Sponsored by:

Another 996 on BAT rebuilt but with engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:24 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Basically it's on the high end for 40AE prices best I can tell.
Que? Average condition is $30k. What's the value of a 1 of a kind 400hp 40th AE car?
Old 03-15-2017, 06:51 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Que? Average condition is $30k. What's the value of a 1 of a kind 400hp 40th AE car?
Hmmm... Thought they were in the 28-30 range with some rare 32s.

Remember that this car also has 0 value from a collector perspective since the motor is no longer factory and can never be returned to the factory state. So the 40AE badge is a neat talking point on this car, but carries no value compared to other unmolested 40AEs. Additionally at 101k that is past the taboo milage which brings it's value down. Without Jake's motor in it I expect it's a $25k car at best (probably lower with as little as the seller did to prep and clean the car).
Old 03-15-2017, 07:28 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! $19,750!

I bet the seller is pretty happy with that number.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:32 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Higher mileage ones trade for high 20's. Sub 50k seems to go for the mid 30's.

When I started shopping for one there were 7 on Autotrader across the country, now there are 3. There's just not a lot out there. Still surprised by what this one fetched.

With 100k on the clock, for now we don't have to worry about collectibility.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

I think he'll have under 30k in it including shipping, fees and repairs. It's a heck of a lot of car for the money.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:10 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Slakker
I think he'll have under 30k in it including shipping, fees and repairs. It's a heck of a lot of car for the money.
That's the bet and I really hope he takes Jake up on fixing it. I also really hope we get to hear the outcome for this car.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:01 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Sold on 3/15/17 for $19,750 to KrazyK.

Figures.
Does this mean we'll soon be privileged to enjoy some new DIY threads on how to maintain a Raby 3.8L 40th AE?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:08 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Oh man, if it really was KK and he opened that motor... Well I'd just be glad that I don't live between GA and TX...

I would also like to believe that KK isn't arrogant enough to think he can improve Jake's work, though it is KK we are talking about...
Old 03-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Oh man, if it really was KK and he opened that motor... Well I'd just be glad that I don't live between GA and TX...

I would also like to believe that KK isn't arrogant enough to think he can improve Jake's work, though it is KK we are talking about...
Does anybody really live between GA and TX?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Adding 2 pennies here so take it for what its worth.......my 997S has 106K on it with a Raby 4.0 in it that has 15K miles. The engine seems more seasoned every time I drive it and I drive it every day. The power and torque his motors have is a game changer. Just yesterday on my way to work, I have a tight right hander then left with a straight going uphill straight .....I caught air coming out of the turn! I really don't see me ever selling this car. And if I wreck it, the motor will be pulled to go into something else. The guy on BaT got a very good deal! The sale of that car just just confirms the move I made.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:36 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

After seeing how that thread went, and what the car brought it, confirms that I need to take some of the broken 996s that the local dealer that we work with has, and fit our engines to them so they can sell them on BAT.

BUT then reality hits and I realize that would be a disaster, because I'd be married to it, and they'd sell it to some guy that more than likely could not be pleased.

Now, I am 90% confident that I know what has happened to the engine in that BAT auction. More than likely an AOS, a set of injectors, and a ton of fuel system cleaner coupled to a very hard dyno session would fix it.

BUT, I do fear that it ran too long with the old, weak AOS, and it ran rich enough to have glazed the cylinders, or killed the rings, or the pistons. The guy that sold the car has been fighting this for a while, and I talked to him a few times. I don't believe that he did anything that I recommended, though.

No, I never did bid on the car. I realized that if I did get the car that I'd fix it, and then I'd have to sell it. The thought of having to deal with the repercussions of that make me cringe.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread "Jake better get that car back, so someone doesn't open it up and find a problem". What? Its only been 7 years, and 2-3 owners since I saw the car, and my engine was fitted. The best engine on the planet can be killed by dumping oil into the cylinders, and mixing that with fuel. From a performance perspective we've also moved on from every single part that was used in that engine, it is at least 4 generations behind where we are today, in every way.

I don;t even use those rod bearings any more, not the pistons either, not even the valve springs. Its an old engine that was built before 95% of the majority of the companies that build these engines today had even touched one. Its older than at least 4 of the companies that build these engines today, and grace the pages of magazines with ads that look impressive.

The buyer of this car set a precedent.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

It's a testament to you and your work that a sick car showed so well. Congrats to you as I think you did far more to sell that car than the seller did.

Again, hope it makes its way back to you so you can bring it back health.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

It's a testament to you and your work that a sick car showed so well. Congrats to you as I think you did far more to sell that car than the seller did.

Again, hope it makes its way back to you so you can bring it back health.
It was clear that the seller was just over and done with the car.

I started not tompost at all, because I figured that nothing good would come from it. You guys have probably noticed that I haven't been active here very much over the last few months. I've pretty much taken that same attitude with any posts, forums, Facebook pages, and etc.

Part way through the auction inwas glad that I did post. It kept the assumptions of what may be wrong with the engine realistic. This also gave a potential buyer an idea of what it would cost at maximum for us to carry out a worst case, invasive repair.

We'll see if the buyer contacts us.. He didn't seem like he was going to, and that's his prerogative. He's going to flush hundred dollar bills down the toilet fast if he isn't careful.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:29 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmm... Thought they were in the 28-30 range with some rare 32s.

Remember that this car also has 0 value from a collector perspective since the motor is no longer factory and can never be returned to the factory state. So the 40AE badge is a neat talking point on this car, but carries no value compared to other unmolested 40AEs. Additionally at 101k that is past the taboo milage which brings it's value down. Without Jake's motor in it I expect it's a $25k car at best (probably lower with as little as the seller did to prep and clean the car).
I understand where you're coming from, it's just a matter of perspective. 996s, even 40th AE spec, imo are *not* collectible cars. Some 40th AE cars may be someday, but this is a hot rod. People pay $350-500k for Singers where just about nothing is OEM. All due respect to Stuttgart, they are not the best.. and it's not very close. I'll pay $3-5k more for a GT3 or Turbo that's had a proper, documented weld job on the cooling system + other tasteful upgrades. The proper tuners & enthusiasts that occupy the P-car community add value that most buyers are wholly ignorant of. My car isn't stock & will continue to drift away from OEM spec - as the car gods intended. The suspension, IMS, intake, plenum, console, etc were shyte quality from the factory, so I raised the quality to my standards. If nobody wants to place a bid or offer on my car down the road, so be it. This little addiction was never about the money.

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Adding 2 pennies here so take it for what its worth.......my 997S has 106K on it with a Raby 4.0 in it that has 15K miles. The engine seems more seasoned every time I drive it and I drive it every day. The power and torque his motors have is a game changer. Just yesterday on my way to work, I have a tight right hander then left with a straight going uphill straight .....I caught air coming out of the turn! I really don't see me ever selling this car. And if I wreck it, the motor will be pulled to go into something else. The guy on BaT got a very good deal! The sale of that car just just confirms the move I made.
^ $40k++ car all day long imo. The chassis isn't compromised by those miles & we know the engine has 10-20 years of consistent use before another full rebuild is needed. You're buying a lease on a powerful, balanced sports car that is much more unique than average buyers understand. That's the beauty of it, you hot rod without people knowing it. Those that get it and have money will continue to bid on these examples, while people with vanilla aspirations dawdle in the classifieds looking for a mediocre, yet OEM-spec 996.

perception > quasi-Concours d'Elégance

Old 03-16-2017, 12:59 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
We'll see if the buyer contacts us.. He didn't seem like he was going to, and that's his prerogative. He's going to flush hundred dollar bills down the toilet fast if he isn't careful.
That's a shame if he doesn't. It was your input and offer to help that made it a 20k car in my opinion. Without that, it's just another slightly better than roller

Oh well, such is life. Go enjoy playing with your new non-Porsche toy

Quick Reply: Another 996 on BAT rebuilt but with engine issues