Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 05:48 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by The Ox
Thanks, and yes, the original person told me, yeah we've worked on a lot of 911s, makes me wonder what other people have accepted as "normal". I'm not that guy.

$400 labor (4 1/2 hours, I was there the whole time taking pictures), $39 for the set up piece to bypass the toggle, $20 wires/parts, plus 8.625% NYS tax, $498 out the door. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow when I present them the bill

UPDATE: Presented the bill to the original shop this morning, they were gracious, apologized for my inconvenience, used it as a learning experience and cut me a check. That's the way an ethical shop works, good for business in the long run.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by The Ox
UPDATE: Presented the bill to the original shop this morning, they were gracious, apologized for my inconvenience, used it as a learning experience and cut me a check. That's the way an ethical shop works, good for business in the long run.
It's great that gracious and took care of you, but I have to wonder how many times he's gotten away with the "that's perfectly normal" line... I hate those guys... scumbags
Old 02-16-2017, 03:35 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation on the 2ohm JBL's! Others have used the GTO328's, but I was able to fit the slightly larger GTO428's into the dash of my 2002 w/ Bose. It required hacking up the plastic mounting basket a bit, but I got them to fit and they sound good.

Now if only I could find the discontinued GTO528's to replace the blown door drivers!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:02 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
Now if only I could find the discontinued GTO528's to replace the blown door drivers!
Here you go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-JB...0AAOSwo4pYJ3vW
Old 02-19-2017, 09:53 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone attempted using polyfill in the Bose door speaker boxes? Wondering if that would give a similar increased clarity to what seems to be found when doing the same to the subwoofer.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:17 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Copilot
Has anyone attempted using polyfill in the Bose door speaker boxes? Wondering if that would give a similar increased clarity to what seems to be found when doing the same to the subwoofer.
It's such a small enclosure anyway, I don't think it will make much of a difference. Are you sure you're not wanting a more tighter sound? A clearer sound is a different matter all together and could only be obtained first by eliminating unwanted noises in the car environment... normally around the doors, firewall areas, and all flooring, but remember we're talking Porsches here not Lincolns... exhaust/engine noise in the cabin is a plus. Once you've acoustic treatment around the car's weak areas, then replace the speakers with newer drivers. There are a lot of options from Alpine and other top brands.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool thanks for the insight. Luckily I think we are on the same wavelength - ordered new drivers and some Damplifier/Luxury Liner/Overkill from Second Skin audio. I plan on doing some "tactical" deadening - looking to minimize road noise/vibrations but keep the engine noise as something I can hear. I'll post a thread when I start the project.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:36 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Sounds (pun intended) great! Post lots of pictures... many visual learners on RL. hahaha
Old 03-06-2017, 02:04 PM
mroset
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

Just wanted to share my planned 'spring 2017' project with you all, which should truly bring my '99 911 C4 Cab into the 21st century. (yes indeed, the black one despised by almost every Porsche enthusiast on the planet with Tiptronic, tear-shaped headlights and all, but I really couldn't care less, since I love the looks this car and how it drives, it brings me to cloud no. 9 in spring and summer !)

Now I am not sure yet what type of speaker system is my 911, but it sounds crap as compared to other cars and systems I've owned.
So in my search of finding good material to create a good SQ system (does not have to be loud), I did (or at least I think I did) my research and came up with the following project.

What I have in stock already:
- Pioneer AVIC-F88DAB double-DIN multimedia/navigation unit with DAB+, Android Auto etc.
- DAB(+) antenna
- Double-DIN EuroMotorspeed Double-DIN kit
- OEM Porsche 9965522530101C storage bin for creating the bare minimum in terms of that extra bit of storage e.g. a smartphone (I intend to move the HVAC unit all the way to the bottom, with this just above it)

What I intend to do / intend to order:
- 2 sets of JBL GTO 429 (for dash + rear, which are exactly similar), which I intend to hook up to the 4 channels available on the Pioneer
- 1 set of JBL GTO 529 (for doors), which I intend to hook up to an additional Alpine ampilifer that I will install in the frunk.
- 1 Alpine BBX-T600 amp (frunk), with adjustable filter settings, which will be hooked up to the GTO 529 set in the doors.

What I still need to find out before ordering the JBL's and Alpine:
- Is anything existing installed behind the rear speaker covers ? (Will do an audio test and remove the covers to see)
- Will do the same for the doors.
- Is all the wiring there ?
- Do I have a Bose system or something else ? (I reckon the latter is true, but need to physically check)

OK, that's as far as the plan goes, and as always: 'Fail to plan, is plan to fail', although I'm sure there will be obstacles to overcome.

Any ideas, tips or interest by others in doing the same or something similar in the foreseeable future ? I would be happy to sync with you and describe the steps involved in getting there, including photos.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:33 PM
Red5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I need a new stereo. Mine has stopped working. I don't need (or want) Navigation, DVDs, etc. I'd like a single DIN unit that has BT and a USB. I don't even need a cd player.

Our unit has bose speakers that are driven by a bose amp. Can I keep the speakers and buy a cheap head unit that will work with the bose amp? I'm trying to not get too involved in a stereo system, but I know that in my corvette if you bypassed the bose amp, it all sounded like garbage.

Basic needs here, what do you suggest? It's an 02 cab.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:04 PM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Red5,
Just a simple "Beware if someone installs a deck for you"
I recently purchased a 99 911 with the Bose Factory upgraded system, original Porsche deck sounded like crap and was working intermittently. I went to my local Fry's Electronics since they did such a spectacular job on my '06 Silverado (did deck, all 4 speakers and a subwoofer added). The installer is a smart guy and knows his stuff, but he got in a hurry when doing the deck for the 911. I had them install a Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS. He talked me into leaving everything else and just try the hu out before pouring lots of $ into speakers and such. I liked it. I didn't love it, but the sound is much better. However, he had me order the wiring kit from somewhere else as they didn't carry it and also the amplified antenna adapter. After the install, I noticed that my car would be dead after sitting a couple of days and had to keep it on a trickle charger. Be aware, not all blue wires get connected together if you do it yourself. I am not a wiring genius but my neighbor is pretty good with stereos and we figured it out that the installer connected the blue wire that tells the amp to turn on/off was stuck in a loop since he connected all 3 blue wires to the deck blue wire (I hope this is making sense, I am still a little dumbfounded on it, lol). We cut off unnecessary blue wire, taped it off and now no more dead battery and everything works as it should.
However, I love, as others have mentioned, to listen to the engine more than anything, but simple freeway driving is for music time and I want more sound. It looks like the speakers (I will go with Focals most likely) and Bose amp will go next and also adding a small subwoofer (Kicker Hideaway 8" Low-Profile Subwoofer) will be next to replace. I have the Kicker amplified subwoofer in the Silverado and it is clean and plenty loud enough for me. I don't need to hear the car rattle while sitting at a traffic light.
I wish I would have taken pictures...……..
Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 AM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
I need a new stereo. Mine has stopped working. I don't need (or want) Navigation, DVDs, etc. I'd like a single DIN unit that has BT and a USB. I don't even need a cd player.

Our unit has bose speakers that are driven by a bose amp. Can I keep the speakers and buy a cheap head unit that will work with the bose amp? I'm trying to not get too involved in a stereo system, but I know that in my corvette if you bypassed the bose amp, it all sounded like garbage.

Basic needs here, what do you suggest? It's an 02 cab.
How have you concluded that it is a Bose amplifier? My 03 has Bose speakers, but the amp (since replaced) had no identification on it. Does yours?
Old 08-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Red5
Instructor

Flyfishnick; Thanks for the heads up. I will do more research on the blue wires and such.

thebowl; The speakers say Bose on them. And everything else is stock. I am assuming that it has a stock bose amp as well.

I just ordered this interface.
Amazon Amazon

and a cheap head unit. Hope they both work with this amp. I'll let you guys know if I run into problems. As per the blue wires that turn on the amp. If you leave this wire disconnected won't that leave the amp turned off? Where should I connect said blue wire?
Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

You need to make sure you do NOT have the bose optical system Im pretty sure that did not start until 2003. If not then you are good to go with any nice head unit. CAI has easy install kits all equipped for our Porsches!
i.e https://cai-store.com/products/porsc...rade-kit-98-02
Old 08-14-2018, 12:33 PM
Red5
Instructor

Thank you. I pulled the old unit out and verified that it did not have the optical system. Hope all will go well. I'm starting out with a cheap head unit just to see how everything works. Once I am happy with it all I may invest in a double DIN navigation unit and take on the larger installation. I wouldn't mind having a back up camera. Perhaps I will get a high def front camera with night vision and rive with no headlights. (kidding)

Everything arrives tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here