Sponsored by:

Name that noise!! Engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
How long and many miles was the noise present, and did you ever look for and find the exact cause? (Diagnostics of all kinds fascinate me)
Never bothered looking for causes, I am was not paranoid Porsche owner. I got the car with 117k miles, it made that noise when cold. I sold it with 130k+ miles 1.5 years later and it made same noise when cold. It drove fine, never used any oil and based on the acceleration videos was very healthy. I assumed it was a worn lifter as it would tick/knock only when you started the car and engine was cold, it never made the noise when engine was warm.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:40 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Never bothered looking for causes, I am was not paranoid Porsche owner. I got the car with 117k miles, it made that noise when cold. I sold it with 130k+ miles 1.5 years later and it made same noise when cold. It drove fine, never used any oil and based on the acceleration videos was very healthy. I assumed it was a worn lifter as it would tick/knock only when you started the car and it was cold, it never made the noise when it was warm.
That how mine started out, it will eventually get louder and start burning oil, sometimes even mine even goes away depending on how it positioned. It likes high rpm and no problem redlining it for ever. I think it's worn in enough that it won't have a problem but I dread idling, I think that will be the killer one day.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Jumper, I remember your case...quite extreme and most experts think your engine won't last that long.

BTW, another good video by Jud (Flat 6 innovation) that can probably help diagnosing whether it's a lifter or scored cylinder.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

*delete due to double posting* wtf??

Last edited by Ben Z; 10-22-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Agreed and hence the recommendation of borescope to get a definitive diagnosis.
I would agree that a borescope exam would be useful to confirm the diagnosis when symptoms such as oil consumption and/or smoking and/or the sooty tailpipe are present. From what I've read and been told, many if not most times a borescope will reveal some evidence of light scoring in almost all cylinder walls in all engines with many thousands of miles on them. Getting a diagnosis of scoring is not, to me, the same as a diagnosis of engine failure prompting a rebuild. For me there would have to be some additional quantified criteria, such as noise level of the knocking and whether it goes away shortly as the engine warms up and expansion negates the slap or is present always; and amount of oil consumption.

It would be the same if imaging showed me to have cataracts or deterioration in my knees or hips. I would not get surgery unless it was impacting my QOL, so unless I had symptoms that were impacting my QOL, I wouldn't pay to have imaging done.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:28 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Jumper, I remember your case...quite extreme and most experts think your engine won't last that long.

BTW, another good video by Jud (Flat 6 innovation) that can probably help diagnosing whether it's a lifter or scored cylinder.

Porsche M96 Cylinder Failing - YouTube
most cars&coffee crowed been saying that since 2010. That video was from feb 2013 and yet it still is the same.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I would agree that a borescope exam would be useful to confirm the diagnosis when symptoms such as oil consumption and/or smoking and/or the sooty tailpipe are present. From what I've read and been told, many if not most times a borescope will reveal some evidence of light scoring in almost all cylinder walls in all engines with many thousands of miles on them. Getting a diagnosis of scoring is not, to me, the same as a diagnosis of engine failure prompting a rebuild. For me there would have to be some additional quantified criteria, such as noise level of the knocking and whether it goes away shortly as the engine warms up and expansion negates the slap or is present always; and amount of oil consumption.

It would be the same if imaging showed me to have cataracts or deterioration in my knees or hips. I would not get surgery unless it was impacting my QOL, so unless I had symptoms that were impacting my QOL, I wouldn't pay to have imaging done.
No one suggested rebuild (definitely I did not). The OP asks what causes the noise and I'm just trying to answer that question. Agree with you. No action needed as long as noise doesn't come back.

Originally Posted by jumper5836
most cars&coffee crowed been saying that since 2010. That video was from feb 2013 and yet it still is the same.
And you take that car to Mosport?! Amazing how much you can get out of that engine.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:46 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

And you take that car to Mosport?! Amazing how much you can get out of that engine.
Not since 2012, I bought a 996tt to replace it for track duties. It did get a some great tracking out of it.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:51 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I like others want to hope the best but that noise says scored cylinders.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would agree that a borescope exam would be useful to confirm the diagnosis when symptoms such as oil consumption and/or smoking and/or the sooty tailpipe are present. From what I've read and been told, many if not most times a borescope will reveal some evidence of light scoring in almost all cylinder walls in all engines with many thousands of miles on them..
I had 0 scoring on all cylinders, except 4 & 6. the others looked very healthy.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:27 AM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I like others want to hope the best but that noise says scored cylinders.
It very well may be. I plan to scope and get a better look. I have driven 400 miles since adding the seafoam on the off Chance it was a sticking lifter, and the car has been noise free and actually most likely directly tied in with the noise reduction the oil pressure is up to almost 2bar at idle.

I am not overly concerned as the car still runs extremely well, and of course at some point I will have to have been considering rebuilding anyway. In the meantime I will be enjoying the car as is and letting tomorrow worry about itself.

The updates will continue.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:29 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Here is my ticker going on 50k km with it like this, 135k on it now.
This is what I call squeezing the most out of a potential bad situation. Drive it till it dies. It may just outlast you or your ownership while still providing some smiles.

You should also note to these guys that some of those 50km involved track miles too IIRC.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:04 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine003
This is what I call squeezing the most out of a potential bad situation. Drive it till it dies. It may just outlast you or your ownership while still providing some smiles.

You should also note to these guys that some of those 50km involved track miles too IIRC.
Quite a lot of track miles and driving to and from the track.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:47 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quite a lot of track miles and driving to and from the track.
same with myself. car ran like a champ, but went through oil faster than gas.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

My thinking is, if there was an inexpensive fix for scoring in its early stages that would avert needing to rebuild or exchange the engine, then I would see the urgency to get it scoped ASAP upon hearing the start of cold-idle ticking. (I'm excluding the option of pawning the car off on an unsuspecting buyer). But given there is no other fix, my personal preference would be to drive it until it was smoking embarrassingly and/or using oil excessively. Even a qt of oil every 500 miles is still much cheaper than a new engine. If the car could be driven another 5-10K miles or a year, that would give the person time to save up for a new engine, and put that many fewer miles on the new one.

I remember years ago driving cars tens of thousands of miles with piston slap and using more oil than normal. Maybe that colors my outlook. I do understand the concept of wanting one's Porsche in tip-top condition though. And, the concept of being disgusted that these cars have this kind of issue at such low mileage relatively-speaking for German cars. Our '03 e-class ran 130K miles with zero engine issues, our mechanic said he has customers with over 300K on them likewise, no slap, no measurable oil consumption between changes etc. Honestly had I known these Pcars had such problems (aside from the random odd failure) I would not have bought one, and I won't be buying another.

Quick Reply: Name that noise!! Engine tick