996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rear Power Windows in a Cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:49 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a pair of rebuilt rear window regulators that came out of my 2000 C2 cab I'd sell. I know for a fact the electronics worked on them as they tried to make my windows go up and down. Problem was cable/pulley related.

I'll never forget that DIY job. I changed them out overnight in my garage while there was a hurricane warning a few years ago. 50-60mph winds going on outside and I was in the garage in the middle of the night, drinking Stellas, sweating like a madman, and working on a convertible! LOL!

I was hoping to sell them as a pair for $700 and haven't gotten around to it.
Ping me via PM with a fair offer for one or both if you're interested.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by jaetee
I have a pair of rebuilt rear window regulators that came out of my 2000 C2 cab I'd sell. I know for a fact the electronics worked on them as they tried to make my windows go up and down. Problem was cable/pulley related.

I'll never forget that DIY job. I changed them out overnight in my garage while there was a hurricane warning a few years ago. 50-60mph winds going on outside and I was in the garage in the middle of the night, drinking Stellas, sweating like a madman, and working on a convertible! LOL!

I was hoping to sell them as a pair for $700 and haven't gotten around to it.
Ping me via PM with a fair offer for one or both if you're interested.
Thanks. Yeah, this job isn't the most fun DIY. Kind of a pain. But it turns out that the Power Window Regulator company I used has a really good tech that also owns a 996 (coupe, smart man) and does quite a few of these Porsche per week. He walked me through the wiring and tests and is sending me a motor/electronics assembly for cheap because of this issue. He said that he's only seen 1 electronics piece fail in as long as he's done these. If it's not the electronics, then I'll have to test the wiring harness (I pray that isn't the issue).

Wow, working on your car through a hurricane is a hard core enthusiast trait I admire and respect good sir.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:54 PM
jimpauli
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Five years ago, I replaced the rear passenger regulator in my 2000 Cab 4. While not easy, by following everyone's advice on this forum I removed the old one and installed the new. The same regulator went bad this summer.

Last Monday I took the current regulator out - no problem. Saturday, when I went to install the new regulator, I could not find the wire with the 6 pin connector. I looked where it should be, I looked up the tunnel through the rocker panel. To see straight down the tunnel, I removed the drain behind the rear wheel liner. I used a snake with a light on the end of it to look up the tunnel. Could not find it. There is a wiring conduit just inside the cabin running along the sill, but, it did not look like this wire originated from that part of the wiring harness.

Questions: Where might the wire have gone or should be?, If it is up the tunnel, how might I get it out? Are there any diagrams that show how this part of the wiring harness is laid out? Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Jim
Old 03-04-2021, 05:07 PM
rgd
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it easy to disconnect the power wire to the window regulator? I think I see the power wire in your picture. All I want to do is disconnect the power to the right rear window regulator by taking apart as little as necessary. I am able to manually lift and lower the window by pulling and pushing it by hand and I am OK with that. If the power wire stays connected, the regulator runs on and off if I have the top down. I know I am about 3 to 4 years late to this post, but maybe you will find this reply.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:28 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by rgd
Is it easy to disconnect the power wire to the window regulator? I think I see the power wire in your picture. All I want to do is disconnect the power to the right rear window regulator by taking apart as little as necessary. I am able to manually lift and lower the window by pulling and pushing it by hand and I am OK with that. If the power wire stays connected, the regulator runs on and off if I have the top down. I know I am about 3 to 4 years late to this post, but maybe you will find this reply.
it is not easy, then only way is to pull the whole regulator to the point the harness wont stretch anymore and the connector is at the bottom.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:40 PM
Hazmat1071
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
it is not easy, then only way is to pull the whole regulator to the point the harness wont stretch anymore and the connector is at the bottom.
Window reinstalled using eBay replacement parts for $60. Took all weekend but the savings were worth it.

Last edited by Hazmat1071; 07-06-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Power Windows in a Cab