Sponsored by:

Another 996 on BAT rebuilt but with engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 03:18 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by KarCrazy
Well, I'm the guy who is either crazy, (I'm sure that some would say foolish), or lucky.
Either way this first time 911 purchase will be an education. At this point my intent is to get the car back to Jake and have them give it the once-over. From there we'll make some decisions. Going to enlist in the "enthusiasts" course that Flat6 offers as well. I'm sure I'll save multiples of the tuition over time.

I'll keep you posted as to what happens
Go easy on me
Welcome to Rennlist and congrats on the purchase! You out bid my buddy Slakker, but in the end you got a good car and have a made a wise decision to send it back to Flat6 and Jake Raby. If you change your mind and don't use Raby, your Porsche 40th AE has a remote self destruct button that we can press and so you better be careful. Just look what they did to my 996 (picture in my avatar). hahahaha!!!

Cheers!
Old 03-16-2017, 03:23 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Well, I'm the guy who is either crazy, (I'm sure that some would say foolish), or lucky.
Either way this first time 911 purchase will be an education. At this point my intent is to get the car back to Jake and have them give it the once-over. From there we'll make some decisions. Going to enlist in the "enthusiasts" course that Flat6 offers as well. I'm sure I'll save multiples of the tuition over time.

Go easy on me
I hope lucky!
Old 03-16-2017, 03:25 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Go easy on me
Wow, that's a hell of an entry point. Not something I would suggest for a first timer, but utilizing Jake will get you the best outcome even if the upfront cost hurts a bit.

Congrats on the win and definitely please keep us posted!
Old 03-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
He will be fine it's impossible a flat 6 engine failed...
Not impossible. The only two guarantees with anything mechanical are:

- It will break

-If it doesn't break first, it will wear out.

Mechanical things start to die the first time they are used. This is a lot like a human, the day we are born, we start to die... If we don't break first, we will wear out, and die.

An engine builder that hasn't had a failure, hasn't built enough engines. Period.

The difference is what happens after things have broken. Thats when the human factor comes in, and it becomes more than mechanical.

Have I had engines break? Damn right. It was part of building my thoroughbred. The value of a failure to someone like me is priceless, its how we learn the things that no one else knows.

Today I will say that I am learning more from the mistakes of others than anything. As more and more people try to build these engines, they end up being carted to me, and we see where they screwed up, and address it. It was a lot easier when everyone was afraid of these things, at least back the I only had to fix my own mistakes.

Karcrazy called today and set things up with Jud, so we will soon know whats going on. I was setting cam timing when he called, and since I hate the phone, I'll talk to him once we begin diagnosis.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill

Kidding you, (I really hoped you'd win)
You made your intentions clear and I understand that fully...The horse is dead and I'll stop beating it!
I was just playing with you man. Please don't ever take me serious as you will be wrong 99% of the time. I thought your comment was funny.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:17 PM
Slakker
Race Car

CarKrazy, congrats and welcome to the jungle. I think you made a brilliant purchase. It doesn't get any better than a 996 with an FSI engine for your first purchase. You will love it! And sending to Jake and enrolling in the enthusiast program shows that you are intent on doing things right and this will payoff in the end. I'm glad the car went to a smart buyer.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:47 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

welcome CrazyK

I've put a pretty penny into my 996 in a year of ownership, but have logged 11,000 (s)miles & counting with no plans to do anything but keep improving the car. Good luck getting your sorted - they can be reliable daily drivers once you get them properly refreshed. Lots of fun to be had out there.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

First let's wait and see what the problem is and what it will take to get the car all sorted out before declaring this a brilliant purchase.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:42 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
I was just playing with you man. Please don't ever take me serious as you will be wrong 99% of the time. I thought your comment was funny.
I thought so and that's why I play along...
Mai Tai's on me if you ever make it to Hawaii!
Old 03-16-2017, 11:08 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by Imo000
First let's wait and see what the problem is and what it will take to get the car all sorted out before declaring this a brilliant purchase.
Lmo000 with a sour *** comment. That's a new one. Every purchase has its risks. If 12k is the worst case scenario then even with shipping he has a 40 AE with an FSI for $4k over market of a regular 40AE. That's a good deal. But the upside is he could have well under market in it and that's what makes it brilliant.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:32 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

As long as you don't use a home depot bearing for an IMSb like Imo000 you should be able to avoid the 3 year streak of owning a non-running 996 (like Imo000). Everyone that works with Jake comes out happy with the end product. Just do as he says & enjoy your one of a kind 996.

I still can't get over the power in that car.. 400+hp would make me consider putting 295s on the rear. Maybe re-gear it for 200mph?

Last edited by TonyTwoBags; 03-16-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Buyer, you got a great car that needs a little tlc. What's great about this car, is the guy who created the Lazarus of the 996 engine is completely aware and on board. Enjoy your 996 as you have the best looking after and in it.

wtf am I doing in the 996 na forum I have a broken spoiler I need to fix.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:12 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by Atrox
wtf am I doing in the 996 na forum
Slummin!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 AM
taylor15
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go easy on me
i live fairly close to Jake's shop, so if you want someone unbiased to drive it once it's repaired to...uh...check out jakes work just let me know. I'm willing to make that sacrifice.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Lmo000 with a sour *** comment. That's a new one. Every purchase has its risks. If 12k is the worst case scenario then even with shipping he has a 40 AE with an FSI for $4k over market of a regular 40AE. That's a good deal. But the upside is he could have well under market in it and that's what makes it brilliant.
$12K is not the worse case scenario. There is a lot more to a car than the engine. Let's wait before jumping to any conclusions.

Quick Reply: Another 996 on BAT rebuilt but with engine issues