Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea Pete, focus....BABES!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:16 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I'm thinking of coming out to watch....need anything?
I need experience You'll get to see this complete and total rookie tear his car up! I think I'm in good shape - grabbing a helmet later today. Maybe get that rusty green Dodge "tow truck" ready in case I can't contain my excitement in the corners.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by spruden
I need experience You'll get to see this complete and total rookie tear his car up! I think I'm in good shape - grabbing a helmet later today. Maybe get that rusty green Dodge "tow truck" ready in case I can't contain my excitement in the corners.
Man you will have a blast! Let's hope for good weather.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:55 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spruden
Awesome. Can't wait to take a close look at this one. I'm taking mine out to Putnam Park this weekend. Will try to channel some of your experience
You will have a great time and your car will love you for it.
Wish I could go.

Can't wait to see Pete out on the track too.

I think Jake is having too much fun "developing" Pete's car.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:51 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Pete,

Whats the story on the original car? you described it as a roller
Old 04-22-2015, 06:10 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by D6lc
Pete,

Whats the story on the original car? you described it as a roller
The car originally was in CA for the 1st 5 years of its life. 2nd owner brought it to Boston........never garaged it. Winter 2013/14 the car suffered scored cylinders. The car was sold to Jake in April 2014 and the rest is history. I found a pic of the car on 6speed from last Winter. This is the actual car.

So for an update!!!! Final dyno is 326.9 at the wheels. TQ at the wheels is the low 280's. Today is an invasive inspection of the motor and if alles ist gut it comes on home.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,284 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
The car originally was in CA for the 1st 5 years of its life. 2nd owner brought it to Boston........never garaged it. Winter 2013/14 the car suffered scored cylinders. The car was sold to Jake in April 2014 and the rest is history. I found a pic of the car on 6speed from last Winter. This is the actual car.

So for an update!!!! Final dyno is 326.9 at the wheels. TQ at the wheels is the low 280's. Today is an invasive inspection of the motor and if alles ist gut it comes on home.
That picture is probably why Pete ended up with it... Lost cylinders due to cold weather operation.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:10 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm getting hungry for some lobster!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:01 AM
scott240
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome, Pete! Can't wait to see it once it comes home!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, 327 at the wheels is a hell of a lot of power, especially on a Mustang dyno.

How much is it making at the crank?
Old 04-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carmichael
How much is it making at the crank?
And that's the big question. Not willing to get into a dyno #'s debate....and I know you are not going there. I know there is a loss of power from the motor to the wheels. How much? Dunno. I've googled it. There are conversion calculators and different car forums offering formulas to get to HP at the crank. I'm thinking the loss is say 20% so if there is 327 at the wheels divided by .8 that comes to 408 HP. But I could be way off base. My butt will tell me I am interested in ways to calculate it though.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,284 Likes on 901 Posts

There's no debate here. 30' from the chassis dyno I have two engine dynos that are used for development.

On many occasions I have pulled an engine off the engine dyno and installed it the same day, then tested it on the chassis dyno. I know what my engines make at the flywheel based from the data I have derived from these sorts of back to back comparisons that have been done dozens of times. I do not rely on hearsay from forums, generic calculators or anything other than our direct experience under this roof to know the figures from flywheel to rear wheel power.

I will not post my percentages because it will stir debate amongst people who have never operated either a chassis dyno, or an engine dyno. I do my R&D for our benefit, and the benefit of those who believe in us enough to make a purchase. I don't do all of this to share it openly.

The things that impact chassis dyno numbers are all the variables in the drivetrain, to include gear oil, brakes, rear wheel alignment (camber makes a huge difference) and tire type. Pete's car has snow tires on it now, which suck power down like mad by themselves.

His engine is making exactly what it should have. Before tuning it performed in the top 2% of all the engines we have built with this base combination, after tuning its still in the top 5%. I was shooting for 330 RWHP so it wopuld be the strrongest to date with this base combo. I could have gotten it to 330 IF I were to compromise drivability and would have leaned it out more past VVT changeover.

Here the dynos we have are tools, I won't ever allow net numbers to compromise the overall drivability and performance of an engine. When i first had a dyno, around 18 years ago I learned really quickl that the easiest way to lose everything is by comparing peak numbers.

Today I don't give a damn about peak numbners and because of that the area under the curvce will sometimes pick up 40-50 HP more than the engine makes at peak. That area under the curve is what is being used every time the car is driven. Thats why its the most important.

if I hand someone a dyno graph and I watch their eyes be directed straight to peak HP, I know everything I need to know about that person and what they are looking for. They typically will not appreciate anything that we create here.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 04-23-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:54 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Exactly.......I really care whats at the wheels and how big of smile I have. Appreciate the explanation.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:49 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Can I get on the unveiling invite list?

TC
Old 04-23-2015, 04:31 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AA717driver
Can I get on the unveiling invite list?

TC
Ditto - I think I owe Pete a beer or two anyway.

Quick Reply: My turn in the barrel is over......