Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 04:38 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by councillleak
I'm interested in hearing if anyone knows about these mods listed or general opinions on modded vs stock:
- H&R springs
- Fabspeed Headers / Exhaust
- Fabspeed Intake
- IPD plenum and throttle body
- Short shifter
- New to the car clutch / RMS (aftermarket)
Nice and expensive mods.
I have similar mods on my car. (Fabspeed intake/exhaust & GT3 TB)
I know people will talk bad about Fabspeed intakes, but I'm happy with mine, and know several others locally who like theirs.
We have no code issues, and I've seen no IAT issues.
Yes I've monitored my IATs in the HOT Houston area and my temps are not higher than other 996s driven the same route as mine that were also being monitored.

I have a 997 GT3 shifter in mine and coilovers.
You'd have to spend quite a few $$ to build a similar car, but I wouldn't add a lot to the value of the car because of them.
But I do think the price sounds fair to me.
I would ask about IMS, and plan on installing The IMS Solution if it doesn't already have one installed, which I doubt has been done or they would have listed it.

Yeah, I wonder about the "new to car" clutch, but I can think of several scenarios where a VERY slightly used clutch might be used.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Another one I am planning on going to see sometimes this week (because it is closer) is this 2004 C4S in NC: https://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/d...769517475.html
Doesn't say anything specifically about IMS, but I am hoping that someone who would dump that much cash into mods would have fixed that. "New to the car clutch" sounds a little fishy to me though.
Thanks
I was considering looking at that one as well. I asked the dealer if the IMS had been replaced/upgraded and, if so, what brand/model. His exact response:
No idea what brand of rubber seal - the IMS is not serviceable in this era without splitting the cases (full engine rebuild)
I don't have any printed records - just what carfax pics up - the complete documented private owner PCA classifieds would be your best bet for a car with that kinda of history.
Maybe I'm overly sensitive but it came across to me as pretty rude and dismissive, especially since he is dead wrong about the IMS not being serviceable. It was like he didn't want to sell me the car if I was going to ask questions about it. That said, I did take his advice so maybe he did me a favor.
Sounds to me like he knows very little about the car.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:50 PM
councillleak
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Nice and expensive mods.
I have similar mods on my car. (Fabspeed intake/exhaust & GT3 TB)
I know people will talk bad about Fabspeed intakes, but I'm happy with mine, and know several others locally who like theirs.
We have no code issues, and I've seen no IAT issues.
Thanks for the response. Looking for my first Porsche so I'm still trying to figure out what to be on the watch for. I noticed in picture 11 on the screen under the tach it shows "!CHECK" is that standard or is the car throwing an error code?
Old 12-12-2018, 04:55 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by bpoteat
I was considering looking at that one as well. I asked the dealer if the IMS had been replaced/upgraded and, if so, what brand/model. His exact response:

Maybe I'm overly sensitive but it came across to me as pretty rude and dismissive, especially since he is dead wrong about the IMS not being serviceable. It was like he didn't want to sell me the car if I was going to ask questions about it. That said, I did take his advice so maybe he did me a favor.
Sounds to me like he knows very little about the car.
That's going to be the type of response you get from most "used car dealers" - most of those guys take cars on trade or buy them at auctions and plan on a fast flip. Answering questions is not part of the equation (besides, they usually don't have any real answers - they're used car salesman not experts or even enthusiasts). He did indeed do you a favor
Old 12-12-2018, 04:56 PM
councillleak
Track Day

Thanks for the heads up. That's disappointing to hear, I inquired about scheduling a test drive last night and they didn't even respond. I might still head over there just to try and see the car.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response. Looking for my first Porsche so I'm still trying to figure out what to be on the watch for. I noticed in picture 11 on the screen under the tach it shows "!CHECK" is that standard or is the car throwing an error code?
Nope, that's for checking the oil level manually. (Electronic "manually" this is...real manually is with the dipstick)
I don't remember seeing a ! mark, so it might be telling you that the oil level needs to be checked.
Mine gives me the "you need to check your oil level" if I skip the automatic check twice in a row.
Usually that is when I'm stopping a bunch of places in one day.

996: You need to check your oil level!
Me: Yeah, I know I haven't checked it "recently", but it was fine an hour ago silly 996!
Me: I have the +2qt deep sump, so even if I'm a quart low, I'm still ok.
996: You need to check your oil level!
Old 12-12-2018, 06:32 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
That's going to be the type of response you get from most "used car dealers" - most of those guys take cars on trade or buy them at auctions and plan on a fast flip. Answering questions is not part of the equation (besides, they usually don't have any real answers - they're used car salesman not experts or even enthusiasts). He did indeed do you a favor
Yep, if you want a full history, don't shop at used car dealers.
They won't have the full history, and would worry about legal issues if they DID have it and gave it to you.
I don't think that IMS replacement would necessarily require splitting the case in 2004.
Regardless, I'd take a look and if it's the later "case must be split" IMS, I'd open it and remove the seal.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Southernman
Rennlist Member

Saw this one on eBay today. Definitely not one for the purists amongst the group.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323592899459

Old 12-13-2018, 10:03 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Southernman
Saw this one on eBay today. Definitely not one for the purists amongst the group.

1999 with 163,000 miles on it for $25,000. Dumps thousands in it to make it some kind of track looking monster yet doesn't even bother solving the core problem (IMS) with these engines?

What's funny is that the seller puts the line, "TRADES FOR ANY OTHER PORSCHE'S OR SKYLINE GST-R OR GTR R33"

hahaha I think that would be a fair trade. What do you think? lol
Old 12-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
1999 with 163,000 miles on it for $25,000. Dumps thousands in it to make it some kind of track looking monster yet doesn't even bother solving the core problem (IMS) with these engines?
The line I like best is “ engine pretty much rebuilt”.
Whatever that means!
Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Southernman

"ENGINE PRETTY MUCH REBUILT."
Old 12-13-2018, 10:21 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Changing the steering wheel is considered building?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by shootermcgavin
What was done to the headlights?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:55 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
What was done to the headlights?
Looks like headlight armor (i.e. vinyl tint)

https://www.headlightarmor.com
Old 12-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Southernman
Rennlist Member

Low-priced beater for sale in Cincinnati - https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ct...772070670.html

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...