996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My 3.6 to 4.0 Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 11:18 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

"I think we need a sticky "List of small plastic parts and gaskets you should replace to avoid a ****ty experience""

^^^And O-ring sizes/thicknesses for replacements... Seems silly that we can't just replace an o-ring, no? Do we really believe that Porsche had a custom part made for this purpose? Especially on a car that they were looking for economical (cost cutting) ways to produce...

Last edited by dporto; 11-10-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:42 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope this is the end of your frustrations and ends with you having a huge smile on your face and keeping the car...

This thread (and your efforts in general) = EPIC!
Old 11-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

All these little things, equal big things.

A new engine can die, or at least consume oil if things like this are present, and go without being addressed. Things like this add fuel trim, and fuel is solvent that cylinders and rings don't need to see.

I am dealing with a situation similar to this now, with a shop that overlooked several things and they have an engine that is consuming more oil than they believe that it should. Its very easy to blame mechanicals, but if an engine is rich it will have all sorts of issues.

I have seen a bad gas cap, bad evap, and bad purge valve all take out an engine in the past. I've even seen intake manifolds crack at the seams, and only leak when the engine is hot. That one wiped out a cylinder before it was ever found.

The most common issue today is bad injectors, that not even a professional cleaning will address thoroughly. A shop in Vancouver installed a replacement engine into a customer's car after the original engine lost a cylinder. They did nothing to the injectors, and within a few hundred miles the new engine had high oil consumption. They consulted with me, and I put the puzzle together quickly, based on my own experiences. I asked for fuel trim data, and it was clear that the engine was rich in both long and short term fuel trim on bank 2. Then I asked them what cylinder failed on the old engine, and you guessed it, #5!

I told the shop to change the oil back to a conventional (to give the rings a change to seal again) then clean the MAF, and replace the injectors with new ones. Further, I told them to top it off with a heavy dose of sea foam injector cleaner for a few tanks of fuel. They had the old injectors checked, and all of them were questionable, but #5 was hanging open, and had 2/3 of the volume it was supposed to have. Problem found, and a fuel injector cost the car owner a 20K engine.... This is happening more than ever before, and I believe its responsible (at least partially) for the majority of cylinder failures that we see today.

These types of issues can even create low crankcase vacuum numbers (because rings aren't sealing due to excess enrichment), and that can appear to be the symptoms of a failing AOS unit. MAF and O2 codes often come from this, too, but not always (because upstream issues will throw downstream codes) and the list goes on and on.

Its really simple- No intake, or crankcase leaks are acceptable. A component can leak air before it will leak oil. This means that cracked AOS vent tubes, and oil fillers won't be found, since they often suck air, but won't leak oil.

If they are present the engine will always default to a rich condition, which will add excess fuel to the cylinder(s) and then you can stand by for a mechanical issue.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:48 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
I think we need a sticky "List of small plastic parts and gaskets you should replace to avoid a ****ty experience"
this is 100% instalation error. my fault. I used all brand new gaskets on this build.

but yeah...that other peice. I would have never known!
Old 11-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
I think we need a sticky "List of small plastic parts and gaskets you should replace to avoid a ****ty experience"
I recently supplied the guys at www.rndeuroparts.com with all of the spreadsheets that I have for gaskets and etc for each engine designation.

They plan to make O ring and seal kits from these that are based on what is needed, not what the dealer gasket set provides, which is generally too much of what you don't need, and not enough of what you do need.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:53 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jaetee
I hope this is the end of your frustrations and ends with you having a huge smile on your face and keeping the car...

This thread (and your efforts in general) = EPIC!
as much as I enjoyed driving it home yesterday, it wasn't enough to convince me not to sell it. it's still for sale - now without a CEL.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:56 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

They plan to make O ring and seal kits from these that are based on what is needed, not what the dealer gasket set provides, which is generally too much of what you don't need, and not enough of what you do need.
​​​​​​

yes, true. I threw out half the gaskets that came with the pelican kit.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:58 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

the garage also wants me to drain some oil out as it is overfilled right now and they think it's the reason for smoke on cold start up.

said it looks like I am anywhere between 0.5 and 1L over filled. I'll do that tonight.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:08 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
All these little things, equal big things.

A new engine can die, or at least consume oil if things like this are present, and go without being addressed. Things like this add fuel trim, and fuel is solvent that cylinders and rings don't need to see.

I am dealing with a situation similar to this now, with a shop that overlooked several things and they have an engine that is consuming more oil than they believe that it should. Its very easy to blame mechanicals, but if an engine is rich it will have all sorts of issues.

I have seen a bad gas cap, bad evap, and bad purge valve all take out an engine in the past. I've even seen intake manifolds crack at the seams, and only leak when the engine is hot. That one wiped out a cylinder before it was ever found.

The most common issue today is bad injectors, that not even a professional cleaning will address thoroughly. A shop in Vancouver installed a replacement engine into a customer's car after the original engine lost a cylinder. They did nothing to the injectors, and within a few hundred miles the new engine had high oil consumption. They consulted with me, and I put the puzzle together quickly, based on my own experiences. I asked for fuel trim data, and it was clear that the engine was rich in both long and short term fuel trim on bank 2. Then I asked them what cylinder failed on the old engine, and you guessed it, #5!

I told the shop to change the oil back to a conventional (to give the rings a change to seal again) then clean the MAF, and replace the injectors with new ones. Further, I told them to top it off with a heavy dose of sea foam injector cleaner for a few tanks of fuel. They had the old injectors checked, and all of them were questionable, but #5 was hanging open, and had 2/3 of the volume it was supposed to have. Problem found, and a fuel injector cost the car owner a 20K engine.... This is happening more than ever before, and I believe its responsible (at least partially) for the majority of cylinder failures that we see today.

These types of issues can even create low crankcase vacuum numbers (because rings aren't sealing due to excess enrichment), and that can appear to be the symptoms of a failing AOS unit. MAF and O2 codes often come from this, too, but not always (because upstream issues will throw downstream codes) and the list goes on and on.

Its really simple- No intake, or crankcase leaks are acceptable. A component can leak air before it will leak oil. This means that cracked AOS vent tubes, and oil fillers won't be found, since they often suck air, but won't leak oil.

If they are present the engine will always default to a rich condition, which will add excess fuel to the cylinder(s) and then you can stand by for a mechanical issue.
how much oil consumption is normal? I would imagine it isn't much if any
Old 11-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I wonder if you could smoke test the intake to see if there are any vac leaks.

Soft failing fuel pump? eh, that would probably give you lean codes on both banks.

How secure are you on your cam timing? (sorry didn't read every post)
I think we have a winner!
Old 12-25-2016, 12:49 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

car sell?
Old 12-25-2016, 07:46 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
car sell?
unless his Ottawa market is far different that Toronto I think the price is too high. His ad came up a time or two in my searches.

In Toronto absolute top buck in the spring for an nice c4s would be around 33k
Old 12-28-2016, 09:00 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

even a nice c4s at 33k still has a long list of issues that could pop up. My engine modifications address most known failures modes and would be asking an additional 6k if you were to compare to a 33k model. if you ask me, that's a pretty sweet deal. If someone else wants to do this, they are looking at $20k+ the price of the car. I'm in over $45k here....not looking to make money but get some of it back.

the car isn't sold, it's sitting in my garage. where I found a small puddle of coolant yesterday when sweeping around it....judging by the location on the floor, looks like its coming from where the coolant reservoir sits.

another new part going in for the potential new owner...lol. Another afternoon in the garage taking apart something on that car.

I'm in no hurry to sell. I still love driving this girl. And who knows....maybe in the spring she will give me 1 problem free season and I may consider keeping it.

all I want is a nice handling & looking coupe to take to the track 3 or 4 times a year and bring my kids around town and wife on dates. it hasn't been able to do any of that without an issue coming up. I don't mind the odd repair but she's been relentless.

Not having much luck with it and it's frustrating. well....I never had any luck with cars. I just traded in my 10 year old, 250 000km problem free lexus for a warrantied 2015 legacy after my wife said she wanted something newer before the lexus started to breakdown.

2015 car wouldn't start on the 1st coldest day of the year. Needed new ignition relays. good thing it has warranty! ugh. know what probably started? my 10 year old lexus. lMao.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:22 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
even a nice c4s at 33k still has a long list of issues that could pop up. My engine modifications address most known failures modes and would be asking an additional 6k if you were to compare to a 33k model. if you ask me, that's a pretty sweet deal. If someone else wants to do this, they are looking at $20k+ the price of the car.
And those of that understand it know the value of what you've done. The problem, unfortunately, is that you have to find the combination of someone that understands/appreciates what you've done AND has the extra money over an otherwise "good enough" car.

Sounds like you have the right basic attitude though where you'd like to sell, but its not the end of the world if it doesn't. Hopefully when the weather warms you two can get some much needed bonding time to make it all worthwhile
Old 12-28-2016, 09:27 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnat
And those of that understand it know the value of what you've done.
exactly. and so far, the interest has been shown by porsche enthusiasts judging by their questions.

most stop communicating after I tell them I rebuilt the motor at home, in my garage though. lol

Quick Reply: My 3.6 to 4.0 Project