Sponsored by:

need advice - painting brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:26 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default need advice - painting brake calipers

The clear coat is peeling off of my calipers so I'm going to paint them while I have the car off the road for a few months.

I figure I can get the results I need using spray paint - so long as my prep is good.

Here's my questions:

1) Should I use aircraft stripper to remove the old clear coat and paint or should I just sand them down? Or both?

2) What's the story clear coat ? Can I get a high temperature formulation?

3) Decals - has anyone got a source or do I head ebay?

Thanks - if there's a good tech write up anywhere I'd like to see it. It's hard to search for.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cleaned really good with brake cleaner first, then sanded, then cleaned again with mineral spirits before painting. I used the high temp spray paint. Got the decals from Suncoast. I've not put a lot of miles on since, but everything has been track miles and it has held up well. I just used the regular clear coat.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 AM
palestar
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd like t do this as well, my fronts are starting to peel and would rather go with a red color
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I tried painting mine this winter and was really disapointed by the result, in the end I sent them off to be stripped and powder coated, best $200 I spent.
Here is the post I wrote up:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...nd-refurb.html
Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I had success with the brush-on caliper painting kit from Duplicolor. Did mine in red. I sanded the calipers smooth, but did not remove all the old paint, and then used the cleaner included with the kit. I did not use the crappy brush included with the kit. I bought a better small brush, which helped significantly in getting a smooth application. I applied many coats in succession, as recommended in the kit instructions

I got the high-temp decals from ebay. They seem to work fine. (vendor was "euromotorspeed")

However, I used a duplicolor high-temp engine enamel clearcoat, but it has yellowed slightly on the front calipers after a Drivers Education day, presumably from the heat. You can only see the yellow as a result of the decals being white. (actually, perhaps the decals have yellowed? It was probably the clearcoat.)

The rear decals still look great.

My recommendation: If you are planning on using a clearcoat, put the decals on AFTER applying the clear. That way, they would be easy to replace. Or, skip the clearcoat altogether.

FYI, I followed the advice in this thread.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I did mine a couple of years ago, I got the decals from Wheel Dynamics They weren't very expensive
Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I did mine about 3 years ago using high temp caliper spray paint. Sanded the clearcoat where it was peeling off and sanded off the decals. Cleaned, masked them off and painted with three or four coats. Installed the decals and then sprayed two to three coats of high temp clearcoat. Turned out great and has held up really well. I usually touch up a few spots when the wheels are off.

Note: Don't forget to sand and paint the rotor hats as well!

Here is a pic of the right front caliper and the products I used.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Down South; 07-01-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Fix pic
Old 07-01-2013, 03:22 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the tips gents. Some questions:

1) What are the 3 products you used Down South. I see the red caliper paint of course - and I assume one of the other two is the clear coat. What's the third can?

2) Is that a recent picture ie 3 years later? My only real concern is that the clear coat will yellow up. Have you seen any hint of that happening?

The trick for me will be to find these products up in Canada. There's no guarantee that Dupli-Color imports them up here.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:44 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper

2) Is that a recent picture ie 3 years later? My only real concern is that the clear coat will yellow up. Have you seen any hint of that happening?
Just to clairfy my post above. The yellowing I experienced was definitely from the high temperatures the front brake calipers saw during the DE track day, not from age. The rear calipers did not yellow, and they are the same age. I used the same duplicolor high temp engine enamel clearcoat that DownSouth used.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:08 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Yes - I saw that you cooked them yellow at the track. I may hit the track once or twice over the next few years as well so that has me concerned a bit.

I was wondering if regular street use caused the same effect over time.

I guess I could be concerned about flaking too. It happened to the stock finish after all.

There's lots of advice on the net that says not to clear coat a tall, but then I would expect the decals to start peeling off.

I'm off to Canadian Tire to see what they have for caliper paint and clear coat.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
Thanks for the tips gents. Some questions:

1) What are the 3 products you used Down South. I see the red caliper paint of course - and I assume one of the other two is the clear coat. What's the third can?

The trick for me will be to find these products up in Canada. There's no guarantee that Dupli-Color imports them up here.
Sorry, should have clarified. The pic was taken this afternoon, so that's after three years' use. The third can is what I used to paint the rotor hats, high temp gray/silver.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just sanded ours down (had chipping clear coat too) and cleaned them up before applying the brush on paint kit (local auto parts store). We skipped clear coat due to worry about yellowing. Applied decals the next day, and its held up great so far! Still nice and glossy. If it starts to fade, or look crappy, we still have 1/2 the can left to add a fresh coat.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:36 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

I saw these caliper covers on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310697606910...84.m1423.l2649

$179 for a set of four, and they will engrave a Porsche logo (or whatever else you want) on them. Seems like a good deal and way easier than painting the calipers, and way cheaper than buying painted/powder-coated ones.

Does anyone know if these are a good product? They also claim that it will reduce the brake dust mess.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Getting caliper covers to cover up factory brembos should be considered a sin IMHO.

Do it the right way and skip the covers. You wouldn't want people saying you have a nice car until the see your covers and the secretly thinking you're mentally unstable to themselves.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

OK, consider the covers skipped. Appreciate the feedback.

Quick Reply: need advice - painting brake calipers