996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Yet another 996 Cylinder 1 misfire thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

That is quite interesting because if that valve leaks, it could leak air or fuel vapor depending on the current fuel vapor concentration and it would move the RKAT value from 0.0 either way. You can use a hand vacuum pump to test that valve btw.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:17 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
That is quite interesting because if that valve leaks, it could leak air or fuel vapor depending on the current fuel vapor concentration and it would move the RKAT value from 0.0 either way. You can use a hand vacuum pump to test that valve btw.
I'm still having rough idling. Curiously enough, turning on the air-conditioning compressor actually smooths out the idle because it increases the engine speed just enough to make it smooth (and the compressor running normally is rough).

I'm now getting a CEL code for low bank 2 catalytic converter efficiency, so I'm taking another look at the fuel-trim values. After driving for 40 minutes, I used my Durametric to read the trim values. Banks 1 and 2 are quite different for "adaption ranges" 1 and 2.

Idling engine speed = 730 rpm, but varies a bit
MAF = 17.0 kg/hr

Camshaft deviation
Bank 1 = 6.3 degrees
Bank 2 = 0.1 degrees

Adaption range 1 (near idle; RKAT)
Bank 1 = 1.69
Bank 2 = 1.45

Adaption range 2 (lower load range; FRA)
Bank 1 = 1.06
Bank 2 = 1.08

FRAU
Bank 1 = 1.06
Bank 2 = 1.08

Adaption range 3 (upper load range; FRAO)
Bank 1 = 1.03
Bank 2 = 1.02

I need help interpreting the values. I think that RKAT, FRA, and FRAO should all be near 1.00.

Last edited by DrMEMS; 06-28-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Fixed Bank 1 FRA
Old 06-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
I'm still having rough idling. Curiously enough, turning on the air-conditioning compressor actually smooths out the idle because it increases the engine speed just enough to make it smooth (and the compressor running normally is rough).

I'm now getting a CEL code for low bank 2 catalytic converter efficiency, so I'm taking another look at the fuel-trim values. After driving for 40 minutes, I used my Durametric to read the trim values. Banks 1 and 2 are quite different for "adaption ranges" 1 and 2.

Idling engine speed = 730 rpm, but varies a bit
MAF = 17.0 kg/hr

Camshaft deviation
Bank 1 = 6.3 degrees
Bank 2 = 0.1 degrees

Adaption range 1 (near idle; RKAT)
Bank 1 = 1.69
Bank 2 = 1.45

Adaption range 2 (lower load range; FRA)
Bank 1 = 1.69
Bank 2 = 1.08

FRAU
Bank 1 = 1.06
Bank 2 = 1.08

Adaption range 3 (upper load range; FRAO)
Bank 1 = 1.03
Bank 2 = 1.02

I need help interpreting the values. I think that RKAT, FRA, and FRAO should all be near 1.00.
The bold number can't be right! The RKAT is in % so ideal value is 0.00%. all the other FRx needs to be close to 1.00. If you get 1.69, that means the DME is adding 69% more fuel in that load range!
Old 06-28-2016, 05:33 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

You are correct! I had typed in the same value twice. I fixed my original post.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:02 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I figures it got to be a copy and paste error. Your corrected numbers look ok to me. Does Durametric still show misfires?

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
You are correct! I had typed in the same value twice. I fixed my original post.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Guys, please, no name calling. Also, please don't post personal information.

Everyone take a deep breath. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

One thread this week wasn't good enough Pete? You really needed to reopen the bickering over here? I have no love for Martin, but your sniping at him is just as bad as the BS he throws at Jake. Unless you have something concrete to say, just ignore him. You have plenty of good things in your life to spend time on, stop wasting it on Martin.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Back to the problem in hand I noticed on the durametric readings the can deviation on one bank is almost zero and the other plus six, this seems like there's a problem with this bank , vario paddles , can cause rough running might be worth looking into??
Old 07-08-2016, 05:55 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Noz1974
Back to the problem in hand I noticed on the durametric readings the can deviation on one bank is almost zero and the other plus six, this seems like there's a problem with this bank , vario paddles , can cause rough running might be worth looking into??
After the rebuild, the bank 1 camshaft deviation was small (I have forgotten the number). When the old cylinder 1 intake valve lifter started sticking, I had all six on that bank replaced. The indy Porsche mechanic saved me $2000+ by doing the replacement with the engine dropped down, but still in the car, rather than removing it. He told me that the first time he ran the repaired engine, the timing was off because the Porsche timing tool wouldn't fit with the engine still in the car. He dropped the engine again, adjusted the camshaft position, and reassembled it. He said that it was fine; I say that it's not. As I understand it, this is right at the edge of the Porsche spec of maximum 6 degrees error.

I don't know whether this will cause rough idling (but fine when revved up a little). I'd like to hear from anyone that has had an M96 engine with the same camshaft deviation.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MBMotorsports
I just showed you nobody is anonymous online. Last warning: do not start with me, you don't know me, you have no idea about my business nor you were or ever will be my customer. Do not talk **** about me or things you have no idea about, you do not want to find out what I can do when someone pisses me off.
Martin, stop. Now. You were warned.

Step away from the keyboard and go hug your partner, dog, cat, goldfish.

I'm closing this thread for a bit until everyone's blood pressure levels drop to sane numbers.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:58 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpine003
Wow, bickering at an all time high, even for RL standards.

We need mods to shut down some of these threads or lock them since they clearly serve no real purpose any more.

OP's aren't even involved any longer since we ruined their threads. Normally it's ok for less critical issues but the more serious issues like these deserves more focus and attention with less clutter.
I'm still here and still trying to get my engine idling smoothly. I have gotten some good information--and some misinformation--from the community's posts.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Everyone here should read this link: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...e-posting.html

Specifically, the charter (https://rennlist.com/charter/), a part of the aforementioned URL, addresses conduct:

The list administrator(s) reserve the right to unsubscribe and ban members who act in an intentionally inflammatory, fraudulent, libelous, defamatory, racist or demeaning manner, or in a manner inconsistent with this charter, using any Rennlist system or message communication technology. Further, no private communications can be posted publicly, without the permission of the party that send you that private e-mail/message, as these are typically used to incite Flame wars. It is not our intent to stifle communications, but to insure that free and open communications can take place.
I'm posting this in case anyone feels that they can say anything they want to whomever they want, whenever they want.

Thanks for understanding. Let's keep it nice, all.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I just re-opened this thread. If there are anymore name-callings, threats, postings of personal information, etc., infractions and/or vacations will be given. I gave all involved last week a free pass. Everyone, including members, users, moderators and sponsors, agreed to the charter and the expected code of conduct.

Don't like what someone says? Argue with the idea but don't insult the member. If things are getting really nasty, please hit the "Report Post" button and don't contribute to the negative actions. We are all here because of our love for cars and Porsches, so let's not lose sight of that essential factor.

Have a great week, folks.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks Mark. Again, apologies.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:31 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I just re-opened this thread. If there are anymore name-callings, threats, postings of personal information, etc., infractions and/or vacations will be given. I gave all involved last week a free pass. Everyone, including members, users, moderators and sponsors, agreed to the charter and the expected code of conduct.

Don't like what someone says? Argue with the idea but don't insult the member. If things are getting really nasty, please hit the "Report Post" button and don't contribute to the negative actions. We are all here because of our love for cars and Porsches, so let's not lose sight of that essential factor.

Have a great week, folks.
No offense intended but yall (the mods) are way to lenient around here. People post way OT stuff all over RL and it is this type of allowed behavior that gets you threads like this. Yall need to whip out the banhammer.

Quick Reply: Yet another 996 Cylinder 1 misfire thread