Yet another 996 Cylinder 1 misfire thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Pmafia
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good night Martin
Good night Jake.
Wow, I usually keep to the boring 996tt board but I just couldn't help myself with this one.

Skip to 16 seconds in. Now the question is, who is who?

Last edited by Pmafia; 05-27-2016 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added quotes
Old 05-27-2016, 05:40 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
I smell the sense of entitlement here and a sense that you never ran a small business before. Misfires to me doesn't automatically equal engine hitting the $hitter, a classic RL knee jerk reaction.

That's all I'll say on the matter as we're all outsiders looking in with what we all think our own versions of the truth really are.
Entitlement = expecting an X51 rebuild to last > 6.5 months before needing several $grand in maintenance? Respectfully disagree.

But as your curious logic points out, since I'm not a small business owner it's not something I'm qualified to speak about. What do I know about specific performance and the long term CBA of shunning a customer publicly in a popular forum vs. lending a helping hand? Clearly nothing.. Tu quoque http://www.geek.com/news/the-11-most...acies-1636224/

Martin's funny. On one hand he calls the 996 engines fragile and not meant to be driven hard/pushed to redline. On the other hand he doesn't mind selling blown engines in rebuild form to undercut the market. Classy guy, don't see any weak points in his constitution.

Only dog I have in this fight is to vet a prospective 3.8L conversion shop or rebuilder. So far the married guy with a constant hard on for FSI is eliminating any risk of accepting a check from me.

Split shipping and fix that man's X51, correct this time and not ticking time bomb style!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:41 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Entitlement = expecting an X51 rebuild to last > 6.5 months before needing several $grand in maintenance? Respectfully disagree.
You're making a very big assumption here that something was wrong with the rebuild.

Either way you might be one of those guys trying to return something standing in line at Best Buy, raising their voice arguing that since it is an HP computer, it shouldn't fail after 13 months and even if warranty was 12 months, trying to return it. Those kinds of people I can't debate with as it's futile.

As much as I feel for the OP, sometimes $hit happens and out of warranty is out of warranty in the products I deal with. I don't know what kind of products you're used to buying that allows exceptions.

It's really quite simple. People that want a lower cost rebuild that want to take a risk with shorter warranty can go to Martin.

Those that aren't comfortable with that or want to splurge on paying more for a better warranty or engine with more bells and whistles can go to Jake.

As I've said before, it's finally great to have many choices these days(including Vertex, Vision, 9f, etc.). It's a win for consumers.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:50 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

It's a win for consumers.
As long as they know what they are buying on the front end.

That said, I hate everything about warranties, especially when people try to take advantage of them, or when shops invent issues that don't exist just to get paid by a warranty.

I pretty much make it impossible to be taken advantage of, but if someone has a warranty issue, I never question it. We get the car back, pay shipping, and fix the damn thing.

Even if it's 5 years out of warranty.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:11 PM
501Max
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

My FSI experience has been Fantastic!

My conversation with Jake convinced me to go with him. Jake spent as much time as I wanted to spend going over every piece/option of his proposal before I signed on the dotted line. As stated- "There was no fine print". More than that- I sensed Jake's word was gold. I actually would have been good with a handshake. However; society necessitates a contract- and FSI provides one that is painfully clear to those that have the ability to read.

As I stated in another thread- Jake and FSI delivered what they promised. The entire process was carried out as planned. The car went into their hands on time and came out on time and budget! Jake and FSI went beyond the call at every step, and I was provided a wealth of documentation to support every part of the process. I was delivered a very nice performing piece of art, and I continue to be smiling ear to ear!!

I enjoy working with craftsmen that deliver what they promise. Thus; it has been my honor to develop a FSI relationship.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by 501Max
My FSI experience has been Fantastic!

My conversation with Jake convinced me to go with him. Jake spent as much time as I wanted to spend going over every piece/option of his proposal before I signed on the dotted line. As stated- "There was no fine print". More than that- I sensed Jake's word was gold. I actually would have been good with a handshake. However; society necessitates a contract- and FSI provides one that is painfully clear to those that have the ability to read.

As I stated in another thread- Jake and FSI delivered what they promised. The entire process was carried out as planned. The car went into their hands on time and came out on time and budget! Jake and FSI went beyond the call at every step, and I was provided a wealth of documentation to support every part of the process. I was delivered a very nice performing piece of art, and I continue to be smiling ear to ear!!

I enjoy working with craftsmen that deliver what they promise. Thus; it has been my honor to develop a FSI relationship.
This is what we deliver. At the end of the day, the owner of the engine isn't a customer; he's a friend.

My friends like this have invited me into their homes on the opposite side of the planet, and have been beside me over the past 18 years of growing this business. Some of these people bought 914 & 356 engines from me when I was just a kid, and I've been through their Porsche ownership with them, sometimes supplying 3-4 engines over the years. In the case of one of these friends, I have supplied him with 13 engines, and 7 cars over the years.

Thats what I look back on, often, and what I am most proud of.

I'm really happy to have 501 Max as a friend.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:15 PM
MBMotorsports
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys don't realize how many engines I have repaired between my 2 locations. Most of them are out of warranty by now and still running strong. I have not received a single complain from those clients. Let me tell you how I stand behind my work and my products.
I sold a used 3.8l 997 engine from Poland to customer in Israel, that was back in August of 2015 (it's on my FB page). Later, customer contacted us and said that engine had loud knocking noise and smoke coming from exhaust. He recorded a video and emailed it so we could verify this information. It turned out his engine developed scoring. I told him to remove the motor, prepare it for pick up and let me know when it's ready. I shipped it back to Poland by UPS air freight at MY OWN EXPENSE no questions asked. I told my client I will take the motor completely apart and perform a full rebuild (including resleeving all cylinders to eliminate scoring issues for good) at no cost to him. After it was finished I shipped it back by UPS air freight at my expense again, total of $2300 both ways. Customer installed his engine and is happy ever since, just asked what is the procedure for break in period.
Another problem was with a freshly rebuilt 3.6l 996 engine which had original cylinders, not resleeved (same as Kirt's x51). That was back in 2014, customer was driving his car everyday during very harsh Canadian winter. One day before the warranty was over his shop contacted me saying this engine developed scoring. They have purchased a couple of engines from us for their clients. What did I do? I shipped the motor back at MY EXPENSE and resleeved all cylinders at no additional cost to customer. This shop knew exactly what they were buying and chose not to resleeve the cylinders at the time of purchase.
In Kirt's case it wasn't obvious that there was something wrong inside the long block. He had an intermittent problem which he tried to diagnose himself for 2 months without letting us know about it. I believe it's because it wasn't evident that it was indeed a problem with 1 stuck lifter. We told him that he would have to ship the car to us since warranty is over and once we have the car here we would find the problem. It was clearly explained that if there would be something wrong inside the long block we would cover the repair in full, and if it was something not related to the engine he would have to pay for diagnosing and repairing the problem. He didn't know himself what to do in this case and I believe this is why he chose to go with a local tech.
If his engine blew up and it was evidently my fault I would ship the car back no questions asked, even after warranty was over. In fact if any engine I repaired evidently blew up as a result of my f...up I would ship it back and repair it at no cost to customer.
Now, after customer's local shop worked on our motor it doesn't concern MB Motorsports anymore.

We don't offer original cylinders in our rebuilds anymore to eliminate problems with possible future scoring. Now all of our rebuilds come with all resleeved cylinders and 1 year warranty instead of 6 months. Resleeved cylinders have 5 year warranty by the way, so if there is anything wrong with them we will also repair them at no cost to customer.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:23 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MBMotorsports
No, I said those were new because the original ones were damaged (scored) due to ims failure.
Martin: How is it that my new valve lifters have a part number that hasn't been manufactured for a few years? Since you rebuild a lot of engines with IMSB failure, you've probably gone through a lot of new valve lifters.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
Martin: How is it that my new valve lifters have a part number that hasn't been manufactured for a few years? Since you rebuild a lot of engines with IMSB failure, you've probably gone through a lot of new valve lifters.
No response to this yet? I thought Martin was alllllll about customer service according to his last post on this thread. Hello anybody home?
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2016, 09:16 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

This thread has turned from a $hitshow into an episode of "Keeping up with the Kardasians of Rennlist". Please just stahp already. Yall look like a bunch of children.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
This thread has turned from a $hitshow into an episode of "Keeping up with the Kardasians of Rennlist". Please just stahp already. Yall look like a bunch of children.
The cave pic a little to much? The Dr has a valid question and he should get an answer. No?
Old 06-03-2016, 10:04 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
The cave pic a little to much? The Dr has a valid question and he should get an answer. No?
They should take this offline in email chains or something. Its kind of embarrassing to read honestly. No good will come of it and neither party is going to get resolution.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:06 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They should take this offline in email chains or something. Its kind of embarrassing to read honestly. No good will come of it and neither party is going to get resolution.
totally agree.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:26 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Gotta give this a +997 instead.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:52 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Gotta give this a +997 instead.

Quick Reply: Yet another 996 Cylinder 1 misfire thread