Sponsored by:

$14k Cayman with nothing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:18 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
My guess is that the seller in this case opted to do business with someone he knew rather than someone on the Internet he doesn't know
Yeap that's my guess to and I totally get it. Still a dick move though.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:22 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
If there was a dick move, it was on the part of the seller.
I agree.

However I think the seller's motivation/reasoning could've been that I've taken all my cars to this shop and have formed a good relationship with them over the years. I don't want to jeopordize that good relationship and also want to give something back vs. no history or care with the buyer(Slakker). It doesn't make it right and I'm in no way condoning this type of behaviour but just trying to get in the mind of the seller on what he could've been thinking which then doesn't make it such a clear cut case IMO.

Either way, everyone can move on...
Old 08-26-2016, 04:29 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Agree with gnat's analysis.

#1 bad actor is the shop. As Gonzo pointed out with the real estate transactions, it's unethical in at least two ways: 1) offer to buy a car you gave a catastrophic diagnosis on especially with no further verification, and 2) offer to buy a car out from underneath the guy you've been hired by to perform a PPI.

Slakker, you should've trusted your instincts and told the shop you were paying $20,000 for it.

FWIW, I suspect that IMSB failure diagnosis is wrong. Why? The conventional wisdom regarding the low failure rate and the tech's eagerness to buy the car.

BTW, nothing that Bruce said in his post leads me to believe that this shop is above making a fake or incorrect diagnosis. He sees no problem with what his tech did in buying the car out from under a PPI customer. Ironically, he paints slakker as unethical.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

And then there is the trap of the moral equivalency : because Mr. S chatted about his plans he was somehow a deserving victim. The hierarchy of values that are the basis of decency seem to be ignored. And which of the parties seems most straightforward ?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:29 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
And then there is the trap of the moral equivalency : because Mr. S chatted about his plans he was somehow a deserving victim.
You read too much into things I think.

That he should have kept things to himself doesn't mean he deserved to be screwed over, but it certainly open the door for said screwing.

The business of money is full of people saying the wrong thing at the wrong time for their opponent to take advantage.

So no he didn't deserve what the shop did, but he could have made it harder for them to screw him over.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
but he could have made it harder for them to screw him over.
Agreed. I'm much better at post game analysis than real-time play calling. My assumption was that the shop was crooked. If that was true, then having them finish the PPI offered no gain and gave them time to react and cover. I should have just wired the guy the money and taken my chances. It would have increased the risk a bit but also it would have increased my chance of success.

However, I no longer believe the shop is crooked I think they just handled this entire situation very poorly. Also, as stated when it first fell apart, I believe it was good karma that I didn't get it. I'm not a big fan of making money at someone else's expense.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:13 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Old 08-26-2016, 07:37 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
If that was true, then having them finish the PPI offered no gain and gave them time to react and cover. I should have just wired the guy the money and taken my chances. It would have increased the risk a bit but also it would have increased my chance of success.
I was wondering why you'd bother having a PPI done on a presumed-bad-engine $10k car.

Originally Posted by slakker
However, I no longer believe the shop is crooked I think they just handled this entire situation very poorly.
I agree with the second half of that statement. I have no problem calling them out based on what the shop itself has admitted to doing. I would not do business with any shop that thinks it's OK to snipe a car out from underneath a customer who is paying that shop to perform a PPI.
Because wrong.

Last year, I went to a luncheon for car guys being hosted by a retired car dealer in his garage/car collection/man cave. He had a new car franchise dealership here in KC from the late 1960's until about 10 years ago. He gave a very entertaining speech to the group, and he's a good storyteller. But, he told story after story about how he ripped people off on deals. He talked about how he always had an "odometer man" on staff to turn back the mileage on practically every high mileage trade in. And this guy is a revered icon to most of the old guys in the group. I suspect some of them were his victims over the years.

No matter how affable someone might be, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, well . . . A common trait among con men is an appearance of legitimacy. Slakker, you got screwed, that's a fact, but essentially just out of a potential good deal. The guy who owned the Cayman is probably the real victim here, but no one will ever be able to prove that. SMH at the actions of this shop.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:00 PM
Dplus
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.usedcarsgroup.com/used-20...ab29816u784936
Old 08-26-2016, 08:14 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Wow , same car???

Was this just listed by the mechanic or the owner... Or is it an old listing?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
The guy who owned the Cayman is probably the real victim here.
There we go...
Old 08-26-2016, 08:26 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
Wow , same car???

Was this just listed by the mechanic or the owner... Or is it an old listing?
That car is in AZ. I think Autowerkes is in Maryland.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:34 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
That car is in AZ. I think Autowerkes is in Maryland.
Actually Gonz, they are in Huntington Beach, CA.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,030 Posts

That's the same VIN, right???
Old 08-26-2016, 08:39 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Actually Gonz, they are in Huntington Beach, CA.
Gotcha...quick Google search shows Autowerkes is also in WA, OR and Maine...my bad.

Quick Reply: $14k Cayman with nothing wrong?