Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 01:21 PM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...lace_top_picks

1999 original looks good but needs more pics
22.5k and he couldn't clean the leaves off ?
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 01:44 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,830 Likes on 925 Posts

Most people are REALLY BAD at selling cars themselves. I look at ads and scratch my head. A little bit of effort goes a long way. If the owner didn't bother to take a decent photo and clean off the leaves, how did they care for the car itself?
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 02:14 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
Most people are REALLY BAD at selling cars themselves. I look at ads and scratch my head. A little bit of effort goes a long way. If the owner didn't bother to take a decent photo and clean off the leaves, how did they care for the car itself?
Yes, it's just more ammo for a potential buyer to use against you. I understand people that aren't into cars or maybe have never sold a car themselves but I can't fathom why you would put your car on an auction site without doing the bare minimum.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:02 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Looks like the AZ Craigslist GT3 "clone/Tribute" car is back.
But this time it is on PCar Market.
https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...email%20blast#

Well done clone/tribute if you want one.
I personally would prefer it without the GT3 badges. (kind of reminds me of my own car except I don't have any GT3 badges)
Old 03-17-2021, 04:59 PM
cp0009
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

This was for sale last fall and listed on CL for $27K...back up for sale now at $33K. Seller wants $33K and will not negotiate at all even if PPI finds items that need to be addressed. No real service history and IMS has not been done and probably needs a clutch:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...288719488.html

Old 03-17-2021, 06:19 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cp0009
This was for sale last fall and listed on CL for $27K...back up for sale now at $33K. Seller wants $33K and will not negotiate at all even if PPI finds items that need to be addressed. No real service history and IMS has not been done and probably needs a clutch:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...288719488.html
It is at 35k now and I always quietly hope those people who act like this never sell their car. While his assurance that IMSB is fine I would almost certainly work that into the price with the clutch.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:25 PM
cp0009
Advanced

Originally Posted by motoo344
It is at 35k now and I always quietly hope those people who act like this never sell their car. While his assurance that IMSB is fine I would almost certainly work that into the price with the clutch.
I couldn't agree with you more...the clutch, RMS and IMS are a $4k job...guess he raised his price as he is probably getting pushback from buyers about that. I love these guys that try and say that the IMS is no longer a problem because it passed a certain mileage threshold. I always wonder what the real story is when someone buys a car and then puts it up for sale within 6 months...
Old 03-17-2021, 06:35 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

I couldn't agree with you more...the clutch, RMS and IMS are a $4k job...guess he raised his price as he is probably getting pushback from buyers about that. I love these guys that try and say that the IMS is no longer a problem because it passed a certain mileage threshold. I always wonder what the real story is when someone buys a car and then puts it up for sale within 6 months...

When I was selling a 996 911 for a detailing client of mine every single conversation started and ended with "was the IMS done?" The only person that did not make a big deal about it bought it because when he actually came and looked at it he could tell it was a nice car. The car had a decent track record of service, recent issues addressed and was in overall great shape for a 15-year-old car. People get too bent out of shape about the IMS when honestly bore scoring is a way worse of an issue you almost see no one talk about outside of the forum.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:41 PM
cp0009
Advanced

When I was selling a 996 911 for a detailing client of mine every single conversation started and ended with "was the IMS done?" The only person that did not make a big deal about it bought it because when he actually came and looked at it he could tell it was a nice car. The car had a decent track record of service, recent issues addressed and was in overall great shape for a 15-year-old car. People get too bent out of shape about the IMS when honestly bore scoring is a way worse of an issue you almost see no one talk about outside of the forum.
Yup. Anyone trying to sell a 996 should expect buyers (that have done their homework) to ask if the IMS done and will expect a price adjustment if not. But the scoring is a big issue as well; I did a PPI on a 996 in CA a couple of months ago and found the start of scoring in 3 cylinders...not bad, but it was there. Any 996 or 997.1 that I look at now will get a PPI with a bore check from the bottom. It is not inexpensive but it is insurance against getting a scored engine and is a must if the car spent any time in a northern/cold climate.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:54 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Yup. Anyone trying to sell a 996 should expect buyers (that have done their homework) to ask if the IMS done and will expect a price adjustment if not. But the scoring is a big issue as well; I did a PPI on a 996 in CA a couple of months ago and found the start of scoring in 3 cylinders...not bad, but it was there. Any 996 or 997.1 that I look at now will get a PPI with a bore check from the bottom. It is not inexpensive but it is insurance against getting a scored engine and is a must if the car spent any time in a northern/cold climate.
True from my experience, I think many of these guys are just looking to get into a 911 and they only know about the IMS and not the other modes of failure or areas to check. So they give up on a potentially good purchase based on one factor, they could easily buy one that had the IMS changed 10 years ago or recently done but there were a bunch of other issues that might be lurking. As long as a PPI checks out and you can get it for a price based on potential needs there is no reason not to buy one just based on IMS. When I bought my cab it was not done and I factored it into the price, there were some other things that needed to be addressed as well. He was asking 22k and I picked it up for 18k.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:00 PM
cp0009
Advanced

True from my experience, I think many of these guys are just looking to get into a 911 and they only know about the IMS and not the other modes of failure or areas to check. So they give up on a potentially good purchase based on one factor, they could easily buy one that had the IMS changed 10 years ago or recently done but there were a bunch of other issues that might be lurking. As long as a PPI checks out and you can get it for a price based on potential needs there is no reason not to buy one just based on IMS. When I bought my cab it was not done and I factored it into the price, there were some other things that needed to be addressed as well. He was asking 22k and I picked it up for 18k.
Sounds like you got a great deal...most everyone with a 996 now is pushing the pricing and asking silly money for them. It's frustrating when you pay for a PPI and then the seller won't adjust for all that needs to be repaired; had that happen more than once. The seller expects the buyers to overpay for the car because they did not properly maintain it. One other thing about the IMS issue; I see a lot of cars that had the LNE retrofit installed and think it is a one and done procedure. They don't realize that those bearing have a lifespan and they need to be replaced at a regular interval.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:24 PM
c210rg
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel

I personally would prefer it without the GT3 badges. (kind of reminds me of my own car except I don't have any GT3 badges)
Honestly your car is much closer to a GT3 than his, he really does not have any performance suspension parts on it. If I were to do a clone at least I would upgrade the suspension as far as I could to make it handle more like a GT3 than a standard C2. To me and my untrained eyes your car seems a lot closer. And yes the GT3 badges would go quick.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:43 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by c210rg
Honestly your car is much closer to a GT3 than his, he really does not have any performance suspension parts on it. If I were to do a clone at least I would upgrade the suspension as far as I could to make it handle more like a GT3 than a standard C2. To me and my untrained eyes your car seems a lot closer. And yes the GT3 badges would go quick.
Thanks, yeah it should be closer in handling to a GT3 than that one.
Next year, once it has the Flat 6 Innovation Track Performer II 4.0, I expect it will be as quick or quicker than a GT3 too(996.1 or 996.2)...especially where it counts...where it can be used.
I think it will be a LOT more fun to drive than a GT3.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:01 PM
Subourbonite
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel

Ugh...sometimes I just scratch my head at people. Likely spent far more on GT3 badged bits than on actual performance oriented parts like suspension.

Just hope we don't see a future owner here complaining..."but but but the tach said redline was 8200!".
The following 2 users liked this post by Subourbonite:
jobyt (03-19-2021), TexSquirrel (03-18-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 03:29 PM
NikosLee
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 99 LSD REAR WIPER FOR $20k

1999 LSD! 79K-Mile Porsche 996 Carrera 6sp - FirstFlatSix

I should probably buy this... ticks all the boxes and the OZ rims do this car justice! and its a local car!

Gotta love Greg at FF6 for finding these deals!

Last edited by NikosLee; 03-19-2021 at 03:30 PM. Reason: its local

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...