Sponsored by:

Another 996 on BAT rebuilt but with engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:09 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I have refused to accept further compensation from the owner, I am sticking with my "worst case" figure that I posted on BAT during the auction. We are pretty much starting over.
And still people wonder why you have rabid followers

Expertise and honor out weigh hurt feelings and bruised egos every time...
Old 06-12-2017, 02:34 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

The buyer of the car on BAT counted on the figure that I posted during the auction when buying the car. If that figure went up, then he gets something that he didn't ask for.

I don't advertise, so I spend the money I'd (waste) advertising to do the right thing for those who deserve it.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:31 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
And still people wonder why you have rabid followers

Expertise and honor out weigh hurt feelings and bruised egos every time...
Like many, I have my own Jake story. I also know of several similar stories where he has gone above and beyond.

He has always been far more than fair and honorable in my interactions. Jake even answers my emails when I ask stupid questions!

Count me in as another loyal "rabid" (or is that Rabyd? ) customer
Old 06-12-2017, 09:13 AM
texaninmichigan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car sold for nearly $20K. Wow. That seems crazy for this vehicle knowing the issues could be really serious....just sayin'. It is a 2004, but is over 100K miles. I wouldn't pay that, even for a special edition with an upgraded motor, because it has issues. Worst case, it's now a $32K car. There are phenomenal cars out there for $32K. Just wow. Maybe he will get lucky and it won't be that horrible of a fix and I hope that's the outcome. I could be a beautiful car.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Maybe he will get lucky and it won't be that horrible of a fix and I hope that's the outcome.
He already got lucky. He dealt with me, and I locked the price at 12K- thats all he will pay me.

This car sold for nearly $20K. Wow. That seems crazy for this vehicle knowing the issues could be really serious....just sayin'. It is a 2004, but is over 100K miles. I wouldn't pay that, even for a special edition with an upgraded motor, because it has issues. Worst case, it's now a $32K car.
No, its worth whatever someone is will to expend on it, for the happiness that it brings to them. The value of a Porsche isn't, and never has been limited to that of what some crummy "blue Book" says that it is.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by texaninmichigan
This car sold for nearly $20K. Wow. That seems crazy for this vehicle knowing the issues could be really serious....just sayin'. It is a 2004, but is over 100K miles. I wouldn't pay that, even for a special edition with an upgraded motor, because it has issues. Worst case, it's now a $32K car. There are phenomenal cars out there for $32K. Just wow. Maybe he will get lucky and it won't be that horrible of a fix and I hope that's the outcome. I could be a beautiful car.
I would argue that THIS will be a phenomenal car for $32k (with the known upgrade of a motor done by FSI - you just don't get that with a stock motor regardless of milage/maintenance). My bet would be that this new motor will be pretty close to bullet proof. You have to remember that these cars were almost $100k (for a nicely optioned one) new for a reason - they were really, really good - by all accounts better than previous 911's... Obviously, hindsight has proven that engine problems have diminished that shine quite a bit, but the platform itself remains excellent. A bullet proof motor makes it a "phenominal car"... Lets face it, you can easily spend $30k on the likes of a Toyota Camry...
Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 AM
texaninmichigan
Track Day

So true--although you couldn't give me a Camry. It will be awesome. I hope he loves it and now that Jake is going to take care of him, it will be even better. Always better to be able to go in eyes wide open.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:04 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
My bet would be that this new motor will be pretty close to bullet proof.
It already was, but it got in the hands of an owner(s?) that prove the rule that no matter how better you make something, there is always a better idiot out there.

From what has been described, had the POs listened to Jake when they talked to him and properly taken care of the motor, it wouldn't have been in the state that it was.

Originally Posted by texaninmichigan
Always better to be able to go in eyes wide open.
And that's the part that made this a $20k car. You're late to the game and don't appear to have studied up yet, but Jake was commenting on the auction from the beginning with what he knew of the history and what he expected the issues to be. He also (much to his chagrin in hindsight) made a "worst case" estimate of what he would charge if it was sent to him for fixing.

It's almost impossible to get a more "eyes open" deal than this one was.

Without Jake involved, that was a $15k car tops as it likely would have been a money pit to get running clean again.

$32k isn't out of the ballpark for a clean 40AE with it's original engine, so the all in price here isn't bad for a decent car with a zero worries motor in it.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:28 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm really a fear- mongering, self centered, flamboyant, *******...

BUT If I tell you that I'll do something, then I'll damn sure do it!
The older I get the more I realize the grumpy old man thing is real. I think it's a general reduction in tolerance based on life experience.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:37 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
The older I get the more I realize the grumpy old man thing is real. I think it's a general reduction in tolerance based on life experience.
The "grumpy old men" are the ones who understand that, the older they/we get the less time they/we have to do whatever it is that they/we have to do. I don't think it's a reduction of "tolerance" in general, but a reduction of tolerance for B.S.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:57 AM
texaninmichigan
Track Day

I had read the BaT threads before posting, and just hope that the new owner is as pleased with his new car that I am with mine. I wasn't criticizing, just saying I didn't think the deal was that great--it still isn't in my opinion, fair maybe, but not great, but that doesn't matter as long as the owner is happy and it sounds like he is thrilled. A bullet proof car is worth a lot of peace of mind and resale, but some people don't care about resale (like the dude who drove his 250K mile car to death) and that's OK, too. I happen to be one who is concerned with resale as well as overall drivability. My "eyes wide open" was a fair comment as the issues were clearly discussed in the posting on BaT. As long as the buyer is prepared, and in this case he is well-prepared, and excited about the car, it's all good and how it should be. Can't wait to hear about it when it is all fixed up!
Old 06-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

These cars are "worth" what someone will pay for them. The estimated market values don't mean a damn thing.

I see cars in the private market sell for 8-12K more than book value all the time.

Put a price on it, if it doesn't sell its either too cheap, or too expensive. Cheap stuff doesn't sell, either.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Wait, isn't this a 40AE with a 4.0L FSI engine? How in the hell would that not be worth $32k+. The engine alone is almost worth that much. The buyer got a heck of a deal. If you love 911's this is one of the best you can get at any price. Well, next to an early '99 with a 3.8L track package of course.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:21 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm really a fear- mongering, self centered, flamboyant, *******...

BUT If I tell you that I'll do something, then I'll damn sure do it!
You're a good guy, don't listen to what I say

Anyone worth their salt can be a bastard under a given set of circumstances
Old 05-01-2018, 06:46 PM
KarCrazy
6th Gear

So, It's been quite an adventure getting this car back to life. Lots of unforeseen damage, logistical nightmares, and just plain bad luck.
That being said, I'm happy to report that I finally got it into Canada last week and finished with all the importation/registration paperwork this afternoon.
It's currently sitting at my office, insured, plated and despite being a little dusty, waiting for me to happily take it home for the first time.
Thanks everyone for the great advise - immediately after purchasing the car I sent it to Jake and did exactly what he told me to.
To his credit he honored his word and charged me exactly what he said he would despite the extent of the damage.
Furthermore he went far beyond my expectation to ensure the car is perfect.
Jake and his team were great to deal with and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them to anyone.

At the end of the day I couldn't be happier and am looking forward to many years of smiles and miles.
Thank you Jake, I'm disappointed I didn't make it to GA to say that in person, perhaps I'll have to go for a long drive one day soon (after the break-in period - of course).
I haven't forgotten about the steak dinner I owe you.

Cheers
Chris (Winnipeg Canada)

Quick Reply: Another 996 on BAT rebuilt but with engine issues