996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Name that noise!! Engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 12:12 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

. Honestly had I known these Pcars had such problems (aside from the random odd failure) I would not have bought one, and I won't be buying another.
I am really not upset at these cars at all really it is an aging super car. Built to drive hard for short periods of time. I wonder if Porsche ever intended to see 200k miles out of these? Either way I am going to drive the wheels off mine, then do it again. I hope my problems were minor, I don't believe in snake oil but if mine has a scored cyl then so far seafoam magically repaired it.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:12 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, it certainly has turned me off from purchasing another one. I was looking at replacing my SUV with a Cayenne but I've read about scoring issues on those also.

hopefully my rebuild makes me love this brand all over again. was a dream of mine to own this car and it's turned into a real life nightmare.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:39 PM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't read but the first few posts. The symptoms and noise from the video sound very similar to mine before.

Change the plugs. It worked for me. 1 must of been loose or something. It's to damn hard to take the plugs out to check for loose ones without just replacing (unless they're new I guess )

Originally Posted by RRTEC
Background:

Been making this noise since I got it randomly, also seems worse in colder weather.

Only at idle, and only after sitting at idle for a while.. Passenger side.

Goes away with throttle addition.

Car runs really great, so smoke no oil or coolant loss.

Oil was changed 2k miles ago with 0w40. And filter dissection has been clean since I bought it. 102k miles on it now.

http://youtu.be/OsCn_j0c5wI

Thoughts?

Loose spark plug?
Oil too thin?
Water pump?
Exploding metal death even though it's been fine for 12k miles and hasn't gotten worse or showing any negative effects other than sounding like a jalopy?
Old 10-23-2015, 03:21 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by williamr91
Change the plugs. It worked for me. 1 must of been loose or something.
Wouldn't a spark plug that loose send up misfire codes though?
Old 10-23-2015, 09:47 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RRTEC
I am really not upset at these cars at all really it is an aging super car. Built to drive hard for short periods of time. I wonder if Porsche ever intended to see 200k miles out of these? Either way I am going to drive the wheels off mine, then do it again. I hope my problems were minor, I don't believe in snake oil but if mine has a scored cyl then so far seafoam magically repaired it.
I agree it's a super car, and I agree it's aging. But Porsches were always known for remarkable durability even in the days when the average car needed a valve job at 40K and rings by 100K. Sure each generation had its achilles heel(s) but the water-cooled era seems to have ushered in a couple of pretty odious ones by comparison.

I am not at all sure Porsche intended they see 200K, in fact I have my doubts any car is built for that in these days if lease-it-and-move-on, although I am fairly certain they didn't intend for them to go udder-up during the warranty period, or to be involved in and found liable in a class-action suit (and it's beginning to look like bore scoring is at least as common as IMS if not more).

I'm going to drive the wheels off mine too, because I like the car better than any other I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot!). I'd rather sink $20K into a new engine (upgraded with better IMS and cylinders among other things) than sink the same $20K into depreciation on a car I enjoy less. That said, I was (and still am, perhaps wishful thinking) counting on getting at least 100K out of it before needing major work and I'd happily switch from Mobil 1 to snake oil if it would save me the cost of a new engine
Old 10-24-2015, 12:36 PM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would think, mine didn't. I thought it was the pulleys, replaced those and the belt, still ticked. Changed oil, filter, etc, still ticked. Thought for sure it was internal and figured oh well drive it. Everything is good except the noise. Then I'm driving (3 months later or so), coming up a hill, driving in a fun manor, and heard the mis fire, it stumbled, I pulled over. Ran codes, it was a mis fire. I changed the plugs and coils and no more ticking. I didn't do the tubes, which I need to but didn't have the time.

So moral of my rant, it will pull codes, just took for ever in my case.

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Wouldn't a spark plug that loose send up misfire codes though?
Old 10-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting that after the misfire code you replaced the plugs and that fixed the ticking noise. Suggests you may have been able to fix it by simply re-torquing the plugs?
Earlier:"off chance it was a sticking lifter"
-if you ever dismantle an M96 with defective lifters ,you often find the two nesting lifter cups are jammed together. Try and separate them. Even after soaking in penetrating oil for weeks it is likely they remain 'hammered' together. You often need a vise and channel-locks to separate the two halves to inspect inside.
I can not imagine how Seafoam could 'fix' such lifter issues.
It is not unusual for many,even the majority of the 24 lifters to be defective. INA had a bad run....
On a meticulously maintained car it seems easier to locate the specific cause because there are no neglected PM issues.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:47 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Overall it is very perplexing. Now that the ticking has stopped I do hear some faint muffled air whisps. So I may have an exhaust leak or a loose plug after all, or I may be a nut. The car is whisper quiet especially when compared to every other vehicle in my driveway. 700 miles in on the seafoam Magic genie in a bottle tick repair and quiet as a mouse..

Quick Reply: Name that noise!! Engine tick