996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche 996 Interior Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:30 AM
moresyporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up if I could ask this thread where is the best site to buy new stitched black matts with the red porsche
Old 08-24-2017, 10:15 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write up your changes. It's pretty amazing what can be done with the Water Transfer Process (I've seen WTP carbon fiber that looks amazing). A lot of people have been critical of the look of the console and I have to admit that it's not to my taste either. Obviously, the only thing that matters is that you like it.

I would like to offer a (hopefully) constructive suggestion. I think that the issue (if there is one) with the console is not that it's wood or that it's a faux finish, but just that the color is so light and bright that the console now dominates the interior -- it's hard to see anything else because the console stands out so much.

The factory wood interiors were very dark burled wood. I think that if you were to have the WTP guys put a tint over the wood to darken it, then it would have a totally different look that compliments the rest of the interior rather than distracts from it. If it was at least as dark as the shift **** wood, it would probably work a lot better against the gray/black interior.

I've repeated 2 of your photos below.

The first one shows the difference between the shift **** wood and the console. I think if the console was at least as dark, or darker than the shift ****, it would blend in a lot better.

This top down photo below seems to be very close to the shift **** color -- I guess it's just the photo lighting because the console looks much brighter and lighter colored in the car -- but I think the color as it looks in this photo (or even darker) would blend a lot better.

It seems like the WTP guys didn't do a good job matching the shift ****, and you had them do two consoles, so you could probably talk them into darkening it for free if you were inclined to do that. They certainly own you a better match, and I would go even darker.

I hope none of what I've written is offensive, just trying to offer a constructive suggestion.

Last edited by peterp; 08-25-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:18 AM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted a darker wood finish on the console to match the shift ****. The console color came out lighter than the pattern what I had selected online.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:24 PM
911STYL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Speakers

When you upgraded your stereo, did you upgrade the speakers also? I'm researching to determine what I will use in my upgrade.

Thanks

911STYL
Old 01-23-2018, 10:41 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911STYL
When you upgraded your stereo, did you upgrade the speakers also? I'm researching to determine what I will use in my upgrade.
Thanks
911STYL
I replaced the crummy Bose subwoofer with a 10-inch, 150-W subwoofer and enclosure custom-made for the 996 form Sound In Motion in Massachusetts for $1800. I did lose a few inches of passenger legroom, as the subwoofer is now under the floormat where your feet go.

On my list is replacing the rest of the speakers with a Focal set from Car Audio Innovations for $1200. That''s where I got the new stereo and amplifier. They install these in 996s and 997s and have figured out exactly what works.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:56 PM
911STYL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
I replaced the crummy Bose subwoofer with a 10-inch, 150-W subwoofer and enclosure custom-made for the 996 form Sound In Motion in Massachusetts for $1800. I did lose a few inches of passenger legroom, as the subwoofer is now under the floormat where your feet go.

On my list is replacing the rest of the speakers with a Focal set from Car Audio Innovations for $1200. That''s where I got the new stereo and amplifier. They install these in 996s and 997s and have figured out exactly what works.
I'm good on the sub - doing the same as you. I want Focals as well but don't know which models yet. Million dollar question - do u remember which Focals you got for the front and rear?
Old 01-24-2018, 07:24 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not my cup of tea but as long as you like it. I got myself a water transfer kit at home, can't wait to try it out.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:13 PM
rporzio
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, nice work. Thanks for all the details as I learned more than a few things about mine... Ralph
Old 01-27-2018, 03:30 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911STYL
I'm good on the sub - doing the same as you. I want Focals as well but don't know which models yet. Million dollar question - do u remember which Focals you got for the front and rear?
I still have the stock Bose speakers; I haven't replaced them with the Focals yet. Whichever sets cost $1200 is what I'll get.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:33 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rporzio
Wow, nice work. Thanks for all the details as I learned more than a few things about mine... Ralph
Please post if you make any upgrades!
Old 01-27-2018, 07:03 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Nice photo's !! Thanks for sharing..
Old 04-04-2018, 01:47 AM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

My driver's side floor mat was worn through, so I used the opportunity to get new mats with a little color. The original mats were black carpet with black PORSCHE stitching.
I ordered a pair of Ultimat model front mats from Lloyd Mats through Pelican Parts. With custom red PORSCHE and targa logs, they came out to $144.90.
The Lloyd mats come with plastic clips that attach to the seat rails. I didn't want to fiddle with these and liked the original Velcro on the bottom just fine. I cut Lloyd's clips off, cut the old loop side of the Velcro off of the stock mats (see photo below), and used contact cement to glue the Velcro loops to the new Lloyd mat.

Transferring the Velcro from the old to the new mats. The cat did not help.

The new mats match the steering wheel and interior well enough.

Driver's side floor mat
Old 04-04-2018, 01:49 AM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by moresyporsche
Nice write up if I could ask this thread where is the best site to buy new stitched black matts with the red porsche
See the above post.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:56 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ck986
I'm not a fan of the center console in wood, I personally would have left it silver. It's just too much wood for the car. In my opinion the shifter and handbrake are just enough. The other mods work. Now that you added red, you'll need red seat belts, and red stitching on the floor mats. Nice Targa.
I also got matching black and red Fratelli Orsini driving gloves and watchband.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:10 AM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Ok you're just f...ing around right..............
The following 6 users liked this post by Randyg308:
barbancourt (01-22-2022), dporto (02-27-2020), EVOMMM (06-04-2021), gnargusto (02-28-2020), moosetaco (02-27-2020), TheUnscented (05-29-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 Interior Upgrades