Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

1st m96.3 rebuild I just have one question...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:30 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in a nice moderate to hot climate so my car never really sees cold weather like you guys talk about. If I did live in the colder climates I would look into some kind of engine heater, oil, water or whatever. I AM SPOILED LIVING OUT WEST.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxtegroom
Im not trolling or getting in any arguments but the porsche is going to be just fine
Then perhaps you could fill us in on the coating used on the cylinder?
Old 04-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltusler
Then perhaps you could fill us in on the coating used on the cylinder?

I'm guessing nikisil (but spelling right if that's wrong).
Old 04-09-2015, 12:22 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
How about a simple coolant or an oil pan/sump plate heater (like the TDI guys use)? Plug it in at night, set the times to come on 2-3 hours before the morning and that's it. All one needs is an outlet to plug the cord in. The engine gets coldest when sitting over night. Once it's driven and then parked for a work day, it usually doesn't cool down as much as it does overnight. Diesels don't like cold and my DD has been a TDI for over 10 years so I have some experience with how much and engine cools down from sitting.
The block heater has already been developed and was already offered. It included an external pump (also 110V) that moved the heated coolant through the engine as well, else it didn't work at all. It cost around 1500 bucks and less than 10 were ever sold.

The issue has remained that the pistons expand too quickly. In class about 6 weeks ago I was illustrating why you never build an engine in a cold room. I had one piston sitting on the bench and I grabbed it up and could not slide the piston pin into it by hand. I had an attendee how the piston in his hands for 30 seconds and the pin fell right in. Ltusler was there, ask him!

Im not trolling or getting in any arguments but the porsche is going to be just fine
Until the other bank of cylinders fails, or until the "coating" that was used fails, or until it shakes it's self apart from poor combustion balance. Never mind that the pistons were statically weight balanced, do you actually think that the engine will have consistent combustion when every other cylinder that fires has more compression ratio, and a larger swept volume than the cylinders that fire before and after it?

The knock sensors and safety retardation have to be going crazy! Whats the rough running index on this one? I'd expect it to be triple digits!

I learned when I was a kid that anything that would turn and build compression would run, but what happens after that only time will tell.

Lots of things in this business come down to saying NO! When someone wants to cheap out on something and just pass it on to the next guy, lots of us just have to say no. No one held a gun to the head of the guy holding the wrench and made him take this job on.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:29 AM
RGrove
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Search the forums for my opinions and observations on cold operation. As far as what the factory did, only they know that. I have a lot of comments that could be made, but I won't make them.
Will do, thanks!
Old 04-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The block heater has already been developed and was already offered. It included an external pump (also 110V) that moved the heated coolant through the engine as well, else it didn't work at all. It cost around 1500 bucks and less than 10 were ever sold.

The issue has remained that the pistons expand too quickly. In class about 6 weeks ago I was illustrating why you never build an engine in a cold room. I had one piston sitting on the bench and I grabbed it up and could not slide the piston pin into it by hand. I had an attendee how the piston in his hands for 30 seconds and the pin fell right in. Ltusler was there, ask him!........
What about an "oil pan" heater? Have a billet plate machined or cast to fit into the webbing of the sump plate (the other side would be flat to accept the bonded electric heater plate). These have no moving parts and work great on inline of V engines. I can't see why it wouldn't work on flat sixes (they have oil in the sump so the heat will be transferred and then the hot oil will heat the rest of the engine from the inside.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:36 AM
Maxtegroom
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiamac
I'm guessing nikisil (but spelling right if that's wrong).
Nikasil and we had je custom make us piston and also had the skirts coated to run with the nikasil. This was not a "cheap" fix by any means the guy bought it to flip it well he not making much if anything on it now!! I do have morals I've built plenty of high dollar engines and I'm very well known in my town for doing fantastic work and trusted by all... I was given a job with a budget and this was my solution fix the cylinders that failed... If you think the engine or computer is going to notice the <.25 cube difference your nuts because I put it together and the car purrs it runs and drives like a porsche should!! The only problem I have is the construction of this engine I never heard of a $25k engine failing because it was cold out this freakin engine still had the orignal serp belt on it!! The belt lasted longer than the engine which lasted 42k miles hopefully someone at porsche got fired for this!!!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:16 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might be trusted in your town, but I would never buy a car that you did work on....
Old 04-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Maxtegroom
Track Day

Originally Posted by John Welch.
You might be trusted in your town, but I would never buy a car that you did work on....
That really hurts man I do great work I know I do great work how about I sell u a table seems to be the only thing these porsche engines are good for.. The belt lasted longer than the engine its self

Old 04-11-2015, 12:29 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Pretty, hope you left the guts out of the engine or it's going to make a big dent in the rug.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:48 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

I think all the negative comments are because you are flipping the car. You could be unloading a disaster on someone. I would love to see how this repair works long term. Some people think the motor is going to implode. If it doesn't and you are right there would be another alternative to repair the scored cylinder problem. That would be great. If it doesn't and its your car then it's a risk you took. But flipping the car we will never know.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

I want to see more of the work that was done to the engine. I don't like to jump in and judge people based on a feeling. I want to see the work they did. Being a DIYer in the 996 world is not easy (it's a piece of cake if you have a 928), Those that know (for example Raby) have a business to run so they are not willing too willing to share everything they know and that's fully understandable but the main issue is all the checkbook enthusiasts here that "drink the cool-aid" for too long and then repeat what they read on the internet as if it was their own first hand experience. This is the reason I put my engine fixing project on the Canadian forum 2.5 years ago.

What the 996 world needs is a shift in demographics (I think it will happen pretty soon because the cars are getting really cheap) where most of the owners do their own work and are more than willing to share their knowledge with everyone else. Go look at the 944 or the 928 forum, that's what being a gearhead is all about, not this crap that's going on here. After all, that's what Rennlist should be about and not just one giant advertising platform for a engine builder or two.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Maxtegroom
Track Day

Originally Posted by Imo000
I want to see more of the work that was done to the engine. I don't like to jump in and judge people based on a feeling. I want to see the work they did. Being a DIYer in the 996 world is not easy (it's a piece of cake if you have a 928), Those that know (for example Raby) have a business to run so they are not willing too willing to share everything they know and that's fully understandable but the main issue is all the checkbook enthusiasts here that "drink the cool-aid" for too long and then repeat what they read on the internet as if it was their own first hand experience. This is the reason I put my engine fixing project on the Canadian forum 2.5 years ago.

What the 996 world needs is a shift in demographics (I think it will happen pretty soon because the cars are getting really cheap) where most of the owners do their own work and are more than willing to share their knowledge with everyone else. Go look at the 944 or the 928 forum, that's what being a gearhead is all about, not this crap that's going on here. After all, that's what Rennlist should be about and not just one giant advertising platform for a engine builder or two.
Like I said before we bored out past the scratches a lil before .030 and JE made custom Pistons and got it nikasiled... which I think are the same as LN Nikies right? this engine actually is quite easy to work on and build the only special tool I used was over nighted from Baums tools the wrist pin clip installer and the motor is literally held in by 4 bolts came out in < 3 hours so all in all this was a routine engine build and I've built plenty of engines all kinds of engines and even if it was a customers car I'd stand by my work and I know this fix will hold up how could it not explain?? Brand new machined cylinders and brand new forged pistons sounds solid to me as for the other side it made no slapping noises and made no smoke so only time will tell... My money is on my fix working

Last edited by Maxtegroom; 04-11-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Gram
Old 04-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Maxtegroom
Track Day

Here's the new Pistons I wish I had a pic of the new cylinders but they looked great
Old 04-11-2015, 04:17 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxtegroom

Here's the new Pistons I wish I had a pic of the new cylinders but they looked great
Are you going to offer a warranty on the rebuild that transfers to the new owner? Because that's how you show you have faith in your work. Anything less is just words.

Quick Reply: 1st m96.3 rebuild I just have one question...?