996 3.4 Tiptronic oil leak???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 03:27 AM
F1Store
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 3.4 Tiptronic oil leak???

Hi,

I recently discovered some oil on the garage floor, it seems to be leaking from the left hand side of the tiptronic gearbox (see pic). The car is a 1999 C2.

About 18 months ago I had the engine changed due to the infamous oil in the coolant..., before the new engine was mounted everything was changed and overhauled

, IMS, RMS etc, the gearbox was also checked and the car has been perfect until a few days ago when I discovered the oil leak.

I have not been able to get it up on a lift yet but it seems to be on the left hand side of the gearbox.

Does anybody have a clue to what it can be?

Old 09-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If the oil is to one side of the engine and not central on the floor, then check the tubes around the plugs on that side. It could be that one has cracked and is leaking. I take it that your engine, being a 99, has the plastic tubes. Just a thought. You will know better when you jack the car up. Hope its something that can be rectified easily. Is there smoke coming out of the exhaust?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:10 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

Not totally familiar with the tip transmission. There are several atf oil lines that run to the atf cooler. Perhaps one has come loose.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=360-00
Old 09-11-2015, 03:54 PM
F1Store
Track Day

I managed to get the car up on a lift today, but it is really hard to see..., there are some oil drops under left hand side of the gearbox, under the left driveshaft. The engine and the rest of the tiptronic gearbox seems bone dry.

I have attached a few pictures. It is really greasy around the left hand driveshaft, but I wonder if there really is leaking from there?

In one of the pictures you can see a hose over the driveshaft that looks greasy as well but I can't say that the oil comes from there either. It is really hard to see where the oil comes from.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:08 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

That would be the axle (as opposed to Driveshaft - there's technically no "driveshaft" in a C2). When you say "left" do you mean the drivers side (obviously left or right depends on if you're looking at the car from the front or the back)? It looks like the torque converter is on the "right" (i.e. passenger) side of the transaxle, so maybe just the axle seal? Possibly a bearing (any noise associated with the leak?)...I'm quickly getting beyond my depth as I have a manual transaxle...just figured I'd throw out few ideas for you...Spray that area down with some carb or brake cleaner, dry it off and then you should be able to see where the oil is coming from - with all that dirt there it's tough to tell. This being said, it'll usually be close to the "cleanest" oil covered area. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:05 PM
F1Store
Track Day

Yes, it is the drivers side axle. There is no noise at all, I will have to try and get it up on the lift again and try to clean it as good as I can with some brake cleaner.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Store
Yes, it is the drivers side axle. There is no noise at all, I will have to try and get it up on the lift again and try to clean it as good as I can with some brake cleaner.
That kind of looks like an axle flange seal leak. My 996 Turbo's front axle flange seals developed a leak and peering in at them they looked somewhat like what the pics show. The leaks were not bad enough to have fluid hitting the ground but I didn't waste any time. If the diff runs low in fluid a diff repair (or replacement) can run thousands of dollars.

What does the fluid smell like? Engine oil? ATF? Or perhaps diff fluid?
Old 04-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Macster and hope you got the issue fixed. Great pictures by the way I had the same issue a while back and it was a worn/leaking Tip output drive shaft seal that was bad and easy DIY after I found the correct size and part number for the seal. Used one can of engine degreaser sprayed away after I had finished the job and a hosed off the residue after and bam, clean as whistle and looing like the day the car drove off the show room floor.

Quick Reply: 996 3.4 Tiptronic oil leak???