Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

1st m96.3 rebuild I just have one question...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:09 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Not an engine builder here. Just reread the thread. Bored at a volleyball tournament. But it sounds like bored out cylinders 1-3 and put in bigger pistons. Can you do this? Not specifically for a 911, but a boxer engine in general. Seems like there would be a weight difference and a power difference.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Maxtegroom
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Not an engine builder here. Just reread the thread. Bored at a volleyball tournament. But it sounds like bored out cylinders 1-3 and put in bigger pistons. Can you do this? Not specifically for a 911, but a boxer engine in general. Seems like there would be a weight difference and a power difference.
No At the end of the connecting rod everything weighs the exactly the same identical even the compression ratio was the same everything was compensated for boring it out a lot of thought when into this fix and a new engine was 24k the used engine was 14k L&N nikies were like 6k and this fix was like 3500 I think I only fix the cars infact I don't even work at the shop he calls me in it engines tough electrical diags and diesels I work at the local high school so this is the fix we came up with and we went with it and it ran beautifully
Old 04-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Maxtegroom
Track Day

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Are you going to offer a warranty on the rebuild that transfers to the new owner? Because that's how you show you have faith in your work. Anything less is just words.
Oh well it's all words then cz the car is going to auction.. However I'd build another one and I'd do it the exact same same
Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok....can someone explain to me why this wouldn't work if all 6 cylinders were matched?
Old 04-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Maxtegroom
Track Day

Originally Posted by DeWolf
Ok....can someone explain to me why this wouldn't work if all 6 cylinders were matched?
Yes I would also like to know since I got flamed for 2 pages of posts.... I think I found a new fix your welcome
Old 04-11-2015, 09:59 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Not saying it won't work. Saying that auctioning the first car this has been done to is kind of skeezy.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Maxtegroom
Track Day

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Not saying it won't work. Saying that auctioning the first car this has been done to is kind of skeezy.
I wouldn't send a 996 to the block with 2 pistons slapping and smoking like a pig I wouldn't send a 996 to the block with a fix I didn't think would fix the car... My name isn't Roy L. Fuchs!!!!
Old 04-11-2015, 10:20 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 169 Posts

How will the buyer know that the car is a prototype for the new miracle cure for this mode of failure?
Old 04-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Maxtegroom
Track Day

Originally Posted by DTMiller
How will the buyer know that the car is a prototype for the new miracle cure for this mode of failure?
Well that's not on me that's up to the seller whom I disclosed everything I did to it..
Old 04-12-2015, 12:17 AM
aftCG
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxtegroom
It's whatever will get it running and across the aution block... It'll be just fine have no fear.
If this were a solid method of repair then why auction the car off? The owner should be stoked!

In (a weak) defense of the OP, single cylinder repairs are somewhat common on air cooled aircraft motors. But in those situations the entire removable cylinder is overhauled/renewed, not bored out and lined.

I would also not be surprised that it ran "fine' with a mismatch cylinder. Back in the "just fill it with gear oil and put sawdust in the tranny" days my dad helped a guy take apart a ford 302 where someone had removed an entire piston and rigged it such that it ran. GM had the 8-6-4 "technology" and a five cylinder Audi, VW, Volvo idles smoothly enough.

Having just held 100% of the guts from my engine in my hands, I would be shocked off there weren't quite a bit of collateral damage from loose metal.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:18 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxtegroom
No At the end of the connecting rod everything weighs the exactly the same identical even the compression ratio was the same everything was compensated for boring it out a lot of thought when into this fix and a new engine was 24k the used engine was 14k L&N nikies were like 6k and this fix was like 3500 I think I only fix the cars infact I don't even work at the shop he calls me in it engines tough electrical diags and diesels
No.
Its impossible tho compensate for the .030" larger bore o 1/2 the engine. Thats more swept volume, period.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:21 AM
Maxtegroom
Track Day

Originally Posted by aftCG
If this were a solid method of repair then why auction the car off? The owner should be stoked!

In (a weak) defense of the OP, single cylinder repairs are somewhat common on air cooled aircraft motors. But in those situations the entire removable cylinder is overhauled/renewed, not bored out and lined.

I would also not be surprised that it ran "fine' with a mismatch cylinder. Back in the "just fill it with gear oil and put sawdust in the tranny" days my dad helped a guy take apart a ford 302 where someone had removed an entire piston and rigged it such that it ran. GM had the 8-6-4 "technology" and a five cylinder Audi, VW, Volvo idles smoothly enough.

Having just held 100% of the guts from my engine in my hands, I would be shocked off there weren't quite a bit of collateral damage from loose metal.
This guys is a wholesaler thats what he does flips cars and in this case you can just replace half the engine I called parts places they wanted $7.5 for just the cylinders and 718 for each piston I believe the parts for this fix totaled maybe 3-4k something like that and L&N wasn't that helpful this was a great idea and the only reason I shared was because I was proud of my fix and happy my engine ran beautiful after I times it up right... And the rest of the motor was cleaned out throughout and the other side looked great for the price of a head gasket we checked..
Old 04-12-2015, 01:24 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

This guys is a wholesaler thats what he does flips cars
Nothing else needs to be said... Thats the kind of guy who don't give a damn about a Porsche, or the person who has been wanting one all his life, only to buy one and have it fail.

Karma is a mean bitch.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:37 AM
Maxtegroom
Track Day

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Nothing else needs to be said... Thats the kind of guy who don't give a damn about a Porsche, or the person who has been wanting one all his life, only to buy one and have it fail.

Karma is a mean bitch.
Yes but this whole thing is about me not him who cares what he does he flips cars that's what he does all I needed to know was how to time this pig up so I could take a junk porsche and make it a not junk porsche... I feel bad for any mid life crisis dude that buys his $20k dream 996 only to find out that his $24k engine failed before his serp belt needed to be changed because he lives in up state NY.. Thanks for everyone's comments the car runs great
Old 04-12-2015, 01:57 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

How were the bores recoated? Again, if you did this on all 6 cylinders with recoated bores and custom pistons what is the issue? I'm just asking as I'd like to learn.

Anyone?

Last edited by DeWolf; 04-12-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st m96.3 rebuild I just have one question...?