Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Fastener Specification Books Now Available! Get 10% off this week!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015 | 12:00 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dporto
Got mine today too! Excellent resource...Thanks Jake, and everyone who made it possible
The books have been more appreciated than I thought they would be. The Knowledge Gruppe is already on the second printing of the 997 book, and I think the first printing of 996 will last less than 2 weeks. Keep in mind, these are only being distributed via Porsche suppliers, not Amazon, or etc.

It wasn't a criticism or a complaint, just an observation
Thanks. This is why the size is stated in the descriptions.

We forget that most of the 996 owners did not come from the aircooled days, and do not remember the similar sized "tech specs" books that were offered by the factory.
Old 11-01-2015 | 01:00 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
We forget that most of the 996 owners did not come from the aircooled days, and do not remember the similar sized "tech specs" books that were offered by the factory.
At least the 996s still have the PDF manuals floating around. The newer stuff is bound to that steaming pile they call PIWIS
Old 11-01-2015 | 01:07 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gnat
At least the 996s still have the PDF manuals floating around. The newer stuff is bound to that steaming pile they call PIWIS
Very true, after the 996 everything comes from POSES, or a PDF based manual that is murder to fumble through. That horrible digital system is why these books were originally spearheaded, and in the beginning we were only tasked with the 997.

The problem with the older workshop manuals comes when using new fasteners, especially those that are TTY. This is because a huge amount of the torques have changed since the original manuals were written, and are not valid for the new fasteners.

The specs in these manuals were verified less than 45 days before being printed, and we will update the site periodically with values that may change. New runs of books will see updates as well, when enough values have changed to warrant it.

Connecting Rod bolt torques have changed 4 times since I started working with M96 engines, as an example.
Old 11-01-2015 | 01:14 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Yeah being able to have the latest info is the only good thing about PIWIS. Unfortunately it's buried under that horrid interface and they exploit the priced per page view model by updating all the pages every year regardless of if anything on the page was actually updated.
Old 11-01-2015 | 01:17 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gnat
Yeah being able to have the latest info is the only good thing about PIWIS. Unfortunately it's buried under that horrid interface and they exploit the priced per page view model by updating all the pages every year regardless of if anything on the page was actually updated.
Its only going to get worse... It would be worse already if it weren't for "right to repair". The Canadians have it much worse, since they don't have the same luck as we do here in the states. Canadian independents flock to classes, because its the only way they can get info.
Old 11-01-2015 | 08:29 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

"It would be worse already if it weren't for "right to repair"."

Soon they'll be telling us we can't work on our own cars (driver-less vehicles and whatnot) and that it's for our own good/safety...I'm sure the lobbyists have been trying to get rid of the "right to repair" rule/law for quite awhile now...
Old 11-01-2015 | 11:53 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

They've been trying to get rid of it since it came to be. The current end runs they are doing is all the special proprietary tools that they make it difficult/impossible for non-dealers to get their hands on and how they are encrypting the ECUs. Earlier this year they even started lobbying to apply the DMCA to the cars (mainly playing with the computers).

Then of course you have the dealers that prey on most people being ignorant of the laws and their rights.
Old 11-05-2015 | 08:26 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Default 996 Fastener Specification Books Now Available! Get 10% off this week!

Got mine, great info and well worth every dollar!!

Quick Reply: 996 Fastener Specification Books Now Available! Get 10% off this week!