Sponsored by:

Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 01:00 AM
neblackshirts
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
Winston Salem by a mile. Sport seats, great color, manual.
none of those are cars I would really go after unless the price was great.
That is a great color and good options to go with it. Seen it was listed on eBay today started at $1 and was at $17,000 in less than 12hrs.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:21 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

The problem I have with the targa is the profile lines. It's a bit off from the coupe but not as bad as the cabriolet. Would take a targa over cab any day.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts
Default thoughts on ownership

Originally Posted by neblackshirts
True, but I think they all have some appeal over each other. Curious as to why Targa's never seem to get any love, I think I seen something they production wise they are rare than Twin Turbos. But you're right on the apples to oranges, just thought this could be an interesting topic from those with experience.
That's the thing, appeal, you want a 911, but something different, Cab's are different. I've owned 2 before the Targa. The Targa gives you almost the feeling of the Cab. but with convenience of Solid top.
You still get the 911 experience with any one of them, If your considering a Tip, you've even opened your choices farther. Find the best 911 you can find that you like, color, interior, maintenance, and work a good deal. Not a lot of people standing in line for these, per se.

Winston Salem by a mile. Sport seats, great color, manual.
none of those are cars I would really go after unless the price was great.
Bingo, is it a great deal ? Is the maintenance items taken care of? Good color inside and out for you? Are you going to be able to enjoy it right away, or will it need $$$ things done. Unless you do it yourself, this is a expensive asset to own. Even then, it's more than most.

Originally Posted by Vincent713
The problem I have with the targa is the profile lines. It's a bit off from the coupe but not as bad as the cabriolet. Would take a targa over cab any day.
I think its all in angle you look at it or as some think the 911 has to have the rounded curve in rear window. all are different profiles for those reasons, the basic Butzi shape is the same. No one ever asks, What is it ?

My back windows have the Black rounded curve masked in the glass.
The lines on side and top merge together, which is different than the others, as is the opening hatch.
The Open roof look through back window takes minute to adjust to. The additional 150 lbs, I never noticed, lowered CG anyway.

Shot w iPhone 6S + Lightroom

Last edited by Mike Mullins; 05-10-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM
neblackshirts
Intermediate

^^^ That's a good color on your Targa. I personally can't say that I've ever seen a 996 Targa in person, seen plenty air cooled Targa's.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Pulx30
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I love the Targa. Not too long after I bought my C2 a Targa popped up near me in Richmond. Wish I had room for two 996s.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Default Targa

^^^ That's a good color on your Targa. I personally can't say that I've ever seen a 996 Targa in person, seen plenty air cooled Targa's.
Thank you, It sealed the deal to buy it for me.

Originally Posted by Pulx30
I love the Targa. Not too long after I bought my C2 a Targa popped up near me in Richmond. Wish I had room for two 996s.
I always see something else I'd like, it's harder to pull the trigger on something else, when garage space is at a premium.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:54 AM
neblackshirts
Intermediate

Just posted 8hrs ago
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...885557346.html
Old 05-10-2019, 10:56 AM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I am a huge Targa fan. I love Mr mullins Midnight Blue Targa. It certainly is special. The roof provides a whole different experience than a solid roof. The hatchback is super underrated in terms of convenience and usability.

When I bought my Targa. I know i pretty much just wanted a Gaurds red one. I waited and waited, ended up finding a decent one that I paid probably more than anyone else would for the car. In my car experiences, I have always
bought the deal and not the car. I have never owned a car more than 2 years. My red 996 I can pretty much say I would never sell it. I can't find something I can replace it with under 35k that I would rather have.

To be honest, most 996's are silver or black. When something special shows up. It won't last long. The problem with those three cars is 2 are tiptronic and no maintenance mentioned at all really.
That is why I would be a bit leery. For any car to be in 80% condition after 15 years would have had to been looked after quite well is my guess. A car like the Winston Salem one sold and BAT last year and did really well.
It even has Sport Seats. Thats the one to have.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

I am a huge Targa fan. I love Mr mullins Midnight Blue Targa. It certainly is special. The roof provides a whole different experience than a solid roof. The hatchback is super underrated in terms of convenience and usability. Thanks and yeah they are different but better IMO. Best part is making it your own.

When I bought my Targa. I know i pretty much just wanted a Gaurds red one. I waited and waited, ended up finding a decent one that I paid probably more than anyone else would for the car. In my car experiences, I have always
bought the deal and not the car. I have never owned a car more than 2 years. My red 996 I can pretty much say I would never sell it. I can't find something I can replace it with under 35k that I would rather have.

Happy Friday, Mike

Porsche Press Photo

That's the problem you own one of these, what's next 997,991 GT Car?

To be honest, most 996's are silver or black. When something special shows up. It won't last long. The problem with those three cars is 2 are tiptronic and no maintenance mentioned at all really.
That is why I would be a bit leery. For any car to be in 80% condition after 15 years would have had to been looked after quite well is my guess. A car like the Winston Salem one sold and BAT last year and did really well. If you could get it for 1500/2000 less It would be better deal. The color doesn't do it for me personally, not offensive, but not must have.

It even has Sport Seats. That's the one to have.
I had Sport Seats previously, The Supple Leather option I have I like the feel better. The Sports looked cooler though. I think I'm a 6 speed guy and would be my reason to say yes.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:10 PM
joec828
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto...883335146.html

Here's my car up for sale. It's a clean solid car, it had not had the IMS done and will probably need brakes soon, in the interest of full disclosure.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:27 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by joec828
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto...883335146.html

Here's my car up for sale. It's a clean solid car, it had not had the IMS done and will probably need brakes soon, in the interest of full disclosure.
Great looking car and wish you the best with selling it on and with the growing family. Just a heads up, I’m pretty sure the interior is graphite grey, not space grey. At least that’s what it looks like according to the pix and the build sheet pulled with the vin via the CL ad.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:02 PM
joec828
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jllphan
Great looking car and wish you the best with selling it on and with the growing family. Just a heads up, I’m pretty sure the interior is graphite grey, not space grey. At least that’s what it looks like according to the pix and the build sheet pulled with the vin via the CL ad.
Thanks! Good catch!
Old 05-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 819 Posts

****. This is exactly the car I've been wanting to pop up for months now. Exterior color, interior color, blown engine, and local. And of course the timing is all wrong.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:49 PM
neblackshirts
Intermediate

Out of curiosity what are prices of engines running? Would it be a good time to put in something like a 3.8 at this point? I see some mention a 4.0 but that has to be ridiculous in cost.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:50 PM
neblackshirts
Intermediate

Have to admit Red looks pretty sharp on a 996 as does white from the few I've seen.

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...