996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My 3.6 to 4.0 Project

Old 07-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiamac
No he is taking a bunch of new parts to a shop and then saying "I will pay you" - and the last part being important.

=)

For non-Porsche engines I know a handful of shops and places around that would be more than happy to work with a person and help as needed. They would get paid, but they also understand that there are people who want to try to do things themselves and want to learn. Didn't Jake get started like that as well?

But anyway, as long as you don't bring them junk or ruined parts I'm sure they would be happy to help.

Porsche stuff is a little more specific but still, there are those two shops I would call and maybe a 3rd. These places support the local scene, they support racers, and I'm sure they would be more than happy to support someone who is rebuilding a engine and did some of the work themselves.
Lots of shops don't like accepting a disassembled engine that they personally didn't disassemble, and having built a few motors, i know why.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:08 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Glad to hear they have been helpful. Looks like you're doing a great job so far. If you do run into an issue, let me know as we are here to help.
you guys have been amazing. really...thanks a lot for all the help and guidance. I've emailed a few questions to you guys and got answers in less than 24 hours....and I haven't bought anything from you guys yet! 2 thumbs up to pelican.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:25 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Lots of shops don't like accepting a disassembled engine that they personally didn't disassemble, and having built a few motors, i know why.
Me too. Having personally known a half dozen shop owners over the years, I've heard my fair share of stories as well.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I agree with that, but the initial issue is obvious & the best solution is properly underway. Someone that has disassembled & succesfully rebuilt a M96 before should have no problem reassembling this engine.

Awdguy I assume you are in Canada, what city?
Old 07-29-2015, 03:42 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

finding a shop to take on the work is not my issue. Finding a shop that has DONE the work is though.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:44 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I agree with that, but the initial issue is obvious & the best solution is properly underway. Someone that has disassembled & succesfully rebuilt a M96 before should have no problem reassembling this engine.

Awdguy I assume you are in Canada, what city?
This is exactly my position also. I'm handing the builder a clean slate. Someone who has put this engine together would look forward to something like this.

I'm from the Ottawa, Ontario area.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:08 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I applaud the work you've done thus far. How long was the wait for LN re-sleeving? The upgrade is worth it... My 3.8 conversion has over 30,000 miles. Post a review once your back on the road.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
^this^... It looks like you've done pretty well so far, and it looks like you've got a fairly comfortable work area. Obviously taking an engine apart is not the same as building one...BUT, if you're diligent and very careful, it looks like you might be up to the task... It might even be a good idea to take one of Jake Raby's "enthusiast" building classes (it doesn't seem like you're in a rush, so this may be a viable option). Good Luck * also read everything you can re: the build and double/triple/quadruple check all information before commiting to procedures.
The only remaining enthusiast M96 102 engine rebuild school of 2015 will be held December 9-12. I no longer allow Pros to attend the enthusiast class, and vice versa. People need to learn things differently if they do this for a living, or for a hobby. The content is the same, and we still build an engine hands on, start to finish.

The 4.0 bore size is the most difficult to properly assemble. The oil control rings must be set up using the 'fish scale" method, as they are a tweak to fit application. Just like file to fit top and 2nd rings, the oil control rings of the 4.0 bore size must also be manipulated. If the engine is assembled as it is, the tensions will be too great, and will result in a less than optimum operating scenario for a Nikisil engine.

I go over this in the Rebuild School, and even further in my M96 103 Hi Performance Engine Class (Sept 12 &13). I developed the procedure to measure and set these tensions, as I pioneered the 101mm bore and made all the first developmental mistakes.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 07-30-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hardback
I applaud the work you've done thus far. How long was the wait for LN re-sleeving? The upgrade is worth it... My 3.8 conversion has over 30,000 miles. Post a review once your back on the road.
just under 8 weeks.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
This is exactly my position also. I'm handing the builder a clean slate. Someone who has put this engine together would look forward to something like this.

I'm from the Ottawa, Ontario area.

Just be sure that whichever builder you go with is wearing a Rolex, these engines seem to assemble better from a person wearing one. Also ask to see if they use extra soft virgin crush washers for the oil plug.

If you're doing it yourself rather than spend the money on Jakes classes buy another "garage" Rolex, since you wouldn't want to get your daily one dirty.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:12 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How much power do you expect with the 4.0?

I will be following the build.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:39 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chiamac
Just be sure that whichever builder you go with is wearing a Rolex, these engines seem to assemble better from a person wearing one. Also ask to see if they use extra soft virgin crush washers for the oil plug.

If you're doing it yourself rather than spend the money on Jakes classes buy another "garage" Rolex, since you wouldn't want to get your daily one dirty.
Rolex's are for posers. timex is where it's at.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:39 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by white out

Jake has posted a 3.8-4.0 before IIRC but not exactly the same thing but gives you an idea...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post12229792
Old 07-30-2015, 01:40 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by white out

No clue, I went with it because it was the same price. after reading jake's posts, I'm wondering if that was smart.

I will be happy with anything over 300 whp

Last edited by AWDGuy; 07-30-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Rolex's are for posers. timex is where it's at.

Just wait!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 3.6 to 4.0 Project