - $1000 for the part, and then another $500+$500 for labor of diagnosis, removal + re-installation).

thechileman - did you have your regulator rebuilt, or did you buck up and buy a new part? The newest part number I can find is: 99654301606

Seems silly to spend so much on a new part, especially if it's just 2 hours, but shops around here are not giving me a quote range with accuracy, so if the labor really is more like 3-6 hours, then I can understand why a new part should go in there (places here warranty the parts and labor, so they don't want to have to get back in there again).
Old 06-14-2017, 02:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thechileman
I replaced my rear regulator, you don't have to remove any convertible top components. You loosen them, and flex them a bit to create the room to get the regulator out. I googled it, and found instructions. (Pelican parts had some instructions on it I think?) A fairly easy job. It took me about 2 hours total to remove and replace. And a new Regulator is EXPENSIVE!!! The only part that was tricky was removing the bottom regulator bolt. You have to remove the back seat bottom, and use an extension to get to the bolt through to hole the wiring runs through...
Thank you sir. I plan to try your method. One question, though: do I really need to put my top in service mode? My thinking is that if I fail to do the job and then cannot get the top open or closed for some reason, then I'll have to flatbed the car (in good weather) to a shop. Which is different than just leaving the top fully closed and having trouble.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 PM
thechileman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the work with the top half way up. As far as I could tell, there is no way for the window regulator to mess up the function of the top. Also, the cheapest place I found to buy the regulator was Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas.... They have a website.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:07 PM
GaCoast
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window regulator

I got my rear window regulator for under 650.00 from local P dealer. Jax,Fl
Old 06-17-2017, 08:25 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

[QUOTE=murphyslaw1978;14248402]My 1999 C2 Cab passenger rear quarter window won't go up. I tried swapping the switches for the easy fix. I understand that there are no relays for the power windows, and the fact that all other windows and even the top goes up and down without an issue leads me to believe it wouldn't be the switches or relays. And there's no noise at all on that window, so I'm guessing the window isn't off track and he regulator is fine.

Are you sure you aren't releasing the top closure button to soon? The rear windows go up after the top is fully closed, not during top closing, if you release button to soon they don't move.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Byprodriver;14262358]
Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
My 1999 C2 Cab passenger rear quarter window won't go up. I tried swapping the switches for the easy fix. I understand that there are no relays for the power windows, and the fact that all other windows and even the top goes up and down without an issue leads me to believe it wouldn't be the switches or relays. And there's no noise at all on that window, so I'm guessing the window isn't off track and he regulator is fine.

Are you sure you aren't releasing the top closure button to soon? The rear windows go up after the top is fully closed, not during top closing, if you release button to soon they don't move.
Yes, good point. But the other window works fine.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:36 PM
GaCoast
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you pull the inner weatherstrip off you'll be able to reach the window. then try to lift it slightly from the rear. If it moves more than 1/2 inch the regulator is probably toast. They mostly suffer from the cable pulley breaking than the motor going bad.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Argh! I just received delivery of my rebuilt regulator, and they said they tested and rebuilt all components except the electronics. Well, the regulator STILL doesn't work, and the only thing left seems like the electronics. I called maybe half a dozen or a dozen places and nobody has just the electronics part laying around. Even most of the parts cars are coupes...

Anyone have any thoughts on how to proceed? I'm still waiting for a call back from Power Window Regulator, since they verbally told me that they will "make it right" if it's indeed the electronics.

Quick Reply: Rear Power Windows in a Cab