Sponsored by:

Relocated spoiler switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Cmanis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocated spoiler switch

Read a post about relocating the spoiler switch and followed a link to an ebay seller in Germany with the switch. It is pretty slick because it taps into the wiring to indicate if the spoiler is up or down as well as replace the awkwardly placed switch from the fuse box. It was a little more involved than I thought because I had to partially remove the instrument cluster, the horse shoe, and the fuse box. It ended up being easy and everything worked when I was done. The switch is easier to get to and the light goes out when it is down.
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you share the link?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Cmanis
Advanced

Will be glad to if I can find it . Searched on spoiler switch. Ebay seller was stefan118hydraulik.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks cmanis!
I just placed an order for one, here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261189842600...84.m1439.l2649
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Eric C
Intermediate

Attention, this link is for the indicator only, it will not control the spoiler. However the same seller also has the switch/indicator (the same but a few more wires).

This link is the good one (if you want the full meal deal): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spoiler-cont...item3cd020b7bf
Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

D'oh. Excellent find, wish I had found this earlier as I ordered a Porsche OEM switch from the newer models but like the indicator light on this. Will order up one of these and sell my new OEM unused switch.

Thanks for posting this. Did it come with good install instructions? If not can you link over the ones you used.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Eric C
Intermediate

There ya go...comes with the full instructions.
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview...040&u=13588582

Trending Topics

Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Share the link? Heck can you share the pics! Great project!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Wausau 911
Instructor

This maybe a way to simple question, but, I have an unused footwell light switch I bought thinking I would add this option to my '04 996. Wouldn't I be able to simply remove the wires from the spoiler foot switch and run similar wires directly to my footwell switch and not use the one located on the fuse panel? Thx for replies - sure glad I found this forum - immense help for someone new to P-cars.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Eric C
Intermediate

Yes you can use that switch and "remote" from the footwell switch. No need to remove the wiring just tap into the existing wiring. You can follow this tutorial: http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...il-switch-mod/
Old 04-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Wausau 911
Instructor

Thx for the reply Eric, last question, why do I need to tie into the PSM switch? Why wouldn't I just run the 3 14 gage wires to the original switch? Sorry, just not that electrically inclined.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Eric C
Intermediate

The tapping into the PSM is to get the illumination into the switch. If you dont want illum than only run the 3 wires from the footwell switch to the center console (also known as the horseshoe). My installation is 3 wires from footwell to new switch and tapping into PSM so all my switches are lit at night. Did the same with the garage opener mod. That was my first mod, easy.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric C
The tapping into the PSM is to get the illumination into the switch. If you dont want illum than only run the 3 wires from the footwell switch to the center console (also known as the horseshoe). My installation is 3 wires from footwell to new switch and tapping into PSM so all my switches are lit at night. Did the same with the garage opener mod. That was my first mod, easy.
Thanks for info, renntech page did not open for me. Was your garage door switch mod illuminated too? I ordered the Targa switch many people use but haven't received it yet, I presume it can be illuminated.

Once I get them and time, I will tear into and then ask more questions when it's laid out in front of me. I am a visual person....

Thanks all!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Cmanis
Advanced

Yes, I thought the instructions were good that came with the switch. I wish I would have been more careful with the connectors behind the instrument cluster as I broke some of the bottom off. The plastic is THIN. If anyone else removes the colored connectors from behind the gauges there is a black tab which the instructions call a cam that you pull perpendicular to the connector (kind of like opening a beer can). Then the connector comes right out. I took the image off the switch because it was a sticker and did not like how it looked.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Cmanis
Advanced

Wausau 911, if you decide to just tap into the existing switch, it is very easy. I removed the fuse cover and then took out the four phillips screws. I was able to work the plug off the switch without taking it apart. You will see the three plugs (pic attached). I wanted the other switch because for some strange reason I want to know if the spoiler is up or down and I can not see it.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Relocated spoiler switch